PDA

View Full Version : Philly cheese steak sub. How and what?

Changeling
06-14-2013, 05:39 PM
I dearly love Philly Cheese Steak Subs! Where I'm at, Maryland, they don't use that cheese wizz stuff, yuk!
My Mom taught me how to cook various things that the family usually ate, (big dishes) but not something like this!

My favorite place to go to for these subs has closed me out because of stopping dating there hostess so I need some help in making my own and not depending on anyone.

They used a soft hoagie type bun.
There was a mixture of green peppers,sometimes others and onions somewhat rare.
The meat tasted like "Top Round beef" to me, was rare and thin cut.
It had mayonaise on it.
The cheese was white (unknown), and had been melted into the sandwitch (meat/onions/peppers).

That's about all I know on the subject. Does anyone know what I'm talking about and how to prepare a Philly Steak Sub correctly?

wch
06-14-2013, 09:46 PM
Double post.

wch
06-14-2013, 09:47 PM
Google "philly cheesesteak sandwich (authentic) recipe" and you'll find the recipe that we use here in central PA- taste tested and approved by Philly homeboys.

Or, you could just pay somebody to stop at the banned restaurant and get one for you!

Changeling
06-15-2013, 01:49 PM
Google "philly cheesesteak sandwich (authentic) recipe" and you'll find the recipe that we use here in central PA- taste tested and approved by Philly homeboys.

Or, you could just pay somebody to stop at the banned restaurant and get one for you!

Thanks wch, I'll search as directed.

I don't understand your last sentance at all about the banned restaurant, is that sarcasm?

Bad Water Bill
06-15-2013, 03:08 PM
"My favorite place to go to for these subs has closed me out because of stopping dating there hostess so I need some help in making my own and not depending on anyone."

What is NOT to understand, after all YOU said it.:kidding:

Lloyd Smale
06-16-2013, 06:20 AM
pretty easy to make. Take a frozen chuck of meat. I use venison but beef will work. I then slice it paper thing with a retractable razor knife. thin is better especially if you have a tougher cut of meat. then i seaon it with a couple cloves of fresh garlic but jar garlic will work, montreal steak sesoning, add a can of mushrooms an cut up some peppers and fry the whole mess in real butter. The take a loaf of french bread and cut it down the middle and add cheese. I like cheese so it put cheddar on one side and mozzerella on the other and nuke it for about a minute to get the cheese starting to melt. Then dump all your fillings on the bread and enjoy. It doesnt get much better and its one of my favorite ways to make venison.

winelover
06-16-2013, 08:49 AM
I'm originally from NE PA. Been eating steak sandwiches all my life. Never with cheese. Always with caramelized onions and ketchup. Only seasoned, with fresh ground black pepper Been using the Walmart Bakery brand, wheat sub-buns. In fact that's what we had for dinner last evening.
Mom use to buy "chip steak" (top round sliced 1/8" thick) from the grocer. Over the years the quality / tenderness has gone by the wayside, on all cuts of beef. I can remember eating sirloin that could be cut with a fork. Like Lloyd, we use venison steak but cut into 1/4" cubes and fast fried in a cast iron skillet. Do not over cook.

Winelover

Changeling
06-16-2013, 02:30 PM
Thanks Lloyd, I wish it could be venison but unfortunately I'm flat out! So I guess it will be top round steak cut real thin like you said. I picked some up at Sam's and some hogie type rolls, provalone cheese, big sweet onions and green peppers. Really looking forward to this.
I'll get the mushrooms tomorrow.

Bad Water Bill, what can I say, I forgot I aded that little tidbit of information about the hostess, LOL! I should have kept my mout shut about that !

bigfelipe
06-16-2013, 02:56 PM
ahhh... the age old debate... provolone vs whiz...

top round works fine. I use it for cheesesteaks and beef on weck. Just make sure it is almost frozen before cutting paper thin. Marinate it in some beef stock and throw it on a hot grill or pan with some of the stock. I like mushroom, peppers, and onions with whiz myself, but don't turn my nose up at provolone either. There are as many "right" ways to make a steak as there are pizzas.

The key to me is finding the right bread. You want a round sub roll filled up so there is a thin wall bread around it with a good chew to it, not a big wide hoagie roll.

YMMV

Lance Boyle
06-20-2013, 11:37 AM
Oh man, yeah, I definitley have opinions on cheese steak sammiches.

#1. The roll is a key, crusty exterior with interior have a bit of chew.
#2 Thin sliced fatty delmonico is what is touted as cheese steak steak. I prefer it but have used local butcher cut top round.
#3 Extremely hot cast iron pan, fry the steaks in a bit of butter, salt and pepper before the flip. Don't flip until it browns/carmelizes.
#4 I like mine with carmelized onions, maybe some peppers, and really prefer the wiz to the other cheeses for this.
#5 It's ok to lick the juices off your hand, mind you, your own hand!

Changeling
06-20-2013, 03:43 PM
Well I made the Philly Cheese steak! However some background. I picked up the ingrediants at SAM's. Then a friend called the other night and wanted to borrow some Top Round, so I just gave her what I had purchased at SAM's fresh. Then the next night I made the PS&C with some frozen top round I had bought at Safeway (Grocery chain store) that advertiss there "Ranchers Reserve Beef" as being so great.

Well the PS&C tasted extremely flat! You could taste the cheese,peppers, onions, but the beef was like eating cardboard (cooked rare). My friend came by to see how my PS&C had came out and I made her a fresh one since all the fixin's were still fresh. Her first words was this thing sucks!

We took out a piece of the frozen top round, she pounded the heck out of it and did a quick fry in the VERY hot cast pan, it was absolutely terrible, not spoiled, just no taste at all, and tough as leather!
Conclussion the meat ruined everything. I have no idea why it was so tastless, but never will buy from that chain again! I just can't figure out why or what was wrong with it!

OBIII
06-20-2013, 10:02 PM
Premium rib eye, partially frozen. If you have access to a motorized slicer, slice it as thin as you can get it. The precise recipe is somewhere on the Diners Drive-Ins and Dives website. However, the steak is cooked on a flat top with olive oil, little butter, onions, S&P, (large cast skillet should work), Add Cheese, squirt some water on the grill (pan) and cover with something (basically steaming the beef and cheese. Serve on hogie with desired accessories.

OB

OBIII
06-20-2013, 10:34 PM
Changeling,
Found it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2exOwlqhDyk
Enjoy
OB

Lloyd Smale
06-22-2013, 05:57 AM
thats why i prefer venison. It has a bit more flavor. Next time try to fry your steak till its browned in spots. Think of it as camelizing the meat like you would unions. you shouldnt need to have it rare as the purpose of cutting it so thin is that its tender even with a **** cut of meat. Also i sprinkle some montreal steak seasoning on it or at least a good dash of pepper. I put salt on the meat just before i put it in the sandwich. Salting it while cooking can toughen meat.
Well I made the Philly Cheese steak! However some background. I picked up the ingrediants at SAM's. Then a friend called the other night and wanted to borrow some Top Round, so I just gave her what I had purchased at SAM's fresh. Then the next night I made the PS&C with some frozen top round I had bought at Safeway (Grocery chain store) that advertiss there "Ranchers Reserve Beef" as being so great.

Well the PS&C tasted extremely flat! You could taste the cheese,peppers, onions, but the beef was like eating cardboard (cooked rare). My friend came by to see how my PS&C had came out and I made her a fresh one since all the fixin's were still fresh. Her first words was this thing sucks!

We took out a piece of the frozen top round, she pounded the heck out of it and did a quick fry in the VERY hot cast pan, it was absolutely terrible, not spoiled, just no taste at all, and tough as leather!
Conclussion the meat ruined everything. I have no idea why it was so tastless, but never will buy from that chain again! I just can't figure out why or what was wrong with it!

Changeling
06-22-2013, 01:31 PM
Thanks Lloyd, I know how to cook it, I do all the time for fajitas and steak sandwitches. It was the beef that was bad, I think it was a cow instead of a steer.
Thinking about it I remembered when I was a kid our milk cow broke it's leg so, my father had us butcher it and cut it up like a deer or hog, it's just the same just a little bigger! Well the meat was so tough and tasteless that one day my mom told us to take the rest of the frozen meat and give it to the buzzards. Sinse none of us would eat it and my father didn't eat beef, there was no sense taking up room in the freezer's.

I picked up some USDA CHOICE top round today for another try at it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OBIL, the guys have already given me a good recipe (read from beginning), it's simple to make (when someone tells you how, LOL).
If I had a Prime Rib Eye steak, my only problem would be how much butter and sour cream to put on a dam big baked potato, when I took that ribeye off the grill, LOLAL!