PDA

View Full Version : Hospital Again

BruceB
06-14-2013, 05:35 PM
A bit over a year ago, complications from diabetes led to the amputation of my left leg just below the knee. I have a new prosthetic leg , but the very poor condition of my right foot has made it impossible to "practice" with the new limb and regain some mobility.

On this coming Monday, amputation of the front third or so of the right foot will get rid of all the toes and possibly leave me with a sort of "club foot" and allow, with proper healing, for some use of the foot without too much pain.... meaning that MAYBE I will be able to use the prosthetic leg on the left side and thus get out of this (expletive deleted) wheelchair.

Right now that area of the foot is very painful, and the Doctor's stated "Reason for Surgery" on one of the forms is "relief of gangrene". Gangrene.... even after all the difficulties to date, that is a frightening and sobering word to see in actual print. Still, after many months of constant pain, it will be a great relief to get rid of the source.

So.... Monday at 0600 I will check in at the hospital in Elko, and the surgery will take place the same morning. Then a couple days or so as an in-patient and thence home for (hopefully) healing. Stitches are to be removed at "four to six weeks". Diabetes can make healing a long and difficult process, so I'll keep my fingers crossed.

The medical troubles have effectively halted my casting/loading/shooting for 18 months. In that time period, I haven't even SEEN the inside of my shop, let alone done any loading activity. YES, I sure do miss it.

NVCurmudgeon visited-and-babysat me for a few days this week as my wife went to a re-union in Canada. He got me out to the range on Wednesday and I actually was able to fire a few-dozen rounds of 5.56(Mini 14) and 7.62 NATO (FAL).

Over these months of surgery and recovery, NVC has been a literal tower of strength to me... his assistance in all things as well as his great moral support have helped me immeasurably.

It's when things are NOT going well, that the true value of a FRIEND becomes most evident. Let it be noted that I am deeply grateful.

Matt_G
06-14-2013, 05:48 PM
Bruce, prayers are inbound.
Hopefully this is the last time and you can start concentrating on getting mobile again.

onceabull
06-14-2013, 06:22 PM
Bruce: Count us among the crowd wishing you all success with this venture..with that will come self mobility... Onceabull and Mrs.SWMBO

LIMPINGJ
06-14-2013, 07:41 PM
Wishing you a speedy recovery Bruce.

Catshooter
06-14-2013, 07:44 PM
I read once that a man is as rich as he has friends. I've found that very true. I hope you have a full recovery.

Cat

skeet1
06-14-2013, 09:42 PM
Bruce,
I wish you all the best and hope for a quick recovery. Prayers sent.

Ken

Jim
06-14-2013, 09:47 PM
You're a tough guy, Bruce. Thinkin' about ya', buddy.

daniel lawecki
06-14-2013, 09:48 PM
Found out a month ago wish you all the luck in the world. With that said prayers sent.

Char-Gar
06-14-2013, 10:20 PM
My prayers and thoughts will be in that hospital with you. Never doubt this fact.

Charles

smokeywolf
06-14-2013, 10:36 PM
Saw my father through your difficulties some 18 years ago. Not an easy row to hoe, but you have to do whatever it takes to stay mobile.
Wish I could be of more than just moral support to you.
You will certainly be on my mind on Monday. Looking forward to an "all went well" from you.

smokeywolf

waksupi
06-14-2013, 11:27 PM
Hang in there Bruce. You kind of remind me of the one guy in Little Big Man. He kept loosing parts, but he kept on going. You will too.

Nickle
06-14-2013, 11:32 PM
You're in our thoughts friend. I see you've got a friend that came to visit, and took you shooting. THise kind of folks are priceless to have around.

Now, you've just made my troubles seem small in comparison, but, if you ever need to chat with an understanding soul, contact me. I know all too well the pain of being laid up, and the complications of diabetes.

MakeMineA10mm
06-14-2013, 11:42 PM
Very sorry to hear of your struggle, Bruce. Will definitely be praying for you. So wonderful to hear about NVC's support and here's hoping your surgery is as solid of a success as NVC's friendship!

smoked turkey
06-14-2013, 11:56 PM
Bruce I feel your resolve in your post to get yourself up and going again! That is an indication that the battle is all but won for you. I will be praying for you over this weekend and especially as Monday rolls around. I pray that all goes perfectly and the outcome is the best it possibly can be. I agree with Jim, you are tough.

Recluse
06-14-2013, 11:58 PM
Incoming PM.

:coffee:

2HighSpeed
06-15-2013, 12:33 AM
You got my prayers. My pawpaw had diabetes and lost his right leg just below the knee and then a year later his leg leg at just below mid thigh. He was up walking about 8 weeks later on his prosthetics. He didn't let it slow him down. The body is a amazing thing, the ability we have at healing ourselves just amazes me. Do your best to eat right and drink a lot of water, it will speed up healing. And once the stitches come out, mederma the site 3 times a day, it will soften the scarring and make the area much less dry and irritated.

RugerFan
06-15-2013, 02:23 AM
God Speed Bruce. Praying for a successful recovery.

Wayne Smith
06-15-2013, 09:07 AM
Continuing to pray for you, Bruce, and your MD's too.

WILCO
06-15-2013, 09:54 AM
Bruce, prayers are inbound.

Ditto for me Bruce.

Brad Phillips
06-15-2013, 10:01 AM
I pray for a fast recovery and the ability to do what makes you happy. I'll be thinking of you on Monday.

9.3X62AL
06-15-2013, 11:38 AM
That NV Curmudgeon is one hell of a fine friend, no two ways about it. "All the best" from Marie, the kids, and I down south in Baja Lone Pine.

white eagle
06-15-2013, 11:47 AM
Bruce
Prayers go out to you
I know what you are going through I went through this with my Father
prayers from our family

Murphy
06-15-2013, 11:54 AM
Bruce, I hope your recovery is going well. You have been a fountain of information and shown yourself to be a fine man.

Catshooter is 100% correct about the only things in life that truly matter, are our family and friends.

Prayer's going up.

Murphy

blackthorn
06-15-2013, 01:27 PM
Best wishes for a speedy recovery from Gail and I!

Gator 45/70
06-15-2013, 02:12 PM
Get well Bruce, Really enjoyed reading your post's.

fecmech
06-15-2013, 03:21 PM
Bruce--You changed the way I cast bullets and I have learned much and enjoyed your many posts. I hope your surgery goes well so you can get back to your shooting and casting.

khmer6
06-15-2013, 03:23 PM
Damn hope you well. I have minor surgeries here and there but nothing major to keep me out. 2 weeks of bed rest was enough to drive me mad

mroliver77
06-15-2013, 04:08 PM
Bruce,
You have taught me a lot about casting and a lot about being a gentleman through your posts. I will be praying for you and all concerned.

A friend you have never met.
Jay

smokemjoe
06-16-2013, 11:04 AM
Prayers on this end also.

jmort
06-16-2013, 11:21 AM
Praying for you in your trials. Your stated plan of adapting to your situation as best as possible is a wise one. God Bless you and your family.

TXGunNut
06-16-2013, 11:47 AM
Would like to add my thoughts and prayers. Hope you get back on your feet and in your shop soon. Reading and writing about cast boolits is fun but not nearly as much fun as puttering around the shop and making a nice pile of shiny boolits.

gray wolf
06-16-2013, 12:10 PM
Bruce
Prayers go out to you Sir, I hope your recovery is swift and sound.
Your a good man and I/we miss your insight and what you offer us all.

smokeywolf
06-17-2013, 02:57 PM
You've been in my thoughts this morning Bruce. Hope all goes (went) smoothly.

smokeywolf

2HighSpeed
06-17-2013, 10:24 PM
I've been thinking about you today. By now your surgery is probably over and your on a good road to recovery. I think I speak for us all when I say we're praying for you and hope you get back up to speed real quick.

9.3X62AL
06-17-2013, 10:49 PM
Like 2HighSpeed, my thoughts were on Bruce and his condition today. I'm hoping for a successful outcome, rapid recovery, and a full return to hobby activities ASAP.

BruceB
06-19-2013, 02:48 AM
Many thanks for all the thoughts and prayers.

We left for Elko at 0300 Monday morning, and I was on the operating table at 0800.

My Doctor seems quite content with the results, and I actually got a look at the site Tuesday a.m.

My remaining foot (once a size-twelve) now measures 8.4" long with the removal of the gangrenous toes. The job is neatly done, so I hope it will heal correctly in the next few weeks.

Fortunately, right now I can use the heel for occasional load-bearing tasks even though it's painful. Getting into or out of the wheelchair and similar evolutions are much easier with one so-so foot.

I'll see the Doctor again next week in Elko for routine checks.

This stuff is no fun.

Dean D.
06-19-2013, 02:58 AM
I'm happy to hear you made it through the surgery and are back with us Bruce. I'm wishing you a speedy and full recovery.

Ramar
06-19-2013, 05:07 AM
Glad to hear the good news. My prayers are for a quick recovery. Be strong.
Ramar

Lefty SRH
06-19-2013, 05:18 AM
Wishing you a speedy recovery Bruce.

smokeywolf
06-19-2013, 05:24 AM
Sure sorry you had to endure such a procedure, but glad it all went as planned. Be sure and follow all the protocols to optimize your healing.

Looking forward to seeing pics of you in your loading room or better yet, at the range.

smokeywolf

Matt_G
06-19-2013, 06:34 AM
I am so glad the surgery went well.
Wishing you and Karen the very best as you continue the journey to better mobility.

kbstenberg
06-19-2013, 07:00 AM
Bruce Good to hear things are getting better. Prayers are sent for your speedy total recovery. Kevin

BeeMan
06-19-2013, 08:15 AM
Bruce,

I haven't been on the board much lately and just saw this. You definitely have my prayers for the best possible recovery and increased mobility without pain.

Well done NVC.

BeeMan

Mk42gunner
06-19-2013, 12:32 PM
Bruce,

Glad things went okay, keep up the positive attitude.

Robert

MakeMineA10mm
06-22-2013, 06:37 PM
Still praying for a speedy and full recovery for you Bruce.

Recluse
06-22-2013, 10:01 PM
Bruce,

Good to hear that things went positive. Hope my care package made it to you all right.

:coffee:

smokeywolf
07-06-2013, 03:14 PM
Bruce, haven't heard much in the last couple of weeks. Hope your getting some mobility back.

smokeywolf

BruceB
07-06-2013, 10:40 PM
Thank you for thinking of me.

The surgery to remove the gangrenous forward part of my foot was done on June 17. Since then, I've been back to Elko twice to see my Doc. The last visit was this past Wednesday, and I will return two weeks from that date. He hopes then to remove at least some of the fifty-odd stitches... healing is very slow due to diabetes.

The pain is still severe, and I can't use the "new" configuration to aid mobility. I hope this will gradually change over the next month or so. Been in this danged wheelchair for about 14 months now, and I'm pretty tired of it.

(There's been a bit of a rash of break-ins and home invasions in this area, and a paddle-type holster adapts rather nicely to the chair. Should be a severe surprise to anyone who wants to try me on!)

I'm looking forward to the day I can return to my shop and bench. In the meantime, all you folks here are helping keep me sane and entertained with your writings on CB. I spend a LOT of time here, every day.

Superfly
07-06-2013, 11:10 PM
Prayers Man, Be carefull, And play niece with the Nurses.

Post what room you are in and hospital so we can call you and give you a hardtime.

Jaime

smokeywolf
07-07-2013, 02:36 PM
Saw my dad through almost exactly what you're going through; except they had to take everything up to mid calf. I think the most important part for him was keeping morale up, maintaining a positive attitude and knowing that he was still going to be doing the stuff he loved. For him at that point in time, that was working in his shop, building a 5 inch scale live steam locomotive.
You won't have to use a prosthetic, but your healing will take longer. Keep up the good mental outlook and you will be back in your shop bellied up to your bench, doing the stuff you love to do.

smokeywolf

DLCTEX
07-08-2013, 10:09 AM
Heal fast Bruce. Praying for you.

9.3X62AL
07-08-2013, 06:12 PM
Bruce, gotta recommend a shoulder rig over a belt holster when seated. MUCH less complicated draw sequence when seated in a car/truck, for darn sure--and rest assured, I've seen such movies more than a few times.

Ha ha ha.......home intrusion at Ragged *** Ranch......only if the perp has a death wish, and wants his corpse opened up as a lead mine after the autopsy. I've seen all those folks shoot, and such a move would be the pinnacle of folly.

swheeler
07-08-2013, 07:17 PM
Dang it Bruce hang in there, it'll get better soon. Scot

BruceB
07-08-2013, 07:44 PM
I sure HOPE it gets better soon!

The outfit that made my prosthetic left leg told us today how they'll approach construction of a shoe for my truncated right foot. It sounds very promising, and it will have built-in "flex" to allow normal motion of the foot's front. This will aid in keeping balance and a more-or-less normal walking gait.

I'll visit their Reno shop in about two weeks to get this project started.

Now, if only the damned foot would stop hurting, so's I can start practicing....

swheeler
07-09-2013, 12:46 AM
Somebody said "what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger" I don't know who said it but I believe them from what life I've lived. I've got a feeling you will be back to doing what you love soon! God bless Scot

BruceB
07-09-2013, 03:57 AM
[QUOTE=9.3X62AL;2294986]Bruce, gotta recommend a shoulder rig over a belt holster when seated. "/QUOTE]

Al, I'm sorry I missed this comment.

Since I'm ALWAYS in the wheelchair when not in bed, the holster issue pretty much resolved itself. I don't actually wear the gun at all! The paddle on the holster slips neatly over a thin steel side-plate on the left side of the chair, and the 642 (or larger!) is neatly presented in a butt-forward position for easy access (didja ever hear of a "cavalry draw" from a WHEELCHAIR?? Me neither.)

In this position, being left-handed, I can produce the smokewagon very quickly indeed... and, until I commence the draw, the gun is virtually invisible down at my side, inside the frame of the chair. I almost wish someone WOULD try something, just to break the monotony. One way to get some company, anyway.

mikeym1a
07-09-2013, 05:04 AM
Really, really sorry to read this. I do hope that this next surgery will give you some relief, and the recovery some returned mobility. God Bless.

Lloyd Smale
07-09-2013, 05:51 AM
You will be at the top of my list this sunday in church pal. Hope stuff starts going a bit better for you.

pmeisel
07-09-2013, 06:45 AM
May God bless and speed your healing!