PDA

View Full Version : Finally got to the range

Freightman
06-14-2013, 02:58 PM
I won two auctions on GB for two muzzelloaders, One was a CVA Frontier Hunter 50, the other a CVA St. Louis Hawken 50 I was impressed with the Hawken three shots and dead center, good trigger, not so impressed with the Frontier Hunter horrible trigger, hard to tell what the accuracy is. I fired it twice loaded it for the third pulled trigger pop nothing , recapped pop nothing, O crud and no puller got to looking the nipple is different small hole cap fits loose, so pulled the nipple off the Hawken installed it BOOM. the guy I got it from had put a pistol nipple in.
Shot all shots with my homemade BP and finished off with my Shiloh 45/70 with my BP fun day

Fly
06-14-2013, 03:50 PM
Fun shooting with powder you made by your self, an't it.Great to hear buddy.Welcome to
the dark side.
Fly :awesome:

GREENCOUNTYPETE
06-14-2013, 04:46 PM
I find i have to tune the nipple to the brand of caps i am using , i learned how from here , and it makes for a lot more fun when it goes bang every time.

I also replaced the rear sight on my CVA Kentucky with a marbles bullseye sight http://www.marblearms.com/bullseyeSights.html

I like the longer sight picture not obstructing the target with a simple brass blade up front for targets i blacken it with soot from a lighter. I need to put it on paper at 100 yards ans see what the group looks like , but at 25 it looks great on paper , and at 100 meters it hits rams nice if i use my part

Freightman
06-14-2013, 06:04 PM
I have 1000 + caps give me the link I need to use them up

Whiterabbit
06-15-2013, 12:10 AM
I'm jealous. I take ONE muzzleloader to the range and by the time I'm almost done with it and thinking about the next one my wife is already calling wondering why the hell am I not home. Golf wives don't give their husbands so little slack!

Freightman
06-15-2013, 09:54 AM
When you have been married 53 years they don't call anymore :grin: they are glad to get you out of there way :bigsmyl2:

Randy C
06-15-2013, 10:00 AM
When you have been married 53 years they don't call anymore :grin: they are glad to get you out of there way :bigsmyl2:

Over 30 year's and I don't get a break you would think I was 20 and had 18 inch arms again.

Randy C
06-15-2013, 10:01 AM

Over 30 year's and I don't get a break you would think I was 20 and had 18 inch arms again.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
06-17-2013, 09:04 AM
maybe you can interest her in shooting a bit , my wife used to like the club corn boil and turkey shoot , with raffle back when we lived in a different town they even had a playground for the kids, now she comes out shooting a few times a year she has a pistol she likes.

Whiterabbit
06-17-2013, 11:19 AM
no way. no way! It costs enough to feed one person's shooting habit. If I got my wife into shooting no way in HECK I'd get her into reloading! Then I'd have to reload enough to feed TWO habits! :D

Better she don't like shooting.

OverMax
06-17-2013, 04:07 PM
Back to the subject matter. Substituting parts for missing originals. You got to wonder what else has been replaced with something else not quite right. Some of those gun dealers there and a few of those without a FFL license that sell also? Well you fellows know.__ "Leaves a little to be desired!!"__ But it does sound like you did well on one rifle but maybe you indeed can make a__{silk purse out of a sow's ear}__ concerning the CVA Frontier Hunter. I won't even consider buying a traditional muzzle loader without a double set trigger. Have a couple T/C traditional's here with single triggers. They suck too and are__ "Mummy's Entombed in the Closet here." Yes in dee dee.

O/M