PDA

View Full Version : Quetion for the LR guys

Boz330
06-14-2013, 01:21 PM
I've been shooting a Gibbs in LR competition locally but the fact that I need 2 new knees is making it less than pleasurable. Mean while the BPCR guys are just laying down for the whole match doping wind and shooting at their leisure.
I have a chance to pick up a Pedersoli Sharps Hunter for a little over $500. It has a 30" barrel and weighs 10.5lbs. Would I be wasting my time with this rifle? I figure I can always have it re-chambered if necessary but with PP I'm guessing that I should be able to get near as much powder in it as the Gibbs. The sight radius is going to be shorter but cross sticks instead of a sling and wrist rest will somewhat offset that.
I was trying to get a NIB C-Sharps 45-100 with a 34" Badger barrel from a friend but he said that he never sells a gun. Sort of strange since he has had this gun for years and has never fired the first round through it. LRMLs are his bag for the most part and he is good. In cartridge that would be one less to compete against. Your thoughts.

Bob

Dan Cash
06-14-2013, 02:09 PM
If you put a good set of sights on that Pedersolli, you will find it to be fully competitive if that model has set triggers. Hoke rear sights are at the top of my using list followed probably by MVA. Kelly is my preferred front. They now make a long tube front that provides a really great sight picture in bad light..

Boz330
06-14-2013, 02:34 PM
Dan, I planned on that. With my old eyes the light always seems to be bad. Should have started this when I was in my 20s instead of late 50s. Adrenalin sports were the preferred fix back then though.

Bob

John Boy
06-14-2013, 06:54 PM
I have a chance to pick up a Pedersoli Sharps Hunter for a little over $500. It has a 30" barrel and weighs 10.5lbs. Would I be wasting my time with this rifle? Not at all ... all Pedersoli barrels are made to match grade standards

oldracer
06-14-2013, 07:39 PM
Hey there Bob, I have a Pedersoli/Armi Sport Sharps that was worked over by Doug Knoell with a 6x scope that I'll trade for your Gibbs? I have been trying to buy one and when one does come up I don't have the money and then when I get it saved up none are around? What doe you think? I'll even throw in 60 loaded rounds that are setup for the gun!

Chill Wills
06-14-2013, 09:42 PM
I've been shooting a Gibbs in LR competition locally but the fact that I need 2 new knees is making it less than pleasurable. Mean while the BPCR guys are just laying down for the whole match doping wind and shooting at their leisure.
I have a chance to pick up a Pedersoli Sharps Hunter for a little over $500. It has a 30" barrel and weighs 10.5lbs. Would I be wasting my time with this rifle? I figure I can always have it re-chambered if necessary but with PP I'm guessing that I should be able to get near as much powder in it as the Gibbs. The sight radius is going to be shorter but cross sticks instead of a sling and wrist rest will somewhat offset that. Bob

Hey Bob, I do not think the sight radius will hurt you any. You may be the exception but the 10.5LB rifle may be the factor that wears you down over the course of the day.
Give it a try. For the low price you can always get your investment out of it should you want to. Plus, if you shoot it a season, you may later want to put (rebarrel) a #4 or even #5 barrel on it to tame the recoil and have any caliber you wish.

I think you told me you were a long range muzzle loader some time ago when you sent me a tang sight for my boys' #4 roller. I bet we shot some of the same Oak Ridge matches in years past. Please post how this turns out.
-Michael Rix

country gent
06-14-2013, 11:37 PM
I havent done any Long range yet, I have been working up and getting ready to try BPCR Shiloettes later this summer. I have a Pendersoli long range ( Cabellas Model). 34" barrel half round half octogon. Ive upgraded the sights to a long range soule rear and wind adjustable front. Im getting it shooting pretty good now. The Hunter model with the appropriate sights and loads should be fine and very useable. The limiting thing I see is mentioned above recoil in the lighter rifle may be an issue. But at $500.00 there is room for a rebarrel job also. I have a Green Mountain Tapered octogon blank here ( 38 cal 1-12 twist) I bought a year or so ago, if memory serves it was $280.00. The pendersolis are very good rifles and will shoot very well, Ive heard alot of good things said about them. But in the end you make your choice pay your money and take your chances. Another thing to keep in mind a little routing in the fored and drilling in the butt stock and lead can be added to bring rifle up to 12Lbs or so pretty easy. Doing this also allows you to adjust the balance of the rifle to what you want. It dosnt improve sight radious but the added wieght will reduce felt recoil. Just some added thoughts I had reading over the postings.

CanoeRoller
06-15-2013, 10:29 AM
I agree with Chill Wills, the weight will be most detrimental factor in this rifle. My first BPCR rifle was a 45-70 Rolling Block that weighed a whopping 8 1/2 pounds. This gave me a slight advantage at the Chickens, if I shot that round first. By the end of the matches though, I was really whipped, there was just too much recoil for a long string of shots. I was much younger than now, and I wonder how I could complete a match at all then.

Once I had my first sharps, I rebarreled the Roller to a 40-65 and I am much happier with it now.

montana_charlie
06-15-2013, 01:51 PM
I have been trying to buy one and when one does come up I don't have the money and then when I get it saved up none are around?
The Gibbs in this sale is still available ...
http://bpcr.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6770

Out of curiosity, what parts were combined to create a Pedersoli/Armi Sport Sharps?

CM

oldracer
06-16-2013, 05:20 PM
CM, I went and looked and the rifle says Armi Sport on the barrel but on the label on the box it says AC Armi Sport, 45-70 caliber, 32 inch barrel by Pedersoli in little letters? I am guessing the barrel came from another company but the other Sharps I have which is one of the limited edition USA Shooting Creedmoors, the barrel was like glass inside but the one with the scope looked like the dirt road to our shooting range in Dulzura! All the roughness was in the whole barrel so I lapped them out and that made a world of difference in how it shot. I get confused about who makes what over there in Italy as Armi makes Chiappa I think and also Cimarron's but the guy I bought my Creedmoor commemorative from said it was actually made 100% by Pedersoli? At any rate they both sure shoot well.

Thanks for the link and I will contact the seller to what he says.

hickstick_10
06-16-2013, 07:07 PM
Hey there Bob, I have a Pedersoli/Armi Sport Sharps that was worked over by Doug Knoell with a 6x scope that I'll trade for your Gibbs? I have been trying to buy one and when one does come up I don't have the money and then when I get it saved up none are around? What doe you think? I'll even throw in 60 loaded rounds that are setup for the gun!

How do you cross a pedersoli with an Armi sport?

oldracer
06-16-2013, 07:50 PM
I didn't, the box said it as I noted above. Some of the shooters that shoot at the range where I go say they can not understand what is in most of the Italian guns as they seem to all be made the same way and by the same people?

CM, I tried to post a private message to the guy in the link above and got errors? So I tried looking at his past posts to see if I could find any contact info for him and most of the posts came up in a Russian character set???? Do you have any idea who that is or how I can get into contact? Thanks.

montana_charlie
06-16-2013, 09:32 PM
I get confused about who makes what over there in Italy as Armi makes Chiappa I think and also Cimarron's but the guy I bought my Creedmoor commemorative from said it was actually made 100% by Pedersoli.
Sounds like other people get confused, too. The Creedmoor Commemorative Sharps is a Chiappa product, for sure.
http://www.chiappafirearms.com/product/808

Anyway, Chiappa is a firearms manufacturing firm which owns several 'brands' and Armi Sport is one of them.
Pedersoli is just Pedersoli. They make a ton of different kinds of rifles but, they are all 'Pedersoli' guns.
Cimarron is an importer. They import Pedersoli products, and others, too. I think they sell Armi Sport guns, and I'm pretty sure they also handle some Uberti firearms.

I'll see what I can find out about getting in touch with the elusive Mr. Theodore.

EDIT ...
I did try to PM him through the BPCR.net site.
It appeared to go through normally, and I alerted him to see your post in his thread.

UPDATE ...
I have received an answer from HPguy420 saying he got my PM.
I suppose he will make contact with you.

Press on ...

CM

johnson1942
06-17-2013, 12:00 AM
a dead mule in the buttstock and a good slip on butt pad will tame any thing ive come accross. got out my muzzleloader that is a fasttwist .45 and weighs 9 lbs yesterday and shot off of the deck for a while. the bullets were 400 grains and 620 grains, the powder load was 120 2f. it snorts but didnt hurt me. angle of stock has a lot to do with it but so does a high quality butt pad and if needs be a dead mule. if the gun is quality and you like it you can make it shoot and also enjoy it.

Boz330
06-17-2013, 09:13 AM
Thanks for all of the thoughts on this rifle. I figured I could go with a BA recoil set up. It comes a lot farther up over the shoulder than the Past pad. The LR matches aren't quite as many rounds in as short a time as the Silhouette matches so that should help. I also shoot a 40-65 in the metal banging game.
Personally I like a shorter barrel but at 800, 900, and 1000yrds I've been shooting that 35-1/2" barrel Gibbs and I was wondering if it would hurt me significantly. I like the Gibbs just don't like all of the jumping up and down that goes along with it. The cross sticks are also definitely a little easier than a sling and wrist rest.
Mike, I've only been doing this a little over a year and haven't made any of the Oak Ridge matches. Dick Hoff and Kenn Heismann got me into this stuff and they hardly ever miss one of the Oak Ridge matches. It seems like the matches always come up when I can't get away from work easily. Dick and Kenn are semi-retired and have a little more latitude. I feel like I'm semi-retired from the income but I have to make hay while the sun is shining.
The 40 Pedersoli that is for sale doesn't say what twist the barrel is. There were 2 different twist rates the latter being a 16. I forget what the early twist rate was but it was very slow for a LR gun. Knowing Dan's reputation I would think that it would be the faster twist, but I would sure check.
Oldracer, Thanks for the offer but I haven't decided for sure that I want to get rid of the Gibbs yet. It could be that once I get my new metal knees and get use to them that I may go back to shooting the ML. There is one guy that we shoot with that had both of his replaced a year and a half ago and he is doing OK with the LRML. In fact he is on the US Team going to South Africa for the world meet this Sep.
I hadn't thought about adding the weight to the stocks for recoil relief but that is also an option. Thanks again for the the thoughts it is very helpful.

Bob