PDA

View Full Version : Shoulder Holster for Ruger Blackhawk?

Jeff82
06-14-2013, 09:53 AM
I'm thinking of getting a shoulder holster for my 0.357 Ruger Blackkawk with a 6.5" barrel. It's not for conceal and carry, but to wear for target shooting, walking in the woods and plinking ect. I'm just wondering from a overall comfort perspective if anyone else has used a shoulder holster for a large sized revolver.

Thanks.

Shooter
06-14-2013, 10:20 AM
Yes, 6.5" is not so bad, but 8"-12" requires a shoulder holster.
I use a Bainchi X-15, uncle Mike's bandolier full flap holsters, and a uncle Mike's Cross strap shoulder holster.
The X-15 and the bandolier are the most comfortable.
The nylon straps on the other uncle Mike's are so stiff they are uncomfortable. I buckled them together and made a bandolier out of it.
The full flap bandolier is the easiest to put on and off and, protects the gun completely .

Bullshop
06-14-2013, 10:44 AM
Because it is more difficult for me to see the front sight (now) on short barrel pistols my Ruger single actions of which I have two in the Bisley model in 357 and 45 have 7.5" barrels.
What seems the most comfortable field carry for me is over the shoulder on a sling just as a rifle.
What I have done is to D&T the bottom of the grip frame (steel frame) and install a QD sling stud. On the barrel between the front sight and the ejector rod housing I install a barrel band type QD sling stud.
This carry points the muzzle to the front or rear depending on which way you sling it.
The sling can also be used to steady your hold by removing the front swivel and connecting it to the rear so both ends are connected to the grip frame and having the sling around your neck. This works especially good with the no-skid stretch type slings.

pietro
06-14-2013, 10:46 AM

I tried shoulder holsters, but found them to be uncomfortable, so bought a Bianchi 4100 Ranger H.U.S.H. (HUnting Shoulder Holster), which comes with either a retention strap or a full flap. ( IIRC, the 4101 is for scoped/red-dotted pistols).

http://images1.opticsplanet.com/755-405-ffffff/opplanet-bianchi-ranger-hush-rh-system-holster-rh-system-flap-14254-14275-main.jpg

http://www.bianchi-intl.com/ranger-hush-system

The HUSH is a cross-chest, bandollier-type holster made of Cordua nylon, and available in either black or green camo.

When I was actually hunting/shootin/stalking, aka: the pistol in my hands, the holster was easily slid around toward the back of my off shoulder, and out of the way.

nagantguy
06-14-2013, 10:49 AM
I like the. Cross the chest bandioler best for my long barrel black and red hawks. Makes it easier to get in and out of vehicals while hog and. Coyote hunting.

BRobertson
06-14-2013, 12:09 PM
I also use the Bianchi Ranger bandolier holster for my hunting revolvers, (7" Redhawks, 7" Freedom Arms, etc)

Have used them for close to thirty years,

They are very light compared to any leather holster, and they don't absorb water, which is important when you hunt in an area

that rains over 200" per year!!

Best prices on them is Optics Planet

Bob

W.R.Buchanan
06-14-2013, 01:18 PM
I have seen some Cross Chest Holsters from Mernickle that look pretty good. I see alot of guys who fly fish in AK use this type of holster as it is high up and easy to get to if you need it. I think for a big pistol this is the best place to carry the gun, other than on your hip, because when you draw the gun you are not covering any part of your body with the muzzle.

This feature might come in handy if you are confronted with some real danger and are prone to spastic movements under duress.

Shooting yourself in the arm with a .44 might not be the best thing to do when confronted by a "Charging Griz!"

Randy

Lefty SRH
06-14-2013, 07:25 PM
I agree with Randy, I prefer a chest rig for a larger revolver. They are more comfortable than shoulder rigs. The 2 I have are made by Diamond D Leather in Alaska.

LUCKYDAWG13
06-14-2013, 07:35 PM
this is what i use made by pistol packaging 73583
i had my son take the pick will fit over
my winter hunting coat