PDA

View Full Version : muzzleloader in thiland

johnson1942
06-14-2013, 09:46 AM
was watching andrew zimmern last night on his travel eating show on t.v. he was with rural men hunting huge rats to eat. the one guy had a muzzle loader that looked real nice. it was a half stock with at least a 38 inch barrel . all the metal was very bright and shiny, it was very well taken care of and looked new. andrew said it was a flintlock. it looked as if their were no ramrod pipes. it was quite impressive. i thought it might be made from stainless. are these home made or what do they have their? it would be interesing to get a close look at it. i wonder if they make their own black powder? maybe the whole world is going back to basics.

drhall762
06-14-2013, 11:44 AM
Probably home made. I have one that was made in Viet Nam in the 1960's that looks like it may be over a hundred years old but it isn't. Flintlock and all hand made. Except for the fact that part of a tin can was used for a barrel band you wouldn't know.

fouronesix
06-14-2013, 12:26 PM
Likely home made but who knows. Could be from anywhere or from various combinations of parts. I've seen them all over Africa where most rural gun ownership is strictly outlawed. Local smiths make them (lock, stock and barrel) and the general designs can be traced to regions. Same for the Middle East and SE Asia. Picked up a US Civil War musket not long ago that was a WWII 1945 bring back from Burma/Nepal! And yes, home made black powder is common in those areas of the world where extremely tight gun/ammo/powder restrictions are in place.

Whiterabbit
06-14-2013, 12:36 PM
Draconian gun laws force every nation to go back to basics.

drhall762
06-14-2013, 02:35 PM
Make sure you are prepared NOW! Beat the rush.

DangerousDrummer
06-15-2013, 07:32 AM
Now that I can make bullets. My next mission is to learn to make black powder. My final mission will be to create electronic ignition for my CVA creating a "eternal" muzzleloader. It will be my only gun that can be shot without a trip to the gun store. I feel it is a worthy objective.

Whiterabbit
06-15-2013, 01:28 PM
My final mission will be to create electronic ignition for my CVA . I feel it is a worthy objective.

http://i3.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/004/128/BRILLIANT_.jpg

If we are gonna shoot inlines which don't count as real guns anyways, let's bastardize the whole thing so it doesn't steal primers away form our cartridge guns, and minimize the effect on our powder stores for the real muzzies.

brilliant!

I have a handi rifle that requires electronic ignition. Let me know how you're thinking about accomplishing the deed. Bonus points if it mounts to the barrel and takes a AA battery or smaller.

rhbrink
06-15-2013, 06:59 PM
Ever heard of a Flintlock?

RB

Whiterabbit
06-15-2013, 08:31 PM
no, whats that

Sixgun Symphony
06-16-2013, 07:27 PM
Now that I can make bullets. My next mission is to learn to make black powder. My final mission will be to create electronic ignition for my CVA creating a "eternal" muzzleloader. It will be my only gun that can be shot without a trip to the gun store. I feel it is a worthy objective.

You have that self sufficiency with flintlock firearms.

Whiterabbit
06-16-2013, 08:53 PM
I treat my flintlock as a prized possession (it is) and priceless investment. I do not treat my inline with such delightful care. It's the kind of gun that could do with becoming a project gun. Much more so than, say, a trade rifle if I wanted an equivalent in flint.

missionary5155
06-16-2013, 09:20 PM
Greetings
You can even back peddle a bit more and build a matchlock. Imagine living where there are few rivers and creeks.
Mike in Peru On the northern edge of the driest deserts on earth.