PDA

View Full Version : Older Lee Pot

oldskeetshooter
06-14-2013, 09:17 AM
:redneck:Gotta love ths forum, especially for us older cheap..sorry, FRUGAL guys.
I have an older Lee Pot. I got it used in the early 80's and used it for muzzleloader balls. It looks similar to the Production Pot IV. The base has ribs running front to back and the name plate is square as compared to, what appears, a 6 sided plate on the newer models. I am starting to cast and size my own bullets. (rookie)

Questions: Which parts are interchangable from the newfangled one to my antique? I was considering refurbishing as this thing looks pretty rough. I can probably clean up the valve and seat, but the covers are pitted and rusty looking.. Will high temp paint work on the outside parts, or should I leave well enough alone. The pot itself appears to be in decent shape as there has been alloy in the pot for 30 years..

Any recommendations?
Thanks
Bill

dromia
06-16-2013, 04:30 AM
Contact Lee see what they know and have.

Vinne
06-16-2013, 12:24 PM
If the stand is sturdy and the pot will heat up, I would keep using it!

Idlplumb
06-22-2013, 07:54 AM
I was actually looking at bidding on an older lee pot online. I kinda have the same question...if she doesn't look pretty but works right, is there anything I need to worry about?

PhilB
06-22-2013, 03:52 PM
:redneck:Gotta love ths forum, especially for us older cheap..sorry, FRUGAL guys.
I have an older Lee Pot. I got it used in the early 80's and used it for muzzleloader balls. It looks similar to the Production Pot IV. The base has ribs running front to back and the name plate is square as compared to, what appears, a 6 sided plate on the newer models. I am starting to cast and size my own bullets. (rookie)

Questions: Which parts are interchangable from the newfangled one to my antique? I was considering refurbishing as this thing looks pretty rough. I can probably clean up the valve and seat, but the covers are pitted and rusty looking.. Will high temp paint work on the outside parts, or should I leave well enough alone. The pot itself appears to be in decent shape as there has been alloy in the pot for 30 years..

Any recommendations?
Thanks
Bill

I had a pot like the one you describe. Bought it used and cast with it for several years before it wouldn't hold temp. The temp control and heating element from the Prod IV pot are the same so I ordered a new temp control from Midway. After installing the new control the pot worked great for part of a casting session and the heating element gave out. Ordered a new one from Midway and couldn't get the pot up to temp after that. Midway had sent me a 220volt element and I didn't realize it. I sent the pot in to Lee and they called and offered to replace it. Lee gave me credit for the new temp control and heating element and charged me $36 shipped for a new Production Pot IV. If I'd had the 110volt heating element for the old pot, I would still be casting with it.

Hardcast416taylor
06-22-2013, 04:21 PM
You`ve got the same pot as I have from the last century. I just got a new bunch of parts from LEE to refurbish it. The melt pot and control valve rod cost a whopping $11, shipping was another $5. Call LEE to talk to a rep about what parts you want and cost.Robert

John Boy
06-22-2013, 04:29 PM
I have a Lee 5# pot that has no temperature control. On the label says something to the effect that the temperature will cast bullets ... and it does

Iowa Fox
06-26-2013, 01:08 PM
I started with a 5# Lee dipper pot in 1970, then a Lyman mag 20, then a old Lee 10# bottom pour. The Lees are still going strong but I can't say that for the Lyman, plus Lyman will not sell most parts directly to the user. A great big thank you from this old guy to Lee Precision for your products and the product support you give us, I appreciate what you do for us.

Vinne
06-30-2013, 12:00 PM
I just returned a few items to LEE for their lifetime 1/2 price replacement. The day they received the items, they send new replacement items...NO QUESTIONS ASKED!!! This included a set of very old and rusty dies. Iowa Fox is right. Great product support!!!

gwpercle
07-02-2013, 01:03 PM
Titan Reloading, a sponser, has a lot of replacement heating elements and controls and possibly other stuff for refurbishing melters. I have an old production pot and the parts were not expensive, am going to get the parts most likely to wear out because you don't know when they will become unavailable....that happens to me all the time.
Gary

Patrick L
07-03-2013, 08:04 AM
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb157/patrickl_01/Casting%20cabinet/GunStuff027.jpg (http://s204.photobucket.com/user/patrickl_01/media/Casting%20cabinet/GunStuff027.jpg.html)

When I upgraded to a 20 pound Lee pot, I used my older 80s vintage 10 pounder as a feeder pot. Removed the base and mounted it right to the wall of the casting cabinet. They are great pots, despite their meager expense!

Vinne
07-03-2013, 09:29 PM
Great idea!! I was thinking of doing something like that to supply hot lead to my shot maker.