PDA

View Full Version : Used Taurus RB 454?

osteodoc08
06-14-2013, 02:46 AM
I've got a friend that's fallen on hard times and wants to sell me a Taurus RB 454 for $500. He's not sure if he'll be able to "pay me back" anytime soon so he offered me up the Raging Bull. I'm not crazy about Taurus, but figured it was in 454 and everyone "needs" one, right? I really want a Smith 460, but I figured this would be a good adventure into the MegaMagnums. I can either

A. Pick this up and hope it doesn't grenade

Or

B. Tell him I just don't have the funds right now.

Also, any issues with cylinder length on these like their tracker line?

Thanks guys.

RobS
06-14-2013, 09:47 AM
Had one and it shot well, quite accurate. I didn't have an issue with it other than the end of the barrel and porting building up with lead.

Gunslinger1911
06-14-2013, 10:46 AM
Same as RobS - really like mine, no issues other than said lead buildup. A real fun cannon, just under my 500 in "wow" factor !!
BEST feeling grips of any hard kicker I've ever shot !! Wish such grips were available for the S&W 500!

joec
06-14-2013, 04:45 PM
I have one I picked up last month for $805 out the door with a 6.5" barrel in stainless. Shot 50 rounds through it last week all but 20 where my reloads and all I can say is it is a great gun period. I looked for one for over a year till I found this one buying a can of Gun Scrubber in a small gun shop locally. They just got it and was putting it out when I spotted it. Worth every bit of $500 dollars. Oh and guys Taurus are a lot better guns than most would imagine but to each their own, but they do blow a hole in you get what you pay for.

osteodoc08
06-14-2013, 07:36 PM
I might have to seriously consider it then. I was trying to hold out for a smith 460. My LGS has 2 Smith 500's. I think 1000-1100. A 5" gun and a 8" gun (approx).

I just don't want to dump $500 and get a lemon.

Decisions decisions. I really want a true "Big Bore" to satisfy by big boom cravings.

Edit: should I be concerned with shooting lead out of it with the porting? I know Smith offers an insert on the 460. What about the 500? How do you clean it out of the Taurus?

Lights
06-14-2013, 08:29 PM
If there is anything wrong at all with it ever, do not worry. Taurus will fix it. It has a lifetime warranty. Best part is the warranty is not for the lifetime of the original owner only. It is for the lifetime of the gun.

Groo
06-16-2013, 10:41 AM
Groo here
If it has a good trigger your fine.
Taurus tested the RB by allowing any employee shoot it and put many K rounds of factory through them.
Mine is an early Polished 6 in and has a great trigger,the problem is the DA grip hits me bad so I use top 45 ruger or starting 454 loads with 250ish bullets.