PDA

View Full Version : I need a little help with a Lee 4-20

SourMash
06-13-2013, 08:16 PM
I just bought a used, but in great shape, Lee 4-20. I was using it the other day and all was good and then all of a sudden it just quit pouring. I don't really know what to do here. I'm assuming that the pour hole has some debris in it but I don't know how to go about cleaning it out...safely!! The handle works properly and the stopper thing raises up as it should. Any help would be welcome! Thanks again,

Andy

kdiver58
06-13-2013, 08:31 PM
I just use welding gloves and pick the whole pot up and pour it into aluminum muffin tins or some other mold small enough to get it back into the pot when the nozzle has been cleaned . Also if you take a coat hanger, cut it off , bend a 1/2 to 3/4" piece at a 90 degree angle and sharpen it. You can sometimes have some luck poking the nozzle clean. You can also get a ladle to get most of the melt out if you don't want to pick up a full pot. Then use the above ( pick up the whole pot ) to pour the last little bit out. Make sure you keep the pot hot when trying to clean the nozzle. BE CAREFUL !!!!!!!!

GP100man
06-13-2013, 08:34 PM
Andy , First WELCOME to :cbpour:

Now for the problem ,first bring it to temp, then fashion a large paper clip into a large L ,hold it with pliers & insert it into the spout ,it should dislodge anything that`s small enuff to enter it. If this does`nt work you`ll have to empty the pot to clear the spout.

Be carefull !!

imashooter2
06-13-2013, 09:26 PM
The spout will "freeze" on a bottom pour while the alloy in the pot is still molten. Try turning the thermostat a little higher and wait a few minutes for the pot to get hotter and the spout to unfreeze. If you are certain the pot is hot enough, the paper clip method above works well. Hold the valve open as you probe the spout and when it clears, let an ounce or two of your alloy run out to flush the seat before you stop the flow.

williamwaco
06-13-2013, 10:20 PM
The spout will "freeze" on a bottom pour while the alloy in the pot is still molten. Try turning the thermostat a little higher and wait a few minutes for the pot to get hotter and the spout to unfreeze. If you are certain the pot is hot enough, the paper clip method above works well. Hold the valve open as you probe the spout and when it clears, let an ounce or two of your alloy run out to flush the seat before you stop the flow.

This is the most likely cause of your problem.

I use a butane charcoal lighter to heat the spout until it flows again.

The paper clip is also a good tool but it will not help if the spout is "frozen".

bangerjim
06-13-2013, 10:43 PM
Those 2 screws on top of the fill lever are there for a reason.

The short one adjusts the flow rate.

The long one - the shaft that goes to the bottom and the actual valve stem, has a slot so you can spin it. That will many times help unclog the hole if it has junk is in it. just use a screwdriver and turn it back & forth several times and try poring again.

Also the above mention of heating the nozzle works. Every so often my 4-20 will not start, so I heat up the nozzle with a little butane torch.

works for me!

bangerjim :drinks:

skeet1
06-13-2013, 11:06 PM
I have been using a one of the extended nose charcoal lighters like williamwaco said for some years now and it works great for getting the spout up to temp. I'm not saying that your spout is not plugged with crud but using a lighter is a lot easier than dumping the pot to find nothing. I hope this fixes your problem.

Ken

SourMash
06-15-2013, 08:44 AM
Thanks! I feel confident that I've had the pot hot enough to pour, actually I need to get a thermometer because I probably got it too hot. I will try the paper clip method, that sounds like it will work. I have turned those screws on top with no luck. Thanks again, and I'll be sure to let you fellows know how it turns out!

Andy

Mk42gunner
06-15-2013, 10:21 AM
Andy,

I used a Lee 4-20 for several years before I lucked into my RCBS Promelt. I never had to run anything into the spout to unclog it; I did however have to warm the spout several times. Not having a BBQ lighter handy, I used a propane torch. It doesn't take much time, or heat.

Since you have moved the flow adjustment screw; be cautious when the alloy gets liquid, and the first time you open the valve.

Robert

SourMash
06-17-2013, 06:49 AM
Just wanted to thank you guys again. I was able to clear it up by using the paper clip trick. Now I just need to take the time to sit down and get a decent process going. I was able to play around and make a few good boolits, but then it was time to go. Thanks again!