PDA

View Full Version : .357 mag to .357 max handi rifle

JohnSmiles
09-24-2007, 10:25 PM
Hey fella's.
I sent in my .500 Handi for some repair work and while it is there I am having .357 mag and .45LC barrels fitted to the frame.
My intentions are to ream the 357 out to a 357 max, or to have it done if need be.
Maybe even ream the 45 out to 454 at a later date.
I know some of you here have done this, or had it done, and was wanting some info, tips, do's/don'ts, results, etc.
Also wondering if anyone had purchased a 357 max reamer and was willing to rent it out and if so how much.
Any and all input is welcome here.
Thanks,
John

rockrat
09-24-2007, 11:10 PM
I'll take a look. Think I have one out in the shop

09-25-2007, 09:24 AM
I reamed a Handi from mag to max and enjoy it very much. Only moderate success with 200 grain "J" bullets from Hornady. Haven't had the time to try any other boolits. Waiting on a group buy to arrive from Lee. It's a very gentle shooter even when I max out the load per the loading manuals. If you can rent a reamer, can listen to instructions on how to use it, and take your time doing the job, it's a very, very easy procedure on the Handi-Rifle. Good luck.

JohnSmiles
09-25-2007, 09:37 PM
I'll take a look. Think I have one out in the shop

Thank you!
I would be very thankful.
John

OBXPilgrim
09-25-2007, 09:55 PM
You ought to check out the chamber of the 357 mag first. I've got one & the "throat" is already 357 MAX length, the chamber is already cut long enough to fully chamber (.030" extra) .360 Dan Wesson - itermediate length between .357 MAG/MAX. Might get you real close to what you want without doing anything to it - always have the option to ream it later.

rockrat
09-25-2007, 11:18 PM
Had to check to see if I could find my reamer, before I got your hopes up by telling you I had one. Found it. It is a simple rechambering job. Take out the extractor, use a good tap wrench to hold the reamer and cutting oil and should take you less than 5 min. Hold the barrel verticle if you can. You are welcome to use it, all I ask is that you pay for shipping both ways and be careful with it. It is a Manson reamer.

GLL
09-26-2007, 05:24 PM
Rockrat:

Does your Manson reamer produce a straight 0.358" chamber throat or a tapered SAAMI style throat?

Jerry

JohnSmiles
09-26-2007, 07:24 PM
Had to check to see if I could find my reamer, before I got your hopes up by telling you I had one. Found it. It is a simple rechambering job. Take out the extractor, use a good tap wrench to hold the reamer and cutting oil and should take you less than 5 min. Hold the barrel verticle if you can. You are welcome to use it, all I ask is that you pay for shipping both ways and be careful with it. It is a Manson reamer.
You are too kind sir.
:-D
I would gladly do all the above.
I will be in contact with you when I get my guns back from the workshop.
:drinks:

JohnSmiles
09-26-2007, 07:26 PM
You ought to check out the chamber of the 357 mag first. I've got one & the "throat" is already 357 MAX length, the chamber is already cut long enough to fully chamber (.030" extra) .360 Dan Wesson - itermediate length between .357 MAG/MAX. Might get you real close to what you want without doing anything to it - always have the option to ream it later.
I will be sure to check it out first.
Thanks!

rockrat
09-27-2007, 04:24 PM
GLL

If I remember correctly, the Manson reamer specs call for a six degree taper. Been awhile since I corresponded with them.

GLL
09-27-2007, 05:56 PM
Rockrat:

Thank you for the info ! :)

Jerry

JohnSmiles
12-06-2007, 11:01 PM
Got my Handi back with both extra barrels.
The 45 Colt was out of stock so I did not get them back in time to open the 2007 Indiana deer season with sadly.
And it seems I will indeed need to ream out the chamber, as a .357 MAX cartridge will not chamber.

Rockrat:
If the offer still stands, get me your addy and shipping costs and I will get some money sent your way.
Thanks,
John

rockrat
12-07-2007, 01:37 PM
PM sent

JohnSmiles
01-02-2008, 08:54 PM
PM sent

Just wanted to say thanks again!
Reamer worked great and was sent back Monday.
I will have to let you know how well the Max chamber shoots later this spring.
(And the .500 and the .45 Colt for that matter)
Glad there are still a few folks around like you on this sight.
Just glad to help a fellow shooter out when possible.

:drinks:

Cheers!

Hope you all had a great Christmas, and wishing you all a wonderful New Year.
:Fire: :Fire: :Fire: :Fire:

John

Pardini
01-08-2008, 02:44 AM
I too had the bright idea to ream out a .357 mag to max several years ago. Mines a Ruger #1. I started testing a few loads with it, never had any sucess. On the way home from the range after day 2 of load testing my ammo boxes turned over and mixed all my test loads together. I lost interest in it after that. In fact, I just shot up all the jumbled loads a couple of months ago.

If anyone has a promising load as a starting point, please share it. I've had the itch lately to have another go at it, but don't have a whole lot of time to devote to it. I could never find any rifle data for a .357 Max and am very cautious when it comes reloading into the unknown.

357maximum
01-08-2008, 03:31 AM
I too had the bright idea to ream out a .357 mag to max several years ago. Mines a Ruger #1. I started testing a few loads with it, never had any sucess. On the way home from the range after day 2 of load testing my ammo boxes turned over and mixed all my test loads together. I lost interest in it after that. In fact, I just shot up all the jumbled loads a couple of months ago.

If anyone has a promising load as a starting point, please share it. I've had the itch lately to have another go at it, but don't have a whole lot of time to devote to it. I could never find any rifle data for a .357 Max and am very cautious when it comes reloading into the unknown.

Rem 7.5 primer (thee primer in the max)
start at 20.0 grains Vhit N-120 or H-LilGun and work up from there watching for "the signs" both for accuracy and pressure.
just about any 170 to 220 grain gas checked chunk of lead may work if it "FITS" right. The RCBS 180 & 200, the lyman 358315 as well as the lee custon 360-220work well in me 15" "peestol"....I can take it all the way up onto the heels of top end 35 rem as far as velocity is concerned,,,but YMMV,,,be safe out there....

Bill Vrooman
03-02-2008, 04:04 PM
Hi John: I would like to take you up on the use of your 357 mag.max reamer,please contact me on your protocol for shipping and returning of reamer.
Thanks,
Bill