PDA

View Full Version : Aneat/Up North press vs hydraulic

ohnomrbillk
06-13-2013, 09:42 AM
I was talking to my machinist buddy about the press, and he brought up a reasonable point.

If you need a press that big to do your swage, as in bigger than a reloading press, would it not be logical to power the thing with hydraulics or otherwise?

Any thoughts appreciated.

clodhopper
06-13-2013, 11:38 AM
Just speculation on my part, but hydraulics are very powerful. As a newb still waiting for carefully made dies. a little "feel" might be a good thing.
Yes I have touched a corbin hydraulic press. While I was checking it out, it was down. The owner was waiting a new punch to replace one neatly bent into a squiggle by the power of hydraulics.

BLASTER62
06-13-2013, 06:48 PM
The Hydro press works well for making all types of bullets, you have the abillity to slow the machine down to do fine work as in pointing. You can add as much pressure as needed to fill out the jackets, the pressure sensing system will repeat the same every time when set up correctley. You dont have to feel it like hand presses and you can set the delay so the cores will fill out the same every time. Setting the speed will insure you will not have folds on point forming, plus you can make core wire! Just my 2 cents.