PDA

View Full Version : Hoke Long Range Tang & Baldwin Front Sight.

huntrick64
06-13-2013, 07:53 AM
Based on several recommendations from the rest of the gang here, I just bought these two sights for my Pedersoli 1874 45/70. All I can say is, WOW! These two guys know how to produce quality machined products. My eyes are very limiting to my ability to shoot open sights at longer ranges. With the ladder sight and blade that came with the rifle I couldn't see the tiny 4" bull at all from 200 yds. I could see it without looking through sights, but bring the gun up and it disappeared. With the adjustable rear apperature in the Hoke, and the replacable inserts in the Baldwin, I can actually see that little tiny dot of a bull even at 200 yds! The most impressive part of the Hoke was it lack of backlash and easy in which to read the MOA. It also returned to zero everytime as I changed yardages. Plus, this thing utilized gibb screws so you can keep a constant resistance on the windage adjustment. This will be nice as things atart to wear a little in the future. The Baldwin fit my gun like a glove and it so easy to change inserts. The coolest thing about it is the spirit level is build inside the tunnel which keeps it out of the glaring sun. I thought it was going be hard to see the bubble, but when you settle into the gun, it is in plain view right under your front aperature.

Now I am off to working up loads for my Lyman, "out of round by .005" Postell 535 gr. bullet. I can almost hear that thing wobbling as it heads toward the target. My wife and kids are buying me the four full-size silhouettes for my birthday, and then I can really put my eyes to the test.

If you are considering either of these sights or both, do it. They really are the best available and they make a hugh difference.

Tatume
06-13-2013, 01:26 PM
Hi Rick,

I have a Baldwin rear sight on my CPA 45-70 and I agree, the quality is unmistakable.

Take care, Tom

Clay M
06-13-2013, 08:15 PM
I have not had any luck buying a Hoke sight. Not too sure they make them any more.

Dan Cash
06-13-2013, 08:29 PM
I have not had any luck buying a Hoke sight. Not too sure they make them any more.

Kermit Hoke retired from his tool making business and is making all the sights he can from his home shop. He does not need to advertise; word of mouth keeps him more occupied than he really wants to be.

Clay M
06-13-2013, 09:15 PM
Kermit Hoke retired from his tool making business and is making all the sights he can from his home shop. He does not need to advertise; word of mouth keeps him more occupied than he really wants to be.

Do you have a contact #. I wanted to buy one of his sights for my Sharps.

Thanks

huntrick64
06-14-2013, 06:40 AM
Clay - Sent you a PM

Hiwall55
06-15-2013, 02:41 AM
Glad you like your Hoke sight,It will last a lifetime,Bill

Clay M
06-17-2013, 06:32 PM
Thanks for the info. I called today and got on the list. He said it would be about three weeks.