PDA

View Full Version : 58 Remington conversion question

mdevlin53
06-13-2013, 06:28 AM
I know this is a question i am going to have to decide for myself but i thought some opinions might be interesting.
I have two Peitta 1858 remington pistols. one is a 5 1/2 inch barrel with standard sights and the other is a 7 1/2 inch barrel with target sights. I can afford one gated Kirst Konverter and i was wondering which one to modify. I like the way the short one points but the long one is more accurate. What say you?
Michael

nhrifle
06-13-2013, 06:36 AM
Is one more special to you? If not, flip a coin I guess...

Wayne Smith
06-13-2013, 07:41 AM
Purpose in so doing? If the short one points well and is accurate that way how do you plan to use it? Cowboy reaction shooting? Carry? If the long one has some special application that would work well with cartridges, change that one.

I don't know this, but what are the odds that you could use one for both?

curator
06-13-2013, 07:55 AM
You will need adjustable sights with the conversion and shooting heavier conical bullets. The gun will shoot much higher than with a round ball. I would go with the longer barrel and target sights.

44Vaquero
06-13-2013, 08:05 AM
The short one sounds like more fun! I have 2 of the full length barrels converted to .45 ACP and love them!

You can see the jig I built for doing the conversion at the link below.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?113462-1858-Remington-Kirst-45-ACP-conversion&highlight=1858+remington

docone31
06-13-2013, 08:24 AM
Do you have to download the ACPs?
How does the ACP compare to the .45 Schofield load with BP?
Those are handsome pistols
I would also go with the 5 1/2 barrel also. They do fire high. You will need to either make a taller front sight, or cut the hammer notch deeper.

mdevlin53
06-13-2013, 10:42 AM
I love the jig not to complicated and no aerospace materials needed-cool. I think this might be a walking in the woods gun so i am leaning twords the short barrel. A bit quicker out of the holster.

44Vaquero
06-13-2013, 02:16 PM
Decone31, no I do not down load the .45 ACP @ 750 to 850 FPS it is well within the Konverters stated limits. I am currently shooting a lighter Lee boolit (160 gr.) that hits much closer to the POA.

Mdevlin53, I am pleased to hear you like the jig. It was a work smarter not harder invention since I was converting 2 pistols and wanted them to be the same. The most important about it is that it keeps the sanding wheel under control at all times! Be prepared to spend a at least an hour cutting the notch with a sanding drum.

mdevlin53
06-13-2013, 06:47 PM
44Vaquero
What was the diameter on the sanding drum that you used. I have one for my dremel that is just a shade bigger than the 45 colt rim. looks like it might work.

44Vaquero
06-13-2013, 07:41 PM
Mdevlin53; The drum I used was 1/2 inch, I think it was a 3 grit combo pack from Harbor Freight. I will warn you now when you are finished cutting the notch you must break the edges with a small file. They will be sharp enough to cut you!!

mdevlin53
06-17-2013, 06:41 PM
Well here is an interesting twist. In order to install the mason ejector on a pistol with a 5 1/2 inch barrel you must remove the loading latch retaining stud. luckily I just mastered that repair technique on the long barrel version I have. I fit the cylinder using the original cylinder pin and it just took a few strokes of a stone on the "foot"to get it right. I have to tell you the Mason ejector is a pretty shoddy bit of work the two welds broke with the slightest bit of pushing. (email to Kirst to see if they back them up)
I built a jig for cutting the loading gate after 44vaqueros design, while I don't have a nifty little air motor I was able to make an arm that snugs up on my dremmel and it looks like it will work just fine. Once I am done I will post the results.

Edcknives
06-17-2013, 07:27 PM
I have a number of these and the cylinder, even with the loading gate, which is not necessary to utilize should fit into both pistols as a drop in. I also have the acp cylinders also but be aware these guns are not hardened to the same tolerances as most modern pistols which means any copper plated bullet will burn out the rifling grooves dramatically faster. So using lead cast is a must for both LC and ACP. Most ACP factory rounds are plated. Most LC rounds are not. You can shoot some of the plated rounds but a steady diet of them won't fair well on the barrel. The ejector issue is as stated above not an issue with the longer barrel. Get the ejector setup for the 7 1/2" and leave the ability to be able to drop it in for the 5 1/2" would be my suggestion.