PDA

View Full Version : Just found a Martini

skeet028
06-12-2013, 08:18 PM
Bought an old Martini 310 bbl'd action. No stock or forend. Bore is good and it all works like it should. The fellow that owned it died a few months ago and his granddaughter is cleaning out the whole mess. Not being into single shots esp foreign made ones I have no idea what I can do with this thing. It seems to have been made by BSA and was sent (or ordered) by the Aussies. Can any one give me an idea what this thing can stand as far as conversions..Trying to decide whether I want to build a rifle on the action or just sell it. For an old military type of arm it is in surprisingly good condition. I was kinda hoping to do something like a 327 Federal so I could shoot all the 32 centerfire 32s from the 32 short to the 327. Any help would be appreciated. No pics cause my camera kinda died..when I dropped it..Will get another and post pics. A friend bought an old Stevens 219 in 22 Hornet..didn't really look at it but it has been bored and re-rifled to 357 Mag..Unusual.. He paid 75 bucks so he still didn't get hurt..I ain't tellin what I paid for the Martini..BTW..what might it be worth in approx 90%..no stock and forend of course

gandydancer
06-12-2013, 08:29 PM
I had one in 218 bee for years. and a wonderful shooter. gave it to my grand daughter a few years ago.did not want to scope it. so I got a bullberry contender with a scope in 218 bee cal.the 310 is a good frame to work with. GD

skeettx
06-12-2013, 08:56 PM
I have three
One in 17 Ackley Bee made by P.O. Ackley
One in 17 Ackley Bee made by Reed
One in 218 Bee made by Burke
They are fun
But the 310 is also great fun
and stocks are available
or you can modify the stock from a Winchester Model 12 in 12 gauge
Mike

p.s.
OR you can do this
http://www.gunstocksinc.com/web_pages/Plate-pics/Martini/Martini-small-frame.htm

p.s.s.
By the time you spend money on stock, forend, and rebarrel
you could buy one of these
http://www.gunbroker.com/Single-Shot-Rifles/BI.aspx?Keywords=cadet

Norbrat
06-12-2013, 09:00 PM
Here's the Wikipedia entry which gives some basic information on these: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martini_Cadet

There are a few forums around which discuss this rifle as well: for example, http://britishmilitariaforums.yuku.com/forums/3#.UbkU68rm4bt

http://www.shooting.com.au/forum/index.php?/topic/3138-the-310-cadet-rifle-and-cartridge/

A lot were "rechambered" to 32-20; basically the rim was deepened. Accuracy was generally not good as the bore size was too large for 32-20.

I picked one up recently in original condition. http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8475/8412631016_0af3051d1a_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/11260137@N07/8412631016/)

The .310 uses a heeled boolit and I have got a mould from CBE to use with this. The ammo which came with the rifle shoots very, very accurately; that's a 50 metre group on the target in the photo, shot over open sights.

It's a very nice rifle to shoot, and those actions are suuuweeeet! :grin:

Even the quality of the rear sight with it's screw elevation adjustment is something you just don't see anymore.

If you have an unadulterated barreled action, still in .310, it is almost becoming a collectors item, even though they are often still cheap to buy. Mine cost $350 with everything in the photo, which is a bargain even for Australia.

IMHO, I would not rechamber or rebarrel it. Rather, I would restore it by finding a stock and forend.

Brass and dies are available, and with a proper heeled boolit, these shoot so well it would be shame to bubba it.

I am far from an expert on these, but if you want help with brass, or sample boolits, etc, feel free to PM me.

BAGTIC
06-12-2013, 09:49 PM
Gee! I am surprised they are worth that much. I suppose that $350 price was Australian dollars. I have an old one in storage that I bought years ago from a Canadian source. IIRC it is in original condition and it is a take down model. Would that feature add or detract from the value?

aap2
06-12-2013, 09:52 PM
Mine was rebored to .357 mag by noted Martini gunsmith Bob Snapp a while back and it shot quite well. I have seen these .310 Cadet's rebarreled to .256 Win Mag etc., the action is strong and you are really only limited by the barrel breech diameter. Personally, I would keep it a .310 Cadet since brass and components are available,,scrounging up a stock and forend shouldn't be too hard..good luck

Rojelio
06-12-2013, 09:55 PM
Skeet028 you have a PM.

pietro
06-12-2013, 09:57 PM
The .310 Cadet is the small Martini action, referred to in Britain as a miniature Martini/miniature rifle - I have a BSA Model 12 takedown .22

http://imageshack.us/a/img824/5628/dscn0880ur.jpg

The Cadet can be rechambered for the .32-20 (as noted above), the .32H&R, the .327Federal, and the .32 Winchester Special (with a bit of carving of the cartridge trough atop the bolt for loading clearance.
The .32 Special will definitely get a shooter's attention, though.

The higher velocity of these .32 cal cartridge's boolits usually allow them to "bump up" some to the Cadet's bore size upon firing.

If a rebore or a rebarrel is desired, the .357 Remington Magnum makes it into a pleasant small game/small deer rifle.

Norbrat
06-12-2013, 10:17 PM
Gee! I am surprised they are worth that much. I suppose that $350 price was Australian dollars. I have an old one in storage that I bought years ago from a Canadian source. IIRC it is in original condition and it is a take down model. Would that feature add or detract from the value?

A takedown; now that would be nice! :-) One of these, I assume? http://britishmilitariaforums.yuku.com/topic/10852#.Ubkp2srm4bs

As for prices, until very recently, the AUD$ was stronger than the US$; today it's around US$0.95. Doesn't matter, really, as you need to compare what it costs to buy something here as compared to the US.

For example, a new Savage Axis sells here for AUD$525, a Rem 700 SPS synthetic stock for $895, etc. Compare that to what you might pay in the US for the same rifles.

Anyway, Martini Cadets can be had here for less, but they are usually modified and wouldn't come with the die set ($70) or brass or 900 pre-cast boolits, etc. A rough idea of prices they are selling for here in Oz: http://www.usedguns.com.au/SearchResults.aspx?term=martini

I know the bloke I bought it from paid about $190 for just the rifle, but that's OK. He scrounged the new buttstock, bought the dies, cast the boolits, etc. It's got a really good bore, something also a bit uncommon due to corrosive military ammo used in them.

I'm quite happy to have paid $350 for it.

wch
06-12-2013, 11:03 PM
I have one chambered in 7-30 Waters- shoots well, reloading's the way to go with this caliber.

skeet028
06-13-2013, 12:13 AM
Good grief.. I didn't know there was that much interest in the little rifles. I really haven't decided what to do with the darn thing. With the link to the stocks..I can surely finish one I just chose to stop doing all that stock work..esp the checkering. If I wanna go blind I'll just poke my eyes out.. Wondering..could the bbl be lined in a smaller caliber??..Or 357 Rem Max would also be a great choice. For some reason I like that caliber. It kills deer in my contender about as well as my Savage Smokeless powder muzzle loader. As far as shooting the original caliber.. I already load for more than 30 calibers. Don't really need to take on another..or another cast bullet.

country gent
06-13-2013, 12:36 AM
I just finished up a cadet ( 27 year ongoing project) in 218 bee. Shilen 20" sporter barrel new stock ( cheek piece and pistol grip) and forearm in very nice walnut. Redfield 2-7 scope in tall rings ( needed the room for my fat fingers to load. Rifle wieghs about 6 pounds complete. Light short and handy. A ball to shoot, no recoil and very accurate. Getting Brass is somewhat tough but now that I have 200 cases Im good for awhile. The rifle is just such a sweet little shooter I wish I had finished it up years ago.

gnoahhh
06-13-2013, 08:10 AM
Nifty little actions ideally suited for customizing, which is what drove the price up on them. They'll hold anything you can put in front of them (limited by barrel breech diameter as stated above)- but therein lies the caveat. It takes a relatively short cartridge to make the turn into the chamber. .30/30-class cartridges are on the ragged edge of being short enough, and only work because of their tapered shape. We did a .357 Max one time and squeezing those rounds in was nearly impossible, due to their non-tapering design v. diameter (call it the aspect ratio) of the cartridge.

While the .327 is a neat choice in theory, don't expect sterling accuracy with the shorter (and cheaper and more plentiful) .32s. That's a mighty long jump to the rifling for the shorties. Buy a sack full of .327 brass and load them light if it's .32 Long performance you want.

If it were mine, I would go with a short rimmed cartridge like .22 Hornet, .218 Bee, .25/20, .38 Special, etc. Even though the .30/30 and .32 Special can work in it, quite frankly recoil with factory-level ammo is ferocious in a tiny light rifle like that.

While they are neat in original form, to those who venerate military rifles, to me their true value lies in the potential they hold for building beautiful custom jobs.

Boz330
06-13-2013, 08:46 AM
Good grief.. I didn't know there was that much interest in the little rifles. I really haven't decided what to do with the darn thing. With the link to the stocks..I can surely finish one I just chose to stop doing all that stock work..esp the checkering. If I wanna go blind I'll just poke my eyes out.. Wondering..could the bbl be lined in a smaller caliber??..Or 357 Rem Max would also be a great choice. For some reason I like that caliber. It kills deer in my contender about as well as my Savage Smokeless powder muzzle loader. As far as shooting the original caliber.. I already load for more than 30 calibers. Don't really need to take on another..or another cast bullet.

Probably 357Mag is your best choice. I had one done and asked about the Max and the smith said it wouldn't turn the corner. I have a 7MM Waters and that one is tight. You have to push the lever down against the spring to get them to load.

Bob

Goatwhiskers
06-13-2013, 08:47 AM
I have one that followed me home a while back that someone had rebored to .35 cal and chambered to .357Mag. I rechambered to Max, only chambering problem was due to boolit contour, needs a bit of taper to slide in. Currently using a RD359190 PP, slides in like greased goose stuff. Accurate too, less than 3/4" with a charge of A1680. As far as other cartridges, I've seen one chambered to .32 Win, recoil was brutal. Back in the day I've seen a couple rebarreled to .44Mag. Not a good idea, chamber walls are almighty thin, might be OK with milder or even factory loads, but sooner or later someone will jack it up and wind up with a swelled chamber. Anyway, it's a strong, reliable, lightweight action if you want to build something in a varmint caliber. GW

snaketail
06-13-2013, 09:47 AM
Skeet 028: If you want to give it a good home...I know a guy who lives in a dry climate who always wanted a Martini. I (I mean"He") had a chance to trade for one a few years ago, but the dealer sold it before he got off work. So, if you can't decide what to do with it, I would (It mean "He would") be happy to talk a deal with you. PM if you want to discuss it. I have never owned a Martini, but I have drunk several of them.
Michael

country gent
06-13-2013, 09:49 AM
The newly introduced Hornady 17 hornet would be an interesting round in this rifle also. Short, light, and almost no recoil. With the newer vld bullets would be pretty flat shooting also.

skeettx
06-13-2013, 03:05 PM
For fun go here

http://www.martinigallery.com/

skeet028
06-13-2013, 05:34 PM
I thunk about the 17 Hornet...but my fangers are just not compatible with them when I'm loading. Heck almost can't hold on to those 20 calibers. Never thought of the length of the 357 Max being too long. I'll get it figgred out. I just don't want to add another caliber to reload. Would the 45 Colt fit in it? I like the ol Colt. My wife shoots her Ruger BH in 45 out on the back 40..or 80 or whatever. She sets out balloons on the cliff that backs up our rifle range. She gets back 250-300 yds and shoots at 'em for fun. Hits some too. Course she hits about as many with the little AR she has for coyotes. I'd be much happier if she would pick up all her 223 brass..Luckily I have a bit...LOL! Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. I also got a little Marlin M-39 from the gal..outside of the gun is rough..but it is in exc condition internally. Shoots good. May have to polish it and rust blue it

skeet028
06-13-2013, 06:10 PM
Hey..Just had a thought. I have 4000 rounds of New 222 Rem Mag Brass(I know, I know...don't ask). Would it work with that cartridge?? I thought about re-chambering an old 722 222 Rem but this sounds neater!!

Rojelio
06-13-2013, 07:05 PM
Hey..Just had a thought. I have 4000 rounds of New 222 Rem Mag Brass(I know, I know...don't ask). Would it work with that cartridge?? I thought about re-chambering an old 722 222 Rem but this sounds neater!!
That would work if you could get ahold of a rimless extractor. Bob Snapp used to sell one, but, I think he's pretty much retired.

skeettx
06-13-2013, 07:26 PM
I love that you have the Mag brass, I have two Rem 40-X in 6X47 and two Rem 40-X in 222 Mag, what fun what fun!
The Martini Cadet is better suited for a rimmed case like the 222 Wallaby
http://www.reloadbench.com/cartridges/w222rim.html
Mike

TheCounty
06-16-2013, 08:14 AM
I've 2, one in 2R Lovell, and the other in 22 wmr. Bought them already converted. Great rifles. Getting real hard to find for that price in .310 . Would suggest sell/buy or trade it for one already customized. Much easier to choose a rimmed cartridge for this action as rimless as I am led to believe is quite finicky to make work smoothly. An original model 12 in .22LR just went up on our local board for $650 CDN ( about same US ).
Your rifle though, and your call...enjoy.
Cheers
TheCounty

skeet028
06-16-2013, 09:20 AM
Boy I'd love to find a 40X in 222 Mag oh heck..almost anything in the 222 mag. The story on the brass was kinda short. I was at an auction. Bought a bullet mould on a shelf..got all on the shelf Guess what was there?? Bought a lead hardness tester on another shelf..but I did pay a lot more for it Got 3000 new Rem 221 Fireball brass. I severly restricted my buying and still spent 3500 at that auction..and never bought a gun..all reloading items. One of the reasons i quit buying was there was no more room in the truck..and I have a Ford Superduty.. Well I am going to make something out of it..I had a Low Wall I got here on CB and when I found out how much it was gonna cost to make a rifle up I sold it..wish I hadn't..Kind of a 2nd chance.. Worse part is on the brass..I don't have a 222 mag or a 221 Fireball..but I have sold some at gun shows..

Kermit1945
06-16-2013, 03:23 PM
.222 Rimmed. I'm partial to .22 Hornet and K-Hornet though. Brass comes easier.

Bad Ass Wallace
06-17-2013, 08:42 AM
This is my rebuild of a Cadet action - 25/35 Winchester

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v152/BAWallace/23-35_edited-1.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/BAWallace/media/23-35_edited-1.jpg.html)

kbstenberg
06-17-2013, 09:11 AM
BAW That is a beautiful rifle!!!!

Cactus Farmer
06-17-2013, 10:13 AM

Martinis don't do rimless brass very well. (read not worth a tinkers ****) Stick with rimmed. 25-20,32-20-218 Bee,32-40,357 mag. 45 colt is too big around for it. The barrel is very small shanked. (read thin when chambered in large diameter rounds.)
I use larger actions for the bigger rounds. They can be made into 12 guage shotguns if you need a strong slug gun. I'm working on a 40 Krag for a smokeless big bore SS. I'm calling it a 40-65 Maynard as it is between 40-60 and 40-70 in length after being blown out from the 30-40. 2.3 inches will do nicely......

skeet028
06-18-2013, 12:13 AM
That is a pretty rifle BAW. and but darn I am partial to the 25 calibers. I have a few..from a 94 takedown 25-35 A kinda rough Marlin in 25-36(pretty much the same) a 257 AI a pre war M-70 in 250-3000 2 Kimber 25-06s and a Weatherby 257..what I call the antelope lazer. Even in our windy areas here in Wyoming. Did the 25-35 fit the action well? Yer makin me think here now.

Bad Ass Wallace
06-18-2013, 07:51 AM
My local gunsmith does a conversion of the barrel thread to the same as Winchester 92 so a bigger barrel shank can be fitted for added strength. Anything based on the 30/30 case can then be accommodated and 32/40's are popular.

GOPHER SLAYER
06-18-2013, 07:21 PM
BAW does have some beautiful single shots. What I appreciate also is his taste in stocks. The rifles look as if I ordered them except that he shoots from the wrong side. I remember reading many years ago that the American importer paid .50 apiece for the little cadets and they were selling here for 12 to 14 dollars. I have one that I bought about twenty years ago with the idea of making it a .218 Bee. I owned one in that chambering once and foolishly let it get away. The rifle I have was rechambered to 32.20. I was given some weird looking bullets several years ago and they were .317 as I recall. I think they weighed a little over 100 grains. I loaded them in some good brass using unique powder. I shot a five shot group at fifty yards that you could cover with a nickle. Since then I just can't bring myself to change the little gem. I know what people are asking for these Martinis seems high but when you think what it would cost to make the gun today it doesn't seem so bad. Cactus Farmer I have a rifle that I bought from a friends estate that is chambered in .40 Krag. The action is a Falling Blocks Works. The problem with it is the barrel weighs about thirty pounds. I didn't think it would be so difficult to get it turned down but when I ask a machinist if he would do the job they waste no time in saying , NO WAY. I ask my friend before he passed why he picked that particular wildcat round and he said "because the Krag brass is laying all over the ground at the range". Now I have been picking up brass for way over fifty years at various California ranges and I don't think I have picked up twenty pieces of Krag brass in all that time. I have fire formed some .303 British cases which are a little short but they should work and they are easy to get. Of course if I want to shoot black powder I will have to use Krag brass. I would like to see pictures of yours when you get it completed.

GOPHER SLAYER
06-18-2013, 07:37 PM
Forgot the pictures.

Outpost75
06-18-2013, 07:45 PM
If the original barrel is in nice shape with bright bore and sharp rifling, I'd be tempted to either keep it in the original caliber, or rechamber to use .32-20 brass blown out to accept a .320" diameter bullet.

Veral Smith at LBT can custom-cut a 130-grain flatnose which will be stable in the original slow-twist barrel, and a nominal "caseful" of 4198 or RL-7 will give pleasant and accurate results with plainbased bullets, resembling a .32-40 Winchester.

If you want something which will use readily available factory ammo the .357 Magnum works fine. I have a Cadet in that caliber which was rebored many years ago and it is one of my favorite walking rifles.

Bad Ass Wallace
06-18-2013, 09:50 PM
I purchase whole rifles or parts whenever I can get them at a reasonable price because they ain't going to make any more. At last count I have 36 in calibres from 17 AH to .577 Super Snider.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v152/BAWallace/MartiniSporters_A_zps72644948.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/BAWallace/media/MartiniSporters_A_zps72644948.jpg.html)

Colorado1135
07-06-2013, 10:09 AM
and here I sit wishing I had one of them! wow those are some purty rifles! I'm still thinking one in 256 win would be a sweet little shooter. I will have one someday I know it!

TCLouis
07-07-2013, 10:42 PM
BAW

Does the feel of my petty jealousy come thru hearing of your Cadet collection.

I have a Francotte in 30 long neck, trimmed 357 Max.

Once I figured out how to make them (original gunsmith owner was dead and it came through one of his friends) I will have to say it is really a "Long necked Rimmed 300 Whisper" with slightly longer body.

CanoeRoller
07-08-2013, 09:33 AM
You may have noticed that everyone assumes you are going to keep it. You should only do that if you value things differently from most of the shooting public. If you value quantity over quality, if you feel that you need a 30 round accurizing kit attached to the bottom of your action in order to eventually hit a bulls eye, then this it not the action for you. If you value one hole groups, taking your time to reach a higher level of shooting, and the knowledge that you have one of the most accurate actions ever designed, then you will want to keep it.

IridiumRed
07-15-2013, 11:42 AM
You may have noticed that everyone assumes you are going to keep it. You should only do that if you value things differently from most of the shooting public. If you value quantity over quality, if you feel that you need a 30 round accurizing kit attached to the bottom of your action in order to eventually hit a bulls eye, then this it not the action for you. If you value one hole groups, taking your time to reach a higher level of shooting, and the knowledge that you have one of the most accurate actions ever designed, then you will want to keep it.

Y'know, there ARE guns out there that have 30 round mags.... and shoot 1/4 MOA to 1/2 MOA fairly easily & cheaply. AR design rifles often shoot that well with nothing more than good quality aftermarket parts, and often can be assembled with a modicum of tools, knowledge and experience. Gas impingement AR15's in .223/5.56 are esp good shooters. And if you get a good quality barrel, already chambered / headspaced, (therefore including the barrel extension/bolt head) you don't need much more than a vice, barrel nut/stock nut wrench multitool, etc to put it together. A couple hundred bucks in tools?

I actually find it quite amazing how cheaply / easily an AR15 can be put together, AND how accurate it can be. No, not benchrest accurate perhaps - that's still the realm of single shots (though some of those may be magazine-less bolt actions, solid or flat bottomed). So still, we're not talking 1/10 MOA, which is the ballpark for benchrest..... but 1/4 to 1/2 MOA is pretty damn good in my PERSONAL opinion, and is more than accurate enough for anything I'm going to do with a rifle - I don't compete, I just like to shoot (for fun), and try to do long range stuff at times when the opportunity/time is there

Right now I have an AR10 derivative (made by POF, its a P308). 20" barrel, .308/7.62mm chamber (and yes, I am aware of the differences, but this gun will shoot either). It will shoot near 1/2 MOA with factory match ammunition (federal gold medal, black hills, etc).

Now, I had a housefire a while back, and lost all my firearms, so am rebuilding my gun collection, including my reloading tools. Had good insurance, but still, it takes a while just to pick out what you want, and try to spend the money wisely (and make it go as far as possible). Almost to the point of being able to reload again (just need a few more small tools, AND am waiting on prices to fall & supply to return so I can get primers / powder, etc w/o being totally gouged).

BUT - and this is a very important BUT - at the time of the fire I had an old BSA Martini Model 15 .22 LR target rifle, and liked it very much. Wanted a full on International model, but this model 15 came along and I couldn't say no

That BSA Martini was a great rifle, and I could see myself owning one again. I love the trim lines of the action, and how well refined they are. And such a classic design! I can see how these would be great for a cadet / rook size rifle - the action is tiny, and you could build a very light, sleek rifle with one.

Maybe the point i'm getting at, is that there are good guns of both types, and there are people who appreciate both

I apologize in advance if I have offended anyone. Just trying to share a personal viewpoint

skeet028
07-15-2013, 02:34 PM
Well I think I have talked myself into selling the little thing. I talked toDoug Turnbull at the Winchester show in Cody the other day. I have an ol Ithaca grade 4 small gauge gun that I think I am going to let him restore..and it ain't gonna be cheap. They only made 6 or so of the Ithaca doubles in that grade and It's gonna cosrt me over 3 grand to do it.. Also at the gun Show in Bozeman Mt I found another Martini already turned into a 357 Mag and a 218 Bee also. I had some stuff he needed and he had the Martini..well..stuff happens. But the Ithaca will be restored back to it's former glory..and i am sure the original purchaser of the Ithaca would be happy. I actually hunted quail with him in the early to mid 60s. He was one of the founding members of the skeet club 4 of us own..Late 1920s..and he was an All American skeet shooter..When skeet was low gun.. The gun was made in 1930 I think. I sold one of my Pre War M-70s and will sell this Martini and an ol S&W M&P 38 Sp made in 1924..will probably have nuff money to get 'er done. I am a nostalgic fool I think

skeettx
07-15-2013, 03:13 PM
Great decision
Grade 4, neat !!!
Flues? NID? What Ithaca?
Mike

skeet028
07-15-2013, 07:20 PM
NID Graqde 4 Ejector..28 ga very rare

skeettx
07-15-2013, 07:54 PM
WOW!! Yes quite rare, you are most fortunate
to be the caretaker of this firearm
Mike

skeet028
07-15-2013, 09:39 PM
Well I am a caretaker of 4 or 5 guns from back in the day. Got a kinda rare 21 in 410..one of about 70 or so..not pretty but it WAS made on a 20 ga frame. A VHE Parker in 410 I bought for 70 bucks sight unseen..Another special order Win 21 20 ga..bored Cyl and skeet 2..for a quail hunter and I finished the shotguns off with a grade 5 Win 42. I also have a kinda nice Iver Johnson Skeeter 410 SxS I got in Md at a farm auction for 80 dollars.. neat little gun..but not so rare. At the Bozeman gun show on Saturday..I found a Win 42 with a 3 digit serial..almost hadda have it..but I decided to re-do the Ithaca..so didn't buy it..was lookin for a S&W 57 4 inch gun anyway..

skeettx
07-16-2013, 05:48 PM
SWEET
Funny you mention the Smith 57
Just this week I was shooting my 6" 57 and a Ruger Blackhawk in 41 4 5/8 "
Great shotguns you mention, must be fun to shoot.
I loved elk hunting north west of Togwotee Pass in the Teton Wilderness, rough country
Mike

skeet028
07-16-2013, 11:55 PM
Also funny that I have both of those handguns too..exactly..a 6 in 57 and a 4 5/8 in Blackhawk 41..It is one of my most accurate single actions. The most accurate is one of the 44 Flat tops. Shoots better than i can...but then..I am a shotgun shooter. I elk hunt west of Meteetsee..and North. Have a friend that runs a 50,000 acre ranch out there.. I even know the owner. Met her in France many many years ago. I was at a gun show in Bozeman Mt Saturday and picked up a few 255 wfngc cast boolits for the 41. I can move 'em easily at 1300 or more. Should go clean through an elk..or the real reason for carrying it..a grizz. They are getting pretty thick in the areas i hunt. The light bullets in the 41 for protection.. or one of the 45 autos.

skeet028
07-17-2013, 12:05 AM
BTW.the Ithaca Is a good shooter. Shot 2 rounds of skeet with it when i got it and ran them. And I don't even like those SxSs. The Winchesters all shoot good of course..but the 410 Win 21 is not a pretty gun. The 20 ga is a great shooting gun. I've never shot the M-42 ..and that little Skeeter is a really fun gun to shoot. but so light and whippy (as is the Parker) very hard to shoot really well. The Parker is hard to shoot well. One of the little OO frames. And after shooting so much small gauge with my tubed K-80..have a tendency to over power those small guns

skeettx
07-17-2013, 06:13 AM
We must be alot alike
Four barrel set.
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/Krieg2.jpg
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/Krieg1.jpg

skeet028
07-17-2013, 09:54 AM
Probably too much alike.. Mine is a Tubed gun.. But is a Bavaria Grade with Dockweiler marble cake french walnut .. I'll bet our wives would shudder at us getting around each other too much. LOL Had a 4 bbl set many years ago..never could shoot it as well

skeet028
07-17-2013, 10:11 AM
A funny story on my 4 bbl set. They were kinda hard to get at one time. Flew to Germany witk another shooter..AF MAC pilot. We bought 3 over there for less than half the cost here. And since I had a kinda sorta diplomatic type of passport..we didn't have to pay duty when we got back either. Hal Dupont was extremely annoyed. He had exclusive Kreighoff sales here. Ah for the simpler days...and younger ones too. My first K-80 tubed gun cost 2812.50 delivered. Just a bit more spensive now, huh?

skeettx
07-17-2013, 04:09 PM
YUP
What trouble we used to flirt with :)
I have two barrel K-32 sets, the one Super San Remo with Doc wood
and the standard with good wood, This one was my retirement gift to myself
and I shoot it ALOT
Come to Amarillo and play
Mike