PDA

View Full Version : New to casting

ocelli
06-12-2013, 04:00 PM
I have been reloading for a while now and have been given about #200+ of new in box WW. So I ordered a Lyman pot and got in on a group buy here for 170gr 10mm (missed out on the 200gr 10mm by days, if someone ordered an extra I would be interested)
I'm excited to set started casting my own.
Will the WW be fine buy themselves for casting or should I add lead or tin to them?

williamwaco
06-12-2013, 04:05 PM
I have been using unadulterated clip on wheel weights for handgun bullets for almost 60 years.

Just finished this year's supply.

See:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?199991-2013-Casting-Binge&highlight=

Nickle
06-12-2013, 04:32 PM
Now, that could be a loaded question. Thankfully, you gave us a clue.

WW alloy is about 10-12 Brinell. That's just fine for most handgun boolits. If you're on the upper fringe of the velocity or pressure range, different story. But, 10mm and 40 S&W loads are fine.

PS Paul
06-13-2013, 07:33 PM
Welcome to the forum, Ocelli. Mr. Bill Waco there is someone who you should pay attention to when reading in the forum. This subject you bring up is one that has had just TONS of threads and discussion and the link should show just some of it. It is a terrific question to start with, so congratulations on gettin' your pot and welcome to the fabulous world of "rollin' yer own"!!

Jim
06-15-2013, 10:17 AM
I have been using unadulterated clip on wheel weights for handgun bullets for almost 60 years......

What Bill said!

OBIII
06-21-2013, 07:31 PM
Hopefully, if these ww are separate, you will smelt them into ingots before using your casting pot. At the cheap end, a hot plate and small cast iron skillet will do just fine for melting the ww and removing any dross or debris, as well as fluxing. If they are already in ingot form then you are good to go. You should only put clean, well fluxed lead/alloy in your casting pot.

OB

ocelli
06-22-2013, 09:24 PM
You should only put clean, well fluxed lead/alloy in your casting pot.

OB

Thanks for the tip