PDA

View Full Version : How to neck size 45 70?

Spokerider
06-12-2013, 12:23 PM
I've been shooting round ball loads in the 45 70. I want to neck size the cases to accept another round ball load, and don't want to resize the whole case. How do I do this?

Dillon 550 loader with lee dies.

How do I pop the spent primer out without sizing the whole case with this set up? Neck size only, can it be done?

Thanks.

joec
06-12-2013, 12:38 PM
I've been shooting round ball loads in the 45 70. I want to neck size the cases to accept another round ball load, and don't want to resize the whole case. How do I do this?

Dillon 550 loader with lee dies.

How do I pop the spent primer out without sizing the whole case with this set up? Neck size only, can it be done?

Thanks.

If I'm understanding your question correctly here is how I do it. I use Lee's Universal decapping dies on all my brass regardless as I decap before cleaning and since the die doesn't size the brass it would do what you want. Now as for using a larger size bullet you could use a Lyman M die perhaps of even the the RCBS cowboy expander die as I do.

r1kk1
06-12-2013, 06:55 PM
The other way is to order a Lyman neck sizer. That's what I use on the 550.

Either Joe's or my way works.

Take care

r1kk1

Mk42gunner
06-13-2013, 12:33 AM
Or use a 1/16" pin punch to knock the primers out prior to sizing.

There is enough taper to the .45-70 that you may be able to adjust the decapping pin down far enough to deprime and size your necks at the same time. I don't have Lee Dies in .45-70 so I can't say for sure.

Robert

Spokerider
06-13-2013, 12:26 PM
I tried adjusting the lee die up in the tool head to size just the neck, and it works, however, the lee decapping pin was too short to reach far enough down to punch out the spent primers.
I disassembled the die and saw that the decapping pin was just a straight rod, so I found a similar but longer in an old hornady die set that I had. It was just slightly larger in dia. than the lee one, so I drilled out the lee retaining nut to make it work.
Well, it sort of works. The decapping pin has a tendency to slide up, even after torqueing the retaining nut about as hard as I dare. This I thought was strange, as the lee pin was held in place by the very same principle. Maybe the hole I drilled was just slightly too large....... I may put a weld on the pin / retainer, but then that die will be specific to that gun......until the pin breaks, lol.

Anyway, I will look for another 45 70 case sizing die, or a universal decapper.

Who makes the best 45 70 dies, or best decapper?

W.R.Buchanan
06-13-2013, 12:34 PM
You could also buy the decapping pin and base from a .45-70 Lee Loader and knock the primers out that way.

randy

Char-Gar
06-13-2013, 02:31 PM
I don't use one of those infernal progressive presses, so I can't tell you how to make that thing work.

But, I would run the case into a 45 Colt or 45 ACP die far enough to squeeze down the neck and then expand and seat the ball with a little crimp to hold it in place.

I use a Lyman 310 tool to decap. In fact I am taking a break from decaping 1,000 44 Magnum cases to jot this down.

FishingFool
06-13-2013, 11:25 PM
Dunno if it'll work but you could theoretically just use a universal depriming die in station 1 and leave the rest of the head alone. Why don't you want to full length size the 45-70?

Tim357
06-14-2013, 12:39 AM
Lyman 310 tool and dies. Not cheap but very effective.

Whiterabbit
06-14-2013, 12:45 AM
Sounds like all you need is a longer pin, aka a nail from a hardware store.

grampa243
06-14-2013, 07:58 AM
i'll +1 a Lee's Universal decapping die

it will be your cheapest option.

or upgrade to a redding sizing die it has a longer decapping pin.

CPL Lou
06-22-2013, 11:49 AM
I use a Redding Neck Sizer die. Sizes just enough of the neck to hold a new boolit.
Works for me :D

CPL Lou

Larry Gibson
06-22-2013, 01:30 PM
The other way is to order a Lyman neck sizer. That's what I use on the 550.

Either Joe's or my way works.

Take care

r1kk1

+1, that's what I use.

Larry Gibson