PDA

View Full Version : Henry's

kenyerian
06-12-2013, 10:57 AM
Lots of discussion on here about Marlins, Rossi's, Winchesters and other Lever action 's but not much about Henry's. Over the years I've owned a couple of Winchester's in 30-30, a Marlin in 35 Remington and a Savage 99 in 308. I have traded them all away . Recently I have decided I need another Lever and have been looking for another one. I have never owned a Henry or a Rossi. A lot of people like the Rossi's and I am considering one of them but I really like the looks of this Henry. http://henryrepeating.com/rifle-45-70.cfm . Anyone have any experience with Henry's?

pietro
06-12-2013, 11:42 AM

No experience with the rifle, but enough with the company to say that ANYONE can buy with confidence that Anthony Imperato will stand behind his products, and monitors/answers email questions sent to info@henryrepeating.com

FWIW, I once ham-handedly broke a magazine tube hanger, from the vibrations I made while drifting in a different front sight (the receiver was held in a padded vise) - When I contacted Henry to buy a replacement (I told them what I did), they simply just sent me the replacement, gratis (I received it 2 days later).

Kansas Ed
06-12-2013, 07:24 PM
I bought one of their octagon .22's several years ago. When I got it, it sounded like an Allis Chalmers little round baler (guess I dated myself with that analogy, huh). So noisy it would scare the squirrels on the neighbors place. Now I'm not afraid to tear into anything to see if it can be improved...so away me and my diamond hones went. I slicked up the action so it's much much better. I worked over the trigger while I was in there too. But when I put a scope on it and tested it for about 8 or 9 different types of ammo...I was sorely disappointed. But after running a few hundred rounds through it, the groups are coming in nicely. Honestly, I think it just needed break in. My fine diamond stone and I accelerated the process by months though. Would I buy another....yep, but me and my hones would probably work that one over too right at the beginning.

Ed

Ken B
06-12-2013, 07:42 PM
I just picked up my second Henry tonight, in 45 Colt. My first one was the 22 Brass frame I will never sell it! Its smooth as butter and a heck of a shooter. Will let you know on the Big Boy when I shoot it this weekend.......Also Brass frame. Ken B

kenyerian
06-12-2013, 07:46 PM
Thanks Ken B. Looking forward to your results. 45 Colt would be an excellent fit for me as I have a contender barrel in 45 colt and already load and cast for it.

kenyerian
06-12-2013, 07:54 PM
To Bill and Kansas Ed thanks for your comments on the 22's. To pietro thanks for the feedback on the company. It's good to know that they back their products and that they are 100% made in the USA. I'm sure that there are some other members that either have a Henry or have had experience with them. Anyone besides Kansas Ed have to work on them to get them running slick? The only tjing I know about them is I like the way they look.

sthwestvictoria
06-13-2013, 08:21 AM
I really like the looks of this Henry. http://henryrepeating.com/rifle-45-70.cfm . Anyone have any experience with Henry's?

I like the fact that a ghost ring site come standard - why don't more people offer this. Great idea.

hightime
06-13-2013, 06:25 PM
I have a Golden Boy and like it a lot. It's accurate and slick. On the downside It seems to have a plastic coat over the polished brass and it pealing off making it ugly.

blixen
06-15-2013, 05:59 PM
I've had/have a few Henrys. Nothing but good. My .17hmr bolt-action shoots under an inch at 100 consistently. A pump 22 puts them into a half inch at 50. And my Golden Boy and a beat-to-heck basic lever does almost as well.

The Acu-bolt was puncturing rims, Henry not only fixed it, but paid the shipping both ways.

Only downside is that alloy in the receiver that turns some folks off.

jcwit
06-15-2013, 07:08 PM
Bought a Henry about a year ago. Had a question and decided to call the factory, guess who answered the phone, YUP, Anthony Imperato himself, he answered the question, we chatted a short while, wanted to know what I thought of his product etc. then me thinking he was more than likely a very busy man we parted. Now that's customer service.

BTW, their products are top notch, no matter what anyone else says, and so is their support.

missionary5155
06-16-2013, 06:14 AM
Good morning
I shoot caliber .44 Russian revolvers. I like the round.
About five years ago I got the bug for a caliber .44 Russian levergun. So I wrote via email all the leergun producers I could think of the same basic question... Would thier present caliber .44 mag production rifle levergun cycle caliber.44 Russian cartrigers ? Only One manufacturer decided to answer my question. Henry Rifle !
Mr. Imperato himself wrote me back and stated no one had ever advanced that question before. He asked where could he find some loaded factory ammo to give it a try. I sugested two places I knew off. About one month later Mr. Imperato responded saying he had purchased two boxes from Navy Arms of caliber .44 Russian. He then went to the finishred rifle room, pulled one caliber .44 mag levergun, went to the testing area and fired both boxes minus 10 rounds without any cycling problems.
Mike in Peru

davegalesr
06-16-2013, 06:26 AM
I have 2 Henry's - a .22 levergun and a Big Boy in .44 mag. I would not let either of them go - they shoot great and look good in the cabinet. I have Skinner peeps on the Big Boy and they look like they grew there - very well made and accurate.

Rusty Goose
06-16-2013, 08:39 AM
I have a big boy in .357 mag, it is very smooth and accurate. It runs .38 just as well. Mine developed a crack in the stock behind the tang, after I called them a new stock was at my door the next day. The fit and finish were perfect, but the grain wasn't a good match. For $75 I sent them my stock and forend and got their premium set. It fit perfectly as well and has beautiful grain and curl to it. I love the gun and highly recommend the company.

ironhead7544
06-16-2013, 10:10 AM
I like the looks of the Henry Big Boy but the weight is a bit much for a short barrel. I heard they were bringing out a round barrel carbine version. Might look into that.

fecmech
06-16-2013, 10:56 AM
I own one of their .22 carbines with the 16" barrel. It will stay under an inch for 10 shots at 50 yds with standard velocity ammo. The Big Boys in .357 are too heavy for my taste but they are well made and accurate rifles as some friends have them. The company has an excellent reputation.

06-16-2013, 11:25 AM
The .22 lever Henry is the most accurate .22 I've shot.

birch
06-16-2013, 12:23 PM
I have a Henry 30-30 H-009 and it is one of the most accurate 30's I have ever shot. I shoot it scoped because it just seems right with this lever action. The only thing I don't like is the way the lever pop's open when there is no tension on it. The lever needs to be fully cocked and a new round chambered before it can be closed again.

Dave Bulla
06-19-2013, 03:12 AM
Birch, are you saying that if the lever accidently starts to open up that you can't just close it back up but have to cycle it all the way open and then shut? If so, that's pretty odd.

Also, how common is it to have the lever "pop open"?

Ken B
06-19-2013, 06:15 AM
Took the Henry 45 Colt to the range over the weekend ,peformed flawless.........On my top gun list.

Ramjet-SS
06-23-2013, 12:08 AM
I have the brass 30-30 and the 45 colt Big Boy. Both guns are smooth as glass and the 30-30 will shoot MOA at 135 yards all day long. I put Trijicon 1-5 on both rifles. Just cast up bunch of 300 grain WFN for the 45colt and cannot wait to shoot those up. I also cast from a RCBS some 180 grain FN GC should get them sized and loaded up this week. These two guns are some of my favorites to shoot and plink with.

jh45gun
06-25-2013, 07:14 AM
Henry makes great guns and has the best customer service in the business. Yes you have a problem Anthony comes on the phone he cares about his product that much. I had a 22 mag Loved the gun but the ammo was a poor choice since it is expensive and you cannot reload the cartridge. So I traded it off for my Rossi Ranch Hand because the Henry was a safe queen because of the ammo issue. I just felt the ammo was too expensive to plink with and not enough use for it that some center fire cartridge I have could not fit the bill. But that sure does not mean the gun was bad it was a great gun. For the guy that had the rough action a phone call would have taken care of it and paid shipping both ways.

taurus judge
07-12-2013, 08:09 PM
Have big boy 45 colt, bought nov.2012. First time out mag tube kept creeping out. tryed twice to fix myself at range no luck.they paid i shipped back they fixed. Never moved again.I email complaint the tube was scratched and not fixed they sent me new one. Other wise shot about 1200 rounds threw it could hit whatever you point it at.action smooth as could be and looks great if you dont touch it cause that brass is impossible to touch without smuggin it all up. it is heavy for sure daughter has little trouble with it, although it never stopped her from shootin it.Now after 1200 rounds or so FIRING PIN broke.Email has got me 2 new firing pins headed my way free of course from Henry. Service has been extremely helpful as i actually believe it should be of course but nevertheless they are great peoples there Anthony seems to awnser and reply to every email i ever sent him and dont tell them i told you but they sent me a henry camping mug for free too.I absolutly love this gun. Shoots like a dream.Have had couple people admire it when i am at range.I have a mauser grandpa brought back from the war(well 2) one an uncle sporterized in probly the 60's that i still shoot couple times a year and the firing pin never has broke. I just wish and hope it was a fluke. my ammo was nowhere near hot loads.If not i guess they will have to send me new pin every 1200ish rounds i shoot threw it.they didnt even ask for picture or broken pin back ,just sennnnt email that new pins were on the way cause my email i had said mabe a second one in my bag would let me use the ammo i brought to the range if it broke again. NO questions asked they said 2 on the way so i would have peace of mind. Thats great service in my book but also alful easy so mabe its not the first one to break Whatever case may be i would probly buy another one soon as i hit the lottery. Happy Fun Safe shooting .

flint_knapper
07-13-2013, 07:37 AM
It's good to hear that customer service is a priority, so many companies
have forgotten this simple truth. I'll keep that in mind when I'm looking
at new lever .22's.

pmeisel
07-13-2013, 08:11 AM
I don't have a Henry myself, but I am looking to get one based on the one a friend owns. He really likes it, a basic .22 lever. I just can't decide if I want 22, 17, or 22 mag.

Tom Herman
07-14-2013, 10:34 PM
I have a Big Boy in .44 Mag and feed it with mid range loaded .44 SPL's: It is the smoothest lever action rifle I've ever worked!
I'm tickled pink with it. The rifle is on my "short list" of favorites. Looking forward to buying more Henry products.

-Tom

rbuck351
07-14-2013, 11:23 PM
I bought the wife the basic 22lever gun a few months back. It is very smooth and functions flawless right out of the box. It's not the most accurate 22 at our house but it's good enough with average groups being about 1 1/2" at 50yds.

dverna
07-16-2013, 11:52 AM
I am happy with the .22 lever I have except for the chintzy plastic front sight - damn accountants. it is not a target gun but a ton of fun to shoot. I put a 4x scope on it.

I personally do not like the looks of their Big Boy centerfires.

W.R.Buchanan
07-16-2013, 01:38 PM
My son has a Big Boy .44. I have played with the gun a lot, and it shoots and feels really good. It took me an hour playing with it to figure out it has no safety or half cock.

It has a transferbar like a Ruger SA revolver instead. I was blown away at such a simple way of dealing with the safety problem.

That .45-70 in the ad is a good looking gun. With an 18.5"bbl It is obviously designed specifically to compete with the Marlin Guide Guns.The factory installed XS ghost ring is a plus nobody else seems to have figured out.

The gun weighs a little more than the guide gun but with that caliber a little more weight is a plus. You will find this out quickly if you decide to shoot heavy loads. For hunting purposes this is fine since you won't be shooting more than 1-3 rounds in any given session.

My 1895 CB with a 26" bbl. weighs 7lbs 4oz empty and with anything above midrange loads it gets your attention right now. I am actually going to add about 2lbs of lead to the stock to make the gun more suitable for shooting 40 round Silhouette matches.

I think the Henry would serve you well.

I love my Marlins but wouldn't be offended in the slightest if a .45-70 Henry showed up in my safe.

Randy

concho
07-19-2013, 06:36 AM
If they had a 24"or 26" BBL I would get one .