PDA

View Full Version : recomend a SAA .357 magnum

Matt85
06-12-2013, 06:37 AM
as the title says ive decided to get a .357 single action revolver and im really liken the look of the Blackhawk 6.5" (the ability to use 9mm is a neat novelty as well). but im fairly new to the world of SAA revolvers so before I jump the gun and buy a Blackhawk I figured id ask you all what you thought. what .357 SAA revolver would you recommend? intend to shoot a lot of BP cartridges out of it so how well it handles fouling is important.

thanks
-Matt

Tatume
06-12-2013, 06:53 AM
Hi Matt,

The SAA (Single Action Army) is the model name of a Colt revolver.

By all means, get a Ruger Blackhawk! They are accurate and super strong. You can't go wrong.

Take care, Tom

Sasquatch-1
06-12-2013, 07:38 AM
You can't go wrong with a Blackhawk. Just one note. If you plan to get the .357 convertible, factory 9mm may not be very accurate through it due to the difference in size. Other then that, I have had one for many years and I am not disappointed with it.

Side note: used the auto save restore for the first time on this post and it works very nicely.

Jeff82
06-12-2013, 09:30 AM
I recommend the Blackhawk as well. I have the 6.5" 0.357. It's very accurate and a joy to shoot. I prefer it to the Security Sixes and S&Ws I've owned. It will do well with BP. I'd also invest in a set of grips. I found the factory grips to be a bit too narrow for me.

Silver Jack Hammer
06-12-2013, 09:44 AM
I've got Rugers and Colts. The Colts are much nicer handling however the Ruger sights are superior and of course the cost... The best of both worlds can be had in a Ruger 3 screw. If you like the 6 1/2" bbl you should be able to pick one up for less than $500.00. Make sure it has not been shipped back to the factory for the conversion.

I have a brace of Ruger 3 screws, one 6 1/2" the other 4 3/4". My son has claimed them and she shoots them exclusively. The Rugers do not feel as good in the hand when shooting fast, but if you are shooting at distance then the superior balance of the Colt does not come into play.

osteodoc08
06-12-2013, 10:01 AM
As noted, there is a difference in SA and SAA- Single Action vs Single Action Army. (But we knew what you meant). I have numerous Ruger Blackhawks. You really can't go wrong with them. They are relatively inexpensive for the quality you get. There are other makes out there but Ruger has a long and successful record. Others include Beretta, Uberti, Colt, etc. Value per dollar is the Ruger, hands down. Plus there is tons of aftermarket support. The convertible model is a great way to shoot 3 "calibers" in one. 38 special, 357 mag and 9mm with the conversion cylinder. It can be had in blued or stainless as well. New and used. Happy hunting on the new gun.

Clay M
06-12-2013, 10:56 AM
I had a Colt SAA .357 5 1/5" back in the 80's it was a fantastic gun,but if I wanted another Colt SAA I wouldn't buy it in .357 mag.

MT Chambers
06-12-2013, 10:57 AM
I'd recommend the Blackhawk, if your budget allows it the Freedon Arms.

seagiant
06-12-2013, 11:00 AM
Hi,
The other reason you want a Ruger is that if you come across some H-110 powder you can use it, no problem!

40-82
06-12-2013, 11:04 AM
I would prefer the single-actions in this order: 1) Colt New Frontier 2) Ruger 3 screw 3) Modern Ruger. That said I don't have a Colt in .357. In the Colt I prefer other calibers, but none of those six-guns will be a mistake. The Colt handles slightly better and speaks to tradition. The Ruger is tougher and stronger. As for Italian copies of the Colt, I have no experience, and I have heard good and bad. Once I called USFA for a part and they assured me that eveything was entirely American made. I asked another question, and the woman on the phone said, "You must speak to Guido."

DougGuy
06-12-2013, 11:08 AM
BP in a .357? That seems rather pointless with such a small case capacity. You would be better off with the Blackhawk in .45 Colt which is also very popular in the convertible model, and would have a .45 ACP cylinder which does not suffer the same inaccuracy since both the bullet diameters can be the same. BP in the .45 Colt Ruger works very well I am told.

Edit: You could also ejnoy a 3 caliber SA as you could shoot Schofield loads in the .45 Colt cylinder as well.

Bullshop
06-12-2013, 11:38 AM
There were far smaller cases than a 357 mag originally factory loaded with BP. Even some of the small RFs

scattershot
06-12-2013, 01:20 PM
Well, add me to the Blackhawk list. Since Ruger is now producing them on a smaller frame, it's a very handy pistol, indeed. The Colt is a Mercedes, but the Lincoln will get you around just as well, with less money changing hands. I would love to have a Colt, but $1500.00 is a little steep.

No one has mentioned the replicas yet. Some of them are fine pistols, to be sure,and I have owned and shot several, but to me the Ruger does it all.

Jeff82
06-12-2013, 04:20 PM
+1 with DougGuy. If I remember correctly a BP load for 357 is 23 grains. FPE would be about like a 38-special.

Matt85
06-12-2013, 04:49 PM
thanks for all the comments!

I picked .357 over 45 LC cause I have an abundance of 38 special brass due to my CCW being a 38 special. I think I have about 1000 once fired 38 special brass which would make some handy BP target ammo as you don't need much power to kill paper. I would try and find some smokeless powder to load the .357 mag cases to full strength for hunting and self defense. for the novelty 9mm cylinder I do also shoot a CZ 75 in 9mm so I have an abundance of 9mm ammo that id be able to play around with. I don't own a gun in 45 acp so having a cylinder for that wouldn't do me any good. overall its likely the most common cartridge this gun will fire is going to be a 38 special loaded with BP.

-matt

Lonegun1894
06-14-2013, 12:37 PM
I have a .357 Ruger Vaquero, but plan on getting a Ruger Blackhawk someday when funds allow. The Vaquero is great, but I figure the Blackhawk with it's adjustable sights will allow a little more adjustability for various loads, and I already have Blackhawks in .44 and .45 and it just wouldn't be right to not have the smaller, but definitely not lesser brother.

hightime
06-15-2013, 07:52 AM
This is the only 357 mag. I have. It's a Beretta Stampede. It shoots great. I shot a nice buck with it a few years ago.

Matt85
06-15-2013, 08:40 AM
so im trying to decide between the old model and new model Blackhawk. the idea of being able to safely carry 6 rounds is very appealing but how bad is the trigger on the new model?

the only Blackhawk ive ever fired was a old model with a trigger job and it was outstanding. but a used old model is the same price as a NIB new model and its not safe to carry 6 rounds in.

-matt

phonejack
06-15-2013, 08:58 AM
My Ruger 357 convertable is a "never sell"

wvmanchu
06-15-2013, 10:01 AM
Had to sell my first Blackhawk in 1978 when I left Germany and couldn't get the paperwork done in time to bring it back to the States. I regretted it for a long time but never did anything about it until last month. Bought a new Blackhawk .357 6.5inch barrel definitly will never be without one and probably more. Trying to talk a friend out of his .30.

9.3X62AL
06-15-2013, 11:54 AM
Another Ruger Blackhawk enthusiast here. I currently own 3, one of which is a Bisley Blackhawk in 357 Magnum. A DEFINITE keeper. I also have one Colt SAA in 32-20, and a Uberti clone in 44-40. All are utter delights to own and shoot. The Ruger gets the nod as being the strongest of the lot, though. The Nuclear Level 357 Loads go through the BisHawk. Lyman #358156 running 1550 FPS is a beautiful thing, and is as accurate as can be. Don't try that stunt in a Colt or Uberti! Or a S&W L- or N-frame, for that matter.

Silver Jack Hammer
06-15-2013, 12:20 PM
Really? A Smith N frame can't handle Lyman #358156 running 1550 FPS? Did you mean to say a S&W K- or L-frame, for that matter.

Lonegun1894
06-15-2013, 04:35 PM
Matt,
If you want the 6 rounds instead of 5, the new one may be well worth buying and then either doing the trigger job yourself or having it done if you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself. A friend who has a OM Blackhawk used to always give me all kinds of grief til I finally got him to try my NM Blackhawks, and he immediately asked me to do a trigger job on his OM. I like mine VERY light, and have my SA revolvers set up at between 1-1.5#s, which is lighter than most people prefer, but they are mine so no one else has to be happy with them. He wanted his at 2-2.5#s and that is what he got. These are fairly easy to work on so the trigger you want is just a little work away, and it will give you the safe carry of 6 rounds like you said you prefer.

9.3X62AL
06-15-2013, 05:25 PM
Really? A Smith N frame can't handle Lyman #358156 running 1550 FPS? Did you mean to say a S&W K- or L-frame, for that matter.

Both the L-frame and the N-frame Smiths likely can, but I choose not to run them that hard--1375 to 1450 FPS is tops for that boolit in my 4" 686 and 6.5" pre-27, respectively. I have the Ruger for stunts of that sort, and have 41 Mag, 44 Mag, and Ruger 45 Colt as well. No real need to red-line the platforms, under these circs.

scattershot
06-15-2013, 05:51 PM
I'd recommend the new model. As mentioned, you can carry six rounds in it, and with a poor man's trigger job and shooting it a bit, it will smooth right up. I have thrree that I have done, and they feel like oiled ball bearings in a velvet sack. Well, that may be a slight exaggeration, but they are pretty smooth.

ironhead7544
06-16-2013, 09:47 AM
If I wanted a 357 Magnum SA with adjustable sights, I would look for one of the Flat Tops Ruger made recently. Smaller and lighter than the Blackhawk which uses the 44 Magnum frame. If you dont mind the fixed sights, the New Vaquero from Ruger has the smaller frame and the grip feels a bit better IMHO.

The old model three screw has the smaller frame and an alloy grip frame which keeps the weight down.

Personally, I would get the New Vaquero as I just picked up a Rossi M92 in 357 Magnum. Makes a nice period matching set.

Jeff82
06-16-2013, 12:47 PM
Actually, when I bought my Blackhawk I was expecting to do a trigger job and to put in a lighter hammer spring. However, once I shot it, I decided not to make any changes other than to put on a set of fatter grips. I think the factory trigger is pretty slick as is.

dtknowles
06-16-2013, 01:04 PM
I always want a Freedom Arms revolver, I read they were tops on Quality and Accuracy.

Tim

jmort
06-16-2013, 01:10 PM
"I always want a Freedom Arms revolver"

Me too. For the money, a Blackhawk with an action job and a couple other mods, Belt Mountain base pin, 11* cone, cylinder hone, and "blueprinting" by a good gunsmith will get you an heirloom that should make any man proud at half the price.

9.3X62AL
06-16-2013, 05:31 PM
"I always want a Freedom Arms revolver"

Me too. For the money, a Blackhawk with an action job and a couple other mods, Belt Mountain base pin, 11* cone, cylinder hone, and "blueprinting" by a good gunsmith will get you an heirloom that should make any man proud at half the price.

My 2 BisHawks are definite keepers, 357 and 45 Colt. I did have to "finish building" the 45 Colt, it had the undersized throats commonly found in late 1990s Ruger 45 Colts. The 357 was about perfect right out of the box--all it needed was some range and field time to smoothe out and get tractable. A more recent BH in 30 Carbine is about as dimensionally perfect as can be--throats are .3085, grooves @ .308", lands @ .300". And does it EVER shoot! As accurate at 25 and 50 yards as the Marlin M-62 it replaced, and more accurate than ANY M-1 Carbine I've ever fired. I kid you not. Once they become available again, I may swap my Redhawk for one of the BisHawks in 44 Magnum. I like these S/As that much.

mroliver77
06-16-2013, 07:18 PM
I love my FULL SIZE .357 Blackhawk! Mild to wild! I have seen some guys post they have had lots of bad Rugers. Every one of mine have been keepers. Mine are all NS and have fine triggers. Having large hands I usually go for a larger grip though. My .357 wears the stock plastics yet.
Jay

Baja_Traveler
06-16-2013, 08:39 PM
+1 with DougGuy. If I remember correctly a BP load for 357 is 23 grains. FPE would be about like a 38-special.

I run 25 grains 3f under a 158 grain snakebite for both my Rossi 92 in levergun silhouette and my Vaquero. That load flat out gets out there - its about 38 +P velocity. You haven't had fun until you shoot black in these revolvers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

robertbank
06-17-2013, 02:01 PM
I just bought an Uberti El Patron in .357 5/5" and and could not be happier. Sight groove is wider than the regular Ubertis and that does make a difference. Fit and finish on the El Patrons is excellent. I like the design of the Colt SA's and the Uberti El Patron would rival anything out of the Blue Dome at 1/3 of the price. The Ruger are great guns and a 45 Colt/.45acp is on my wish list.

Take Care

Bob

Matt85
06-17-2013, 08:11 PM
i would LOVE to find a bisley blackhawk in .357, but i didnt even know they existed! ive seen plenty of 45 LC bisley blackhawks and was very tempted but im pretty stuck on the .357 cal. ive never seen a .357 bisley blackhawk and would pick that over the standard if i could find one.

-Matt

Bullshop
06-17-2013, 08:32 PM
I have two bisley BH revolvers. One is 45 Colt and one is 357 mag. The diameter of both cylinders is the same. The 357 has a lot of meat around the chambers. It will handle loads that are too hot for my Marlin 1894. Loads that begin to drag brass from extracting from the Marlin slip freely from the Ruger.
The cylinder throats are perfectly dimensioned to the barrel at 358/357 and it will shoot beyond my ability to use it.
With a 7.5" barrel it is heavy for a 357 but the weight sure makes it easy to shoot. There have been many other 357s in my past including models from S&W and Colt but this one is my favorite.

9.3X62AL
06-20-2013, 02:45 PM
Matt 85--

The BisHawks in 357 and 41 Mag went out of print some years back, you'll have to infest the used market to find such a beast. 44 Mags and 45 Colts are still in production, apparently. They are worth the hunt, in my view.

sealow
07-04-2013, 02:28 PM
I did buy on 06/2013, two Uberti EL Patron in .357 5/5 and they are very well made: one day I get a colt:
be safe

robertbank
07-04-2013, 09:37 PM
I did buy on 06/2013, two Uberti EL Patron in .357 5/5 and they are very well made: one day I get a colt:
be safe

Aside from a rearing pony I doubt the Colt's will much different other than the Uberti will likely be better made and cost 1/3 the price of the Colt. I have found the El Patron I have in .357Mag to be an outstanding gun. I now want one in .45Colt.

Take Care

Bob

contender1
07-04-2013, 10:10 PM
Buy the NM in stainless since you are considering using BP loads some. Ruger is the only way to go for initial cost, ability to get a convertible 9mm cylinder, and stainless all in one package. Not to mention the quality & strength of Rugers,,!

Heavy lead
07-04-2013, 10:19 PM
Matt 85--

The BisHawks in 357 and 41 Mag went out of print some years back, you'll have to infest the used market to find such a beast. 44 Mags and 45 Colts are still in production, apparently. They are worth the hunt, in my view.

They have made a couple of .357's recently, I picked one up last year that was made in the last couple of years, since they started putting the laminated grips.
I agree with you, it's a beast, it's a .357 on steroids compared to anything else, that long cylinder will handle anything.

9.3X62AL
07-05-2013, 05:00 PM
They have made a couple of .357's recently, I picked one up last year that was made in the last couple of years, since they started putting the laminated grips.
I agree with you, it's a beast, it's a .357 on steroids compared to anything else, that long cylinder will handle anything.

Oh, really? THAT is good news for folks like Matt seeking a strong 357 Mag wheelgun. I do know that mine is staying around, and that my nephews and daughters can fight over it (and others) after I get that final Dirt Nap. At age 96, shot to death by the jealous husband of a 19 year old aerobics instructor. Yeah, I know--kinda tawdry.......but the style points compensate for what's lacking in gentility.

RobertBank--I am thoroughly impressed with my Cattleman-grade Uberti SAA clone in 44-40. I felt the same way about a Cattleman in 45 Colt that I sold off soon after getting the BisHawk x 45, and soon regretted the sale greatly. The Ruger only became the Uberti's subjective equal after I finished building it. Ruger 45 Colts came in kit form during the 1990s and into the early 2000s, don't ya know?

Sasquatch-1
07-06-2013, 07:59 AM
At age 96, shot to death by the jealous husband of a 19 year old aerobics instructor. Yeah, I know--kinda tawdry.......but the style points compensate for what's lacking in gentility.

I didn't know we had a fantasy sub group on this forum! :groner: