PDA

View Full Version : Made in taiwan

starmac
06-12-2013, 02:19 AM
I was at napa today and there were stanley brand screwdrivers on the counter. I picked one up and sure enough, it was made in taiwan, BUT imported through a mexico company. What gives, no doubt we can't compete with countries like taiwan, but we can't even buy direct from them???

41 mag fan
06-12-2013, 07:06 AM
Cheaper tarrifs?

GabbyM
06-12-2013, 08:15 AM
Highest chance is screwdrivers are actually made in China PRC for a Taiwan company. That's how they do it on simple items.

tomme boy
06-12-2013, 12:05 PM
Sent to Mexico to be packaged. Sense it was not a completed item, no tariffs. We have a free trade with Mexico so it gets packaged there and imported to USA with NO tariffs.

bangerjim
06-12-2013, 12:25 PM
NAFTA...............don't 'y ajust love it?

Made in China......sold thru Tiawan by an American company......shipped to Mexico.....packaged there.....crosses the border tarriff free.......sold to us suckers here in USA.

"The Cycle of Life" today........................sad.

You can thank American greed for most of it.

bangerjim

popper
06-12-2013, 12:28 PM
Danaher corp. Makes most of the tools for everybody.

km101
06-12-2013, 04:08 PM
NAFTA...............don't 'y ajust love it?

Made in China......sold thru Tiawan by an American company......shipped to Mexico.....packaged there.....crosses the border tarriff free.......sold to us suckers here in USA.

"The Cycle of Life" today........................sad.

You can thank American greed for most of it.

bangerjim

Yeah, and you can thank Bill Clinton for the rest! NAFTA =Never A Fair Tariff Again!

GOPHER SLAYER
06-12-2013, 04:45 PM
I was walking thru HOME DEPOT recently and saw a display of hammers for sale for $6.99. They had fiber glass handles and rubber grips. Of course they were made in China. Go look at Stanly hammers and they look exactly the same, also made in China but they cost twenty something. Which are people going to buy?

10-x
06-12-2013, 05:06 PM
Ah So, berry gud...what a crock. No wonder we're in the hole.

JeffinNZ
06-12-2013, 06:28 PM
Sent to Mexico to be packaged. Sense it was not a completed item, no tariffs. We have a free trade with Mexico so it gets packaged there and imported to USA with NO tariffs.

Possibly not. I'm in the customs brokerage/forwarding business and certainly here anyway, there are two facets to an import entry. Country of origin (where is was made) and country of export (from whence it was sent). Origin still overrides export.

tomme boy
06-12-2013, 11:24 PM
There is something about a "finished product" as to how they get around this. Canada was sending in all kinds of wood that the last 12 inches was not finished off. They sent them to a saw mill here to chop off the ends. Then they were considered a finished product. They flooded the market with their wood that was cheaper. This was a few years ago so I don't know if it still applies.

I know a man that owns a company that has a few things made over seas. He pays no import tax as it is not finished goods.