PDA

View Full Version : Tips for melting J-words

mrblue
06-12-2013, 01:13 AM
So i melted a batch of range lead and skimmed off the jackets. Now i got a small amount of lead in them. I attempted to melt out what was left with a hand propane torch. I got a little amount out. It doesnt seem worth it to get out that little bit that is left. Is it worth it when i take it in to scrap yard, or isnt this something i should worry too much about.

BK7saum
06-12-2013, 01:58 AM
When I skim off the jackets I shake and tap the skimmer against the side of the smelter until all visible lead has dropped off. I would imagine that if there is visible leaf on the jackets you're not going to get # 2 copper price for the jackets.

Also I found that sawdust and oil or wax fluxing helps get the lead to come off the copper.

bobthenailer
06-12-2013, 07:03 AM
The last batch of J bullets i smelted i got 190 lbs of alloy for me and 56lbs of copper jackets, i sold the jackets to the recycler and got $136.00 so save those jackets there 90 to 95 % copper, mine had some small traces of lead on some pieces they did not squabel as its scrap dirty copper/ not perfectly clean.

Sasquatch-1
06-12-2013, 07:30 AM
Like LBK7saum, I tap the skimmer. I use the wire screen type skimmer you see for Chinese cooking and tap with a heavy spoon or screwdriver. This tends to knock the majority of the trapped lead out.

41 mag fan
06-12-2013, 07:36 AM
Man I got screwed on my copper jackets yesterday. The scrapper classified them as dirty brass. He took a couple of jackets and scratched them and they were yellow like brass. Only gave me .50/lb. But it's the only place around here I know of that takes munitions.
Jeff from GI Brass takes his scrap to the same scrapper. I'd called Jeff and asked where he went.

btroj
06-12-2013, 07:56 AM
50 cents a pound beats trashing them.