PDA

View Full Version : 50 BMG - Dillon BFR vs Hollywood Turret Tool vs Lee Classic Cast

treysoucie
06-11-2013, 03:15 PM
Im looking to add a 50 bmg to my stable now with "station" capabilities.... I would love to score a nice 50 bmg capable Hollywood turret press but prices on Ebay are around 800-1000 for them.... leading me to a similar priced option... the dillon BFR which is a 4 station press. The problem with the dillon is that i believe its only capable of reloading on the 50 bmg whereas i will still want to reload for 300 win mag, 308, 223, etc... I did notice it uses standard 1 1/2"-12 UNF threaded dies. so what is keeping this press from being able to use a thread adapter and utilizing standard 7/8"-14 dies yeah the stroke will be a bit much for say a 223 but it should still be able to physically work right? This leads me to my cheapest option... buy 4 or 5 cheap LEE classic cast presses to use as die stations... allowing me to not have to re measure and reset each die as i would on a single stage only setup. What are yalls thoughts?

Dillon
http://www.dillonprecision.com/uimages/50bmg_pics/50_BMG_Machine.jpg

hollywood
http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Rare-Vintage-Hollywood-Gun-Shop-Turret-Tool-Reloading-Press-loading-rifle-pistol-/00/s/MTU0M1gxNjAw/z/61kAAOxyHE5RsRI~/$(KGrHqJ,!nYF!LFQJVnIBRsRI-hPBg~~60_57.JPG

lee
http://leeprecision.com/images/P/90998-01.jpg

joec
06-11-2013, 03:42 PM
Here is Lee's 50 BMG kit and the press I have just not the kit since I don't load 50 BMG. I use the same press though to load 12 ga Magtech shot shells as it will take both 7/8 dies and 1 1/4 dies. A press that will last most people a life time as well as having one of the best spent primer systems I've seen on any press. https://fsreloading.com/lee-precision-50-bmg-kit-90859.html

seagiant
06-11-2013, 04:06 PM
Hi,
Well...If you are considering single stage loaders,why not get a (tall) Hollywood Senior? Mine is aluminum and I still bet it would have no problem resizing 50 Cal.! They also come in steel! I'm sure Dave at CH4D has dies that would fit the Hollywood!

Alvarez Kelly
06-11-2013, 07:38 PM
Here's a Hollywood for sale at a fair price;

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?199287-Checking-for-interest-Hollywood-Press-w-shot-shell-dies&highlight=Hollywood

bbqncigars
06-11-2013, 10:38 PM
Don't forget the TX-50 (http://www.tenxammo.com/tx-50.html) press. I load my fifty ammo on a Lee Classic Cast, and use the Co-Ax and LNL AP for the rest.

quasi
06-12-2013, 12:15 AM
How about the .50 BMG press that RCBS makes and sells and Hornady sells?

Kevin Rohrer
06-12-2013, 07:07 PM
Seagiant,

Do you know Hollywood made a version of that press in your picture that included a tie rod for bullet swaging? It has been awhile since I have seen one on Ebay, but they are around.

Salmon-boy
06-12-2013, 07:55 PM
I just started re-sizing/depriming on a Lee Classic Cast... The crimped in primers can be a b**tch with a capital B... I bent the arm on it with some stubborn ones.

As far as case-lube goes, I have tried my own home-made lanolin/alcohol which was kind of sticky. The Lee stuff that comes with the classic cast kit is OK, but the kicker is Astroglide.

Yes, it's a family forum so I won't post links, but the stuff will (in the words of Jeff Foxworthy) "Let a Saint Bernard in through the cat door". -- BTW, I also use it for threading 3/4" pipe when making pipe clamps..

LUBEDUDE
06-12-2013, 09:34 PM
Seagiant,

Do you know Hollywood made a version of that press in your picture that included a tie rod for bullet swaging? It has been awhile since I have seen one on Ebay, but they are around.

Like-a-This!

Senior Steel Tall Boy with swaging tie rod.

treysoucie
06-13-2013, 12:28 PM
Thanks buddy! i actually just bought that press! Ill need to give it a nice cleaning!

Here's a Hollywood for sale at a fair price;

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?199287-Checking-for-interest-Hollywood-Press-w-shot-shell-dies&highlight=Hollywood

Wayne Smith
06-13-2013, 07:44 PM
CH4D also has a huge press that I think can handle 50BMG.

seagiant
06-13-2013, 09:54 PM
Hi Lube,
Thats a VERY nice press! You would have to swage to take advantage of the tie bar as those presses are a beast even without them. I don't know,but would bet a dollar to a donut that my Senior in aluminum would be able to resize 50 cal. with a good lube!

LUBEDUDE
06-14-2013, 12:05 AM
I agree, the press with the bar is designed for swaging bullets. And I guess any other difficult task at hand.

But, there's always exceptions!

300LW
06-19-2013, 12:03 PM
Hi,
Well...If you are considering single stage loaders,why not get a (tall) Hollywood Senior? Mine is aluminum and I still bet it would have no problem resizing 50 Cal.! They also come in steel! I'm sure Dave at CH4D has dies that would fit the Hollywood!

What threads does that 7/8" bushing screw into? I need a lighter press to take to the range that takes 1 1/2-12 dies.

1bluehorse
06-19-2013, 12:59 PM
I can understand the "want" of the Dillon or the Turret press of which you speak but I'm not understanding the "reset" of the dies for a single stage press...does not the 50BMG dies have lock rings so you can set the die adjustments and lock in place ? Or do you just not want to screw them in and out ? I have an RCBS 50 BMG press (no I don't load 50's) and you are correct, a 223 is pretty darn small in there...[smilie=l:

I might add, I have two different size reducing bushings for the RCBS..

DukeInFlorida
06-19-2013, 01:17 PM
My budget is extremely limited, and I opted for the Lee 50 BMG kit, which uses the Classic Cast press. It's plenty strong enough, and includes a die set.

kd185
06-20-2013, 07:52 AM
My budget is extremely limited, and I opted for the Lee 50 BMG kit, which uses the Classic Cast press. It's plenty strong enough, and includes a die set.

i used to have a lee bmg press
good press and a good price
i shot sub moa @ 1,000 yards off the ground with ammo i loaded with the Lee press several times at matches
the only 2 hold ups with the Lee press is the hieght of the throat makes it tuff to load ammo with a OAL longer than stock (but it can be done)
and the dies are 1 1/4" and not the standard 1 1/2" thread
but other than that its a good basic press setup
I now use a Hollywood turret as I hate setting up dies to break them back down

LUBEDUDE
06-21-2013, 12:21 AM
What threads does that 7/8" bushing screw into? I need a lighter press to take to the range that takes 1 1/2-12 dies.

That bushing is 7/8" x 1 1/2"-12 tpi

DiverJay
02-21-2016, 02:57 PM
I know this thread is dated but I was searching for some additional information on the Dillon BFR and had to chuckle. Comparing the Dillon BFR to the Lee press is like comparing a Haitian refugee raft to a Navy destroyer. Even the Hornady and RCBS presses are lame in comparison and are known for snapping like peanut brittle under the strain of sizing .50 BMG cases. Loading/shooting .50 BMG is a costly proposition so take my advice, save your pennies for the Dillon BFR or stay in the kiddie pool. The base plate on the Dillon is almost 2" thick cast iron and delivers an ungodly amount of leverage. You will break your reloading bench before you ever break the Dillon. Don't be a brokedik. This machine is worth every penny of it's $1,000 price tag.

r1kk1
02-21-2016, 03:04 PM
Hollywood Senior Turret. CH4D sells press top bushings to take 1-¼, 1" or 7/8" dies. This is a cast steel press with swaging rod. Some can be had with 8 1-1/2" die holes.

take care

r1kk1

4t5
02-21-2016, 04:25 PM
I have that Lee press, and it works just fine resizing the BMG cases. I don't do BMG any more, but still use it for other things.

LUBEDUDE
02-22-2016, 01:44 PM
I know this thread is dated but I was searching for some additional information on the Dillon BFR and had to chuckle. Comparing the Dillon BFR to the Lee press is like comparing a Haitian refugee raft to a Navy destroyer. Even the Hornady and RCBS presses are lame in comparison and are known for snapping like peanut brittle under the strain of sizing .50 BMG cases. Loading/shooting .50 BMG is a costly proposition so take my advice, save your pennies for the Dillon BFR or stay in the kiddie pool. The base plate on the Dillon is almost 2" thick cast iron and delivers an ungodly amount of leverage. You will break your reloading bench before you ever break the Dillon. Don't be a brokedik. This machine is worth every penny of it's $1,000 price tag.

Welcome to the forum DiverJay.

Your analogy gave me a good laugh!

Kevin Rohrer
02-23-2016, 07:38 AM
Any of the Hollywood that use a tie bar will handle .50BMG, as long as it has the larger die hole 1.5 x 18(?). Missing tie bars and 7/8x14 inserts can be found on Ebay, and the price range for a single-stage is around $300, while a Senior turret goes for around $600.

GONRA
02-24-2016, 06:43 PM
GONRA suggests using a huge OWS Rock Crusher press with CH dies for .50 BMG case prep.
Just don't waanna strain my irreplaceable Hollywoods for this stuff...

Also (CH4D dies) 14.5mm Soviet, 20mm Lahti/Solothurn antitank rifle/cannon.

Today there is a CH4D licensed "Rock Crusher" copy press
(hopefully higher quality machining than OWS!) available.
As usual, warm up yer cheque book!