PDA

View Full Version : Scrap lead prices

JSH
06-11-2013, 07:36 AM
I am just curious as to what lead prices are around the country. I ran across some when I took some scrap to the recycle center. Supprised me they would sell but they will.
I urge others to post up here jus so we would know what is a available and cost around the country.
6-10-13
Roof sheeting lead priced at .50 per lb.
was clean no tar or asphalt

Jeff

GlocksareGood
06-11-2013, 10:19 AM
Clean lead $0.80/lb
Dirty lead (wheel weights) $0.35/lb

$0.50 would be nice for soft sheet lead. I might buy more at that price.

bangerjim
06-11-2013, 10:27 AM
Here in the great Southwest, "the Surface of the Sun", lead runs between $1.00 and $1.25/pound - clean or dirty. About where the market value is traiding in the graph above.

I get them to knock off a few # for the steel clips.

Supply is very large! Tons of the stuff at scrap yards. Just don't go to tire shops! Most are under orders from corporate to "recycle".

bangerjim

Beesdad
06-11-2013, 10:46 AM
Salvage yard price ... $.50 / lb for pure lead ... $.035 for COWW..

They pay $.12 / lb for COWW. Tire shops price is $.20 / lb for COWW when they are willing to sell any.

06-11-2013, 11:57 AM
Last time I checked, the local scrap yard wanted $.89/lb for COWW.

TenTea
06-11-2013, 12:32 PM
Yes, 35 cents for coww approximates the going rate from a local (WI) salvage yard source and I'm glad to have it.

Last months coww buy ($20) I smelted was ~60 lb gross and yielded over 50 lb of ingots after removing Zn & Fe weights and the clips.
Lots of big lead truck weights in there.
I may be able to clean him out of coww's (1000 lb) by summers end if all goes according to Hoyle.

mold maker
06-11-2013, 12:42 PM
Last I bought was new XRay room lead on wood or sheetrock. (scrap) Paid .60 for the lead and he shorted aprox the weight for the backing. It was extra soft. He had ingots that he said were lino for $1./lb, but neither had a way to check, and I had too much weight in a KIA.

Rooster
06-11-2013, 09:54 PM
I just called two local dealers and the buy/sell price for regular WW was .24/$1.50!!! Sheesh it's cheaper than that on Swappin & Sellin in processed ingots. They can keep them for that kind of price.

7Acres
06-12-2013, 12:08 PM
Every time this comes up a lot of people say that the lead supply is drying up meaning the people wanting to buy lead are finding the prices are getting higher and higher.

That seems to be what lots of folks on here are experiencing. Anyone here still finding lead at good-old-day prices?

bangerjim
06-12-2013, 01:20 PM
Every time this comes up a lot of people say that the lead supply is drying up meaning the people wanting to buy lead are finding the prices are getting higher and higher.

That seems to be what lots of folks on here are experiencing. Anyone here still finding lead at good-old-day prices?

As I said above, I have absolutely no problem finding pure lead, alloy, and WW's in the many yards around my area. Price used to be 0.30/# a few years ago. Now it's at metals market prices of ~$1/pound. Just look at ANY of the metals today. Sadly, you will never buy copper, brass, silver, gold, tin, platinum at the "good-old-day" prices again.

It pains my back pocket to pay $1, but that is what it is..........and there is pleanty of it for the taking.

I gave up on "Buddy" at the tire shops. Too many are forced to recycle all lead (if your state even allows it anymore) with certified recyclers........and pocket the profits gained on something they used to just throw away. Some states are now treating lead as "haz-mat" and force shops to process it thru approved companies and PAY them to take the lead from their shops!!!!!

Don't 'ya just love those Left Coast tree-kissers and owl-huggers?

bangerjim

snowman
06-16-2013, 09:05 PM
Lead spot price is around $.90/lb

Don't know what the scrap yard pays, just what I pay them to take it away. Clean is $.85/lb (they almost always have it). Lino is usually $1.00 a pound (if they have it), and that's a deal since if they had more they could sell it for $1.12 a pound to their buyers. High tin % solder is sold by % of tin x tin spot price.

At another yard, I get it for $.40-$1.00 / lb depending on the day, but I spend A LOT of money there. They have a XRD gun, so I get all of my steel there instead of the steel supply yard, still know the alloy.

Nothing is drying up from my perspective, you just have to be willing to work for it a little harder if you haven't built good connections.

rmark
06-16-2013, 10:07 PM
70 cents a pound a few weeks ago for pipe and flashing, plus a few coww they tossed in.