PDA

View Full Version : My condolences

Lloyd Smale
06-11-2013, 05:56 AM
Feel sorry for the guys that put maybe two sets of back straps in the freezer each year. This time of year when im trying to empty out the freezer to get ready to start shooting deer we have back straps on the grill probably twice a week. Venison at least 3 times a week. Only thing im out of is burger and im back to eating beef burger. Its amazing how nasty ground chuck tastes after eating venison burger all year. You about have aquire a taste for it.

winelover
06-11-2013, 06:43 AM
Have venison burger, will gladly trade for backstraps. :Bright idea:

Winelover

40-82
06-11-2013, 07:00 AM
I agree with you. It's nice to east venison year 'round, but as I make my living as a beef farmer, I'm a little embarrassed about the practice--bad advertising. I do make this concession: if I ever eat in a public venue, I always eat beef and never something from my competitors, the hog people, or the chicken pluckers, nothing wrong with their products; I just don't want to give them the free advertising.

I will say this: sometimes I do kill a beef, and if you had the hamburger from an animal I especially selected for temprement and condition, you might not like it as well as you do your wild meat, but it wouldn't be bad either. The quality of the commerically available product is generally unfortunate.

Sweetpea
06-11-2013, 05:54 PM
Lloyd, I'm jealous.

While I grew up in the mitten, I never hunted there.

Now that I am out west, I average 1 buck tag every other year...

We just don't have that same problem here.

Brandon

WARD O
06-12-2013, 11:45 AM
For well over 20 years I had a similar problem - My daughters got thru high school without hardly knowing the taste of beef being brought up on elk. But alas, it seems that between development of hobby ranches and someone making the Montana hills even steeper I haven't had to deal with the overabundance of elk anymore. Sure did enjoy it~

(minnesota venison is pretty good thou)

ward

DxieLandMan
06-12-2013, 12:06 PM
I live on a cattle farm but do not like buying beef anymore. I took an elk several years ago and my wife and I finally ran out so it is back to buying beef at certain times. Got to wait until deer season starts back up.

reloader28
06-13-2013, 09:21 AM
I really like deer/elk steaks and stews, but when it comes to a hamburger I prefer a nice greasy beef burger. Sorry.
My deer/elk burger goes to jerky and sausages.

But, there is a HUGE, HUGE difference in eating a home raised, grain fed cow vs that stuff they pass off for meat in the store.
Same with eggs. Store bought eggs have zero flavor.

762 shooter
06-14-2013, 05:43 PM
I heavy up on the venison burger. Like bubba with shrimp. Spaghetti sauce, meat loaf, meat balls, chili, burger steaks, girl scout thingys in aluminum foil, goulash, SOS, lasagna, baked ziti, hamburger, Sloppy Joes, pizza topping, stuffed cabbage/peppers, vegetable beef soup, taco filling, burritos, tostadas, venison sausage, boudin, etc.

I must agree with reloader28, the best hamburger is a beef burger. I usually grind a chuck roast to make my beef burger. MMMMMM good.

scottiemom
06-14-2013, 08:10 PM
I should have such problems!!

Artful
06-15-2013, 10:19 PM
I'm very jealous - I have not hunted deer or elk since moving from the pacific northwest almost 20 years ago.

Bad Water Bill
06-15-2013, 11:08 PM
Pardon me but what is venison?

I live in Crook Co Illinois only the coyotes are permitted to eat deer.

TXGunNut
06-16-2013, 01:30 AM
I'm almost out of venison....but I'm making sausage from wild piggies this weekend!

Mk42gunner
06-16-2013, 07:44 AM
...But, there is a HUGE, HUGE difference in eating a home raised, grain fed cow vs that stuff they pass off for meat in the store.
Same with eggs. Store bought eggs have zero flavor.

Very true words of wisdom. I grew up eating home raised beef, chicken and small game. Between the calf we raised every year and the half a beef that Grandpa gave us, I still have a hard time ordering a steak in a restaurant; they just do not taste good, plus they are usually tough.

I was to the point of getting a few chickens, but I don't eat enough eggs to make it pay anymore, when I found a lady that is selling eggs that taste like she is actually feeding them corn for $1.50/dozen. The first one I cracked I had to hit twice, so she must be giving them plenty of oyster shells also.

Like I told my Mom, I can't see raising chickens, when I can get eggs for that price.

Robert