PDA

View Full Version : Scored a couple of presses

mattd
06-10-2013, 11:02 PM
A friend of a friend, etc., died and I ended up with some stuff. Two things are two presses that are not in great shape.

First a Lyman all American. Looks to be missing the lever, shell holder holder(?), and some pivot bar that's on the back left as you look at it.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f196/mattd1978/b9bc199fecf5d0adb4d25b56b0b63ba5_zps17c3b4f4.jpg

And a red Pacific Tools Power C single stage. It has a shell holder marked Pacific in it that I can't pop out with my fingers. Haven't tried too hard yet.

What do you guys think?

wv109323
06-10-2013, 11:14 PM
My Pacific has a set screw to hold the shell holder. Look for one at the top of the ram.

mattd
06-11-2013, 05:23 PM
So for the all American it looks like I'll just need the lever, shell holder adaptor and the primer arm to bring it back to original. Sound right? Anything obvious missing in the pic?

seagiant
06-11-2013, 06:24 PM
Hi,
Where's the Pacific???

mattd
06-11-2013, 06:36 PM
i'm outta town right now, but will get pics of it tomorrow or thr. it needs cleaning but is in decent shape and pretty straight forward. I need more help with the turret press. never used one before.

seagiant
06-11-2013, 07:09 PM
i'm outta town right now, but will get pics of it tomorrow or thr. it needs cleaning but is in decent shape and pretty straight forward. I need more help with the turret press. never used one before.

Hi,
Nothing to a turrent! Usually has a nut at the top and then a ball and spring to index it as you push it around. The only way I can use them is to use it as a single stage in batches of 50 cases at a time. If you try to do a cartridge one at a time you are snapping the turret head back and forth and for me it gets tiresome! Others may disagree,this is just my opinion! I went to a PW Met II which does away with the turrent and uses a swingarm to move the case to the dies!

USMC87
06-11-2013, 10:45 PM
That's a good looking set up, The pacific power c is a good press and will serve you well.

44Vaquero
06-12-2013, 12:25 PM
About the AA Turret, I would not worry about the primer arm assembly it did not work that well, unless you want it as curio. The AA uses J type shell holders or the previously mentioned x-adapter. The J types are on e-bay all the time. I have already acquired the 5 or 6 needed for my Tru-Line Jr. from e-bay. Prices range from 6 to 20 dollars, it pays to shop around.

The photo does not show the priming pins. Do you have the pins? If not, you can prime off the press or obtain new pins from e-bay also Lyman sells a replacement pin.

The AA is a very nice bench top turret and as Seagiant suggested it is best used for batch processing reloads.

mattd
06-13-2013, 12:49 AM
The photo does not show the priming pins. Do you have the pins? If not, you can prime off the press or obtain new pins from e-bay also Lyman sells a replacement pin.

Are the pins the part that attaches to the press and the primer arm swings on? Wouldn't need those unless I was using the arm?

Here's the pacific. No set screw at the shell holder.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f196/mattd1978/1f2ad443e907ea36997e5a4aa9c2f2e8_zpsecb7fa74.jpg

LUBEDUDE
06-13-2013, 03:18 AM
For me Turrets are natural as can be. Plus they take the boredom/monotony out of single stage loading.

44Vaquero
06-13-2013, 06:46 AM
Mattd; The priming arm is not required to use the priming pins for on press priming. The pin installs in the base of the press, when the shell carrier comes down the pin goes through the center of the shell holder. You would be placing the primer in the cup manually.

seagiant
06-13-2013, 08:22 AM
Hi,
People are funny,I would clean/rebuild the Pacific and sell the AA! That Pacific press is bullit proof and a VERY good example of what people SHOULD be buying as a 1st press!!! I'd step over 2 LEE Classic Casts to get to the Pacific! Ha! Go figure!

Char-Gar
06-13-2013, 03:02 PM

Pacific cast iron presses are everlasting. I have several of them. The latest if this 1930s C. I load with it frequently and it is as good as new.

Clean up that Pacific and put it to work.

Take a brass drift punch and a hammer and give the shell holder a tap from the rear or as close to it as you can get. It will pop out, then a little clean up and oil and it will pop in and out with your fingers.

LAH
06-13-2013, 09:59 PM
That's a good looking set up, The pacific power c is a good press and will serve you well.

I now have this Marines press & will keep it till he comes to reclaim it. Then I will be happy to turn it over.
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h244/Creekerpics/People/023.jpg (http://s66.photobucket.com/user/Creekerpics/media/People/023.jpg.html)

LAH
06-13-2013, 10:02 PM
I have a Lyman All American Turret which works great. I don't use the priming arm but the priming punch works great. I place the primers on the bench & place them in the punch with my finger. This was my only turret for years so I could do 150 per hour with it even doing the primers by hand [fingers].

Jack Stanley
06-14-2013, 12:22 PM
seagiant , you ain't kiddin' nobody ..... I bet you'd climb over most of a truckload of LEE stuff to get at an old Pacific . I won't even get into what you'd do for an old Dillon .

Jack

seagiant
06-14-2013, 12:30 PM
seagiant , you ain't kiddin' nobody ..... I bet you'd climb over most of a truckload of LEE stuff to get at an old Pacific . I won't even get into what you'd do for an old Dillon .

Jack

....and have done!:-D

Mike Kerr
06-15-2013, 11:29 AM
Fun thread. Good pictures.