PDA

View Full Version : Lube by Weight or Volume

uncrichie
09-24-2007, 10:29 AM
Hi all. I'm making up lube and I know there are a gazillion concoctions out there. This should be an easy one though. When you see a recipe for a 50/50 lube mix are they talking by Weight or by Volume. I realize that it may take some tweaking of the recipe but to start off I wanted to get in the ball park. TIA. Uncrichie.

Single Shot
10-28-2007, 05:33 AM
I have always used BY WEIGHT for the lubes I made. California SAECO GREEN is an exception. Wax is by weight, liquid additive is my volume.

Lloyd Smale
10-28-2007, 05:46 AM
its not rocket science. throw it together and shoot it up.

redneckdan
12-10-2007, 06:42 PM
I 2nd^

I lube the same way I cook. A little of this, a pinch of that, Hey! I wander what this will do! that sorta thing

Ricochet
12-10-2007, 09:01 PM
Exactly.

shooter575
12-10-2007, 10:26 PM
In my fancy double boiler [coffee can in old pot] I just mesure by inches :shock: You know 4" of melted beeswax,2" of this,1" of that....
I would sorta write mixture on the wall so if you need to fine tune with fractions you have somthing to relate it to.
As said before "it aint rocket science"

montana_charlie
12-12-2007, 08:21 PM
When you see a recipe for a 50/50 lube mix are they talking by Weight or by Volume?
It means half and half.

If you are using a pint of one ingredient, use a pint of the other.
If your stuff won't pour, then use a pound of one and a pound of the other.

Either way, it's half and half...and two pints probably weighs close to two pounds, anyway.

I doubt there is a huge difference in density between the many substances used in bullet lube recipes. If there was, they wouldn't mix together very well.

A pound of wax (if it isn't whipped full of air as it cools) probably has a volume very similar to a pound of oil. So, if you melt enough wax to fill your pot four inches deep, adding four inches of oil probably comes real close to doubling the weight.

So, unless your lube is so carefully 'engineered' that a minor variation makes a big difference...choosing weight or volume doesn't really matter...I would say.
CM

Dale53
12-14-2007, 10:14 PM
When I have mixed " Emmert's Home Mix ", I did it by volume (for about 20 years).

Dale53