PDA

View Full Version : Neurostimulator implant

tomme boy
06-10-2013, 10:34 PM
What can you guys tell me about these? My DR. has given me some options and this is one he is recommending to me if we have to. I have had chronic pain in my back my whole life. And lately is has been getting worse and causing other complications. He gave me a DVD and a booklet about this today and I have not read or watched it.

I did a quick search on the net and it looks like there are a lot of side effects. Let me know what you have to say about this.

R.M.
06-10-2013, 11:01 PM
I have one, used to treat chronic head-aches. If the doc gets the leads in the right place, and a good tech programing it,they can be wonderful. I had a double implanted 3 years ago,and it helped for a while, then this past winter, I had new leads put in. With the new layout and programs, I'm able to actually able to work again.
I'd do it again with no hesitation.

220swiftfn
06-11-2013, 01:21 AM
I'd suggest that he try you on a "Tens" unit first, before they cut you open....... They had me on a tens for my back (briefly), as it wound up aggravating my sciatica..........

Dan

Bzcraig
06-11-2013, 01:57 AM
My wife is a sufferer of chronic back pain, two failed surgeries. She elected not to do this mainly because her source of pain is very rare. Anyway, I understand before it is implanted they can do a trial run with a unit that has not been implanted to see what kind of results you can expect.

R.M.
06-11-2013, 08:57 AM
For the trial, they implant the leads, but the power source is external. I walked around for 3 weeks with wires hanging out the back of my head. Sure had security scratching their heads getting into sports stadiums.
Yes the neurostimulator implant is somewhat like a tens unit, but you can't get the coverage that you can with electrodes placed right next the nerve.