PDA

View Full Version : 20 hull in 12 ga.

Hogtamer
06-10-2013, 10:02 PM
Still trying to perfect a 12 ga. 2 ball w/570 swaged balls. Best I've been able to do is one good ball and one flyer @ 50 yds. no matter what combo I've used. What do you guys think about a cut to length 20 ga hull for a sleeve on top of a BPI base wad, a nitro card at bottom of sleeve and one between balls? I think it may be fine but have no idea what kind of pressure it would generate over maybe 28 grns Longshot in a 2 3/4 federal hull. What say you?

220swiftfn
06-11-2013, 02:28 AM
Bad things there, a 20 ga. shell will enter the chamber up to the forcing cone and get stuck there, this has blown up guns in the past (mistaken chambering, but same results). there's always going to be a "spread" when there's more than one projectile per load, how much separation are you getting at 50???

Dan

dverna
06-11-2013, 07:04 AM
http://www.precisionreloading.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=BLST&Store_Code=PRE

Here you go. I understand their prices are not too bad to test loads. Definitely cheaper than a new barrel/gun or trip to the ER.

Or tie the gun to a tire. Add a long string to the trigger. Get behind a good barrier and light one off. Of course even if the gun survives it could be an over pressure round so you still do not know if it is really safe.

Don Verna

turbo1889
06-11-2013, 04:39 PM
You can use a the plastic tube part of a 16ga. hull as a loading sleeve inside of a 12ga. shell with the head cut off of the bottom of the 16ga hull leaving ONLY the forward plastic tube part which will have the right outside diameter to fit inside of the bore of a 12ga. I have used that method before myself for experimental slug designs where I needed a long solid plastic tube of the right diameter to fit inside of a 12ga. barrel but there are much better options available namely in the form of certain non-toxic heavy duty thick walled shot wads for the 12ga. which are mainly available from Precision Reloading and Ballistic Products both as slit and un-slit wads. I am personally a particular fan of the unslit LBC wads from BPI which are practically a 12ga./20ga. sabot such that their external diameter fits inside a 12ga. barrel (approx. 0.73") but their walls are so thick that their inside diameter is the same as the bore diameter of a 20ga. (approx. 0.62").

nanuk
06-12-2013, 09:06 PM
You can use a the plastic tube part of a 16ga. hull as a loading sleeve inside of a 12ga. shell with the head cut off of the bottom of the 16ga hull leaving ONLY the forward plastic tube part which will have the right outside diameter to fit inside of the bore of a 12ga.

that is what I understood was being done, when I read the OP