PDA

View Full Version : Gone fishing or something...

Finn45
09-24-2007, 08:52 AM
Sheesh... better for me to go fishing than hunting I guess. Limited time and obviously frugal mind has driven me in to situation where's no room for errors. And when something can go wrong it will. Should have know better, I'm beating myself hard [smilie=b: . I got rid of the scout setup in Marlin and now my newly acquired but old Japanese Tasco 1.75-5x20 resigned our agreement to hold this season. I was asking only for this season. It gave me nice groups, about acceptable field of view and so and so clarity for bright daylight use. And then, right on my finishing range visit yesterday, meant just to do final adjustments for the hunting load, suddenly all hits are spread all over about 10 inches wide. Few more test groups and it was clear. Okay, oatmeal money well spent already and new scope coming, Leupy this time, but less than a week to zero it, season opens Saturday. Sounds easy? Well I guess I can take my share of schedules from the family, dad is busy... getting pretty dark after work though. What bugs me most, is that I have only 12, yes, 12 boolits left for hunting. Did I mention frugal mind and limited time? Yes, I'm beating myself harder :killingpc . I can zero the scope using other boolits and finish it with two-three hunting boolit, but there's no room for error. I can also use two nights to cast and calibrate more of those, but anyway it takes time, especially because these needs beagling. So, I ordered couple boxes of bullets with the scope. Yes, bullets, just for an insurance. They are some fancy kangaroo bullets, I guess they will do moose as well. Suits me better than to use my spare .30-06 with some Federal hyper super shock ammo (they sell those from the shelf readily assembled I found out last fall). I hope FGC will forgive me. And now, if post office gives me more blood pressure with delay or something, I'll go and let them hear me.

Btw, my wife sometimes reminds me how easy it is just to "buy those from the store"; she knows this because my father-in-law and brother-in-law does it that way. About everybody does it that way. Oh how little they know, ha ha...

No confirmation from the retail company yet...:(

dubber123
09-24-2007, 06:48 PM
All scopes can fail, but your odds of it happenig just decreased dramatically when you ordered that Leupold. I finally had a fit last year and all of my cheap scopes took a ride to the dumpster. I have almost all rescoped with Leupolds, but it's hard to look at a new rifle I can't shoot because I can't afford the scope right now, but I'm not giving in. The cheapies just gave me too much trouble.

44man
09-24-2007, 08:35 PM
For more years then I can imagine, my bow would break just before or during the season and you guessed it, none in stock.
At least with a gun you can go to open sights if need be. Better yet, get out the revolver. [smilie=1:

kodiak1
09-24-2007, 09:27 PM
Finn45 man you better mellow or you will be so worked up you will never get that new tubed pointing in the right direction!!!!
I do hear you though on the Murphy's law thing about what ever can go wrong will.
Hope it all works out for you and you score a good kill, a one shot kill then you will be back to feeling normal.
All the best hunting Ken.

Buckshot
09-24-2007, 11:02 PM
...............Just think Finn. Maybe you'll get lucky and not see anything, so you can save those 9 rounds after sighting in to get a jump on next year ?:-)

Does THAT make you feel better?

...............Buckshot

NVcurmudgeon
09-25-2007, 12:02 AM
What bugs me most, is that I have only 12, yes, 12 boolits left for hunting. Did I mention frugal mind and limited time? Yes, I'm beating myself harder :killingpc . I can zero the scope using other boolits and finish it with two-three hunting boolit, but there's no room for error.(

Finn, not to worry. By your own count you will still have 9-10 boolits left for hunting after sighting in with the new Leupold. But to insure success, I'll sacrifice a boolit by dropping it into nearby Galena Creek, with a good word for you to the Nevada lead spirits.

Bass Ackward
09-25-2007, 06:15 AM
Sounds like excuses to me. :grin:

When I have a cold winter, I get all years casting done. When I run outta bullets, it's because we had a warm winter and I (my wife) found something else to do.

You must have had a warm winter last year.

Good hunting!

Finn45
09-29-2007, 04:56 PM
Uhh… Killed a calf today with my 7 yo son, using my Sako with condom bullets and that means Marlin stayed home this time. Shot was a bit difficult, Marlin wouldn’t have barked at that, but Sako did. I got that Leupold early enough and I got few more boolits made during the nights but something is wrong here… Better groups with irons than with scope last Friday. In the afternoon today I put that Tasco on my Sako and got pretty wide groups, a lot worse than with previous MSW, but acceptable for moose hunting. Tasco is clearly out of order, but it doesn’t explain all the bad grouping with Marlin. More investigation needed, but I have bad feeling… Thanks for the heads up though, I mean everybody; my son obviously doesn’t care if moose is killed with Sako .30-06 an cb (condom bullets) or Marlin and CB (Cast Boolits). I mostly care about my sons feelings anyway. Bass Ackward, John, my friend… of course it’s an excuse; we actually did very warm winter, but that only means a little lower energy bill… My problem is that I’m so keen in to my kids that I usually doesn’t need any excuses to go with them… and that means not to go with my hobbies. With my mentality, four kids (and one wife...) are enough to take care of my all active life, so not too much left for these things. For now anyway. I’ve been figuring out these things like crazy past few days and I know it’s not enough, but… Well, season started here pretty well anyway; drinks on me :drinks:…