PDA

View Full Version : Better dirty than clean?

Lead melter
09-24-2007, 07:55 AM
I have an H&R 1871 Target Classic in 38-55 I bought from a fellow about 4 years ago, then spent the next 3 years trying to get it to shoot. AA 5744, RL7, about everything I could find to put in and no satisfaction. Then I came across a couple loads with Red Dot and Unique, each with 9 to 10 grains powder. Tried them with National 249 grain flat base, Bonus Bullets 240 grain flat base, and Lee 250 grain flat base with liquid Alox lube. All sized .379". Went from 18" groups at 100 yards to 4" groups at 100 yards with either powder, and all shot to generally the same point of aim. Velocity is slightly higher with Red Dot, but both run out about 1500-1550fps. Keep in mind I had never cleaned this gun, even after a good 1000 rounds trial and error over the 3 years. I scrubbed out the barrel with Hoppes #9, followed by some Birchwood Casey Lead Cleaning cloth and got several small slivers of lead. Went to the range the other day and it shot erratically again, but now some slugs shot to point of aim, while others shot 15"-18" low. Reckon I did something wrong, or maybe the barrel needs a few hundred through it to "season" back in? Ya'll had this happen before? Throw out the suggestions...I'll try most anything and will keep you posted.

Jon K
09-24-2007, 10:07 AM
Lead melter,

Been there, done that, try slowing it down to the 1100-1400 fps range and see if you can chamber a boolit sized .380. I also found the harder lubes didn't work as well. Just have to find the right combinaton the gun likes.

Jon

Boomer Mikey
09-24-2007, 11:57 AM
Testing loads without knowing chamber charcteristics, bore condition between groove diameters at the muzzle, and the breach, and the reference point of a clean, unfouled bore isn't a good way to get reliable, defineable results. You may have had several good loads show up if the bore hadn't been fouled from previous loads. Too many variables exist between the fouling characteristics of different lubes, bullet alloys, and powders.

Slug the bore, make a chamber cast or chamber impact cast to provide you with the information you need to select bullets that will be 0.001" to 0.002" larger than your groove diameter if possible. Maximum groove diameter and maximum chamber neck diameter size can be used to determine the largest bullet size you can chamber in your brass.

1871 38-55 chambers are cut with reamers that duplicate original 38-55 characteristics. Modern brass is thicker and shorter than original brass. Read the other 1871 and 38-55 threads here for the details.

Get some new Starline 2.125" long 38-55 brass and bullets sized as large as will chamber then start your load development with a clean bore... each time you change powders, bullets, or lubes. You may be surprised at how easy the good groups will come to you.

Boomer :Fire:

stillhunter
07-31-2008, 10:57 PM
Sell it, and buy a Marlin 1895 in 45-70 with the Ballerd rifleing. You will be MUCH happier.