PDA

View Full Version : Sharps-The First Turn On

ColColt
06-10-2013, 04:40 PM
I can't remember when I first got turned on to Sharps/Rolling Block style rifles but at some point the flames were fanned back in 1974 at the NRA Convention in Atlanta.I had the great pleasure of meeting Elmer Keith who was by the Guns and Ammo booth. I asked for his autograph after some small talk and he handed me the G&A edition of "Black Powder Rifles" Inside was an article by him on the Sharps Rifle. Never will forget what he said when I asked for his autograph, "Let's see, I've got an article in this SOB somewhere". He signed on the page where he had the article and I still have that magazine today. He was quite a character and I wish I had more time I could have spent with this legend. That set the stage and finally after all these years i recently bought one.

http://s180.photobucket.com/user/ColColt/media/Misc%20Stuff/_DEF3942.jpg.html

mazo kid
06-10-2013, 05:09 PM
That's pretty cool! I have three of his books, but none are signed.

RMulhern
06-10-2013, 06:46 PM
Sad to say....Ole Elmer's generation are long gone!! Probably best....that they haven't had to witness what this country has turned into!!

country gent
06-10-2013, 08:58 PM
You said that wrong "witnessing" is what allowed this to happen. Elmer Kieth and his generation were doers and spoke out voted and would stand up for what was right. Elmer Kieth, Jack Oconnor, And all f those gentleman lived the life and stood up for what was right.