PDA

View Full Version : A new .45-70 Mold

Potsy
06-10-2013, 12:18 PM
I've been thinking about a new .45-70 mold. Not gonna buy one real quick, sometime after Christmas probably.
Mine's a Ruger #1, so it has no throat. I've got a Ranch Dog .460-350 that I like, but I have to trim cases way back to get it to chamber.
I'm thinking something like a 425 grain solid with a hollow point pin of 30 or so grains. Or possibly even multiple HP pins. Gas checked. Iron or brass. Single cavity would be fine. Multiple lube grooves. LBT'ish profile, but bearing in mind the Ruger throat (or lack thereof).
It's not going to be light loaded. I've got a 405HB for that. This unit will live around 1750fps or so. And may go faster if I decide to put a better recoil pad on that rifle.
I'm thinking HP's out of WW or 1:16 should hammer a large hole through stuff, then heat treated WW solids for any Bison, Grizzly, Cape Buffalo, etc. I happen to see wandering through my back yard.
Does anyone have anything like that in production?
Any ideas on who would be the best to contact about a custom unit?

Piedmont
06-10-2013, 07:40 PM
Why don't you seat your Ranch Dog bullet more deeply in the case instead of messing with trimming cases?

btroj
06-10-2013, 08:01 PM
An Accurate 46-425b with a crimp groove in place of the front grease groove would be an excellent choice.

41 mag fan
06-11-2013, 12:18 AM
Accurates 46-425Q is one I've got. Shot a few thru it, but have some other weights I'm testing on thru my Browning at the moment.

Potsy
06-11-2013, 11:46 AM
Seated to the crimp groove the Ranch Dog was to long in my #1. I guess it may have crimped over the ogive, I just never tried.
I never had been on Accurate's web page before. They've got some really nice designs. The only downside is that he said (in the FAQ section) that he is not able to hollowpoint YET. Hopefully that'll change before long.
I could see one of his designs for my .45-70. And one of his .43-250K's for my .44 Special, and one of his .36-155K's and.......

grampa243
06-11-2013, 12:03 PM
what do you mean when you say it was too long??

would it chamber with finger pressure?

bullet ingraved by rifleing?

Potsy
06-11-2013, 03:07 PM
Yes. If loaded in standard length .45-70 brass and crimped in the crimp groove, the cartridge would not chamber. Too long. Finger pressure would not force it in enough to close the breech on my #1. Very short throat.

MT Chambers
06-11-2013, 03:59 PM
I wouldn't look any further then Accurate or LBT, but neither makes HP. Accurate for their beautiful brass molds and LBT for their famous designs, both will work with you on sizes and designs, weights, etc.

grampa243
06-12-2013, 07:55 AM
Yes. If loaded in standard length .45-70 brass and crimped in the crimp groove, the cartridge would not chamber. Too long. Finger pressure would not force it in enough to close the breech on my #1. Very short throat.

as long as a empty standard length case can chamber you don't need to trim just seat till they chamber. in a single shot rifle you don't need to crimp really just enough the remove the belling from the lip. some guns will chamber a belled case even.

Spokerider
06-13-2013, 12:13 PM

Maybe a throater from Manson Reamers and lengthen it a little? Be about the same cost as another mold.

captaint
06-13-2013, 10:25 PM
I was gonna say, why don't you just get the chamber straingtened out and add a little freebore ?? I'm sure you can get it done without a pile of money. Mike