PDA

View Full Version : Eye Glasses and Deer Hunting

Cane_man
06-09-2013, 08:58 PM
hey fellas, i finally had to break down and get some glasses this year for seeing at a distance... this will be the first year i have to do this when hunting... i dont wear them all the time just for watching TV, sporting events, etc. and now when hunting...

i dont like to wear them unless in need to, so what i want to know is for you guys that take your eye glasses what do you do with them when not wearing them? lanyard, clip on case, or what?

jmort
06-09-2013, 09:01 PM
I use shirt pocket. Check out Zenni Optical. I can get two pair of poly carbonate glasses for around $50.00 delivered. Take the $25.00 pair to the "field." Keep the second $25.00 pair for back-up.

Copper75
06-09-2013, 09:03 PM
I used to keep them in a case when hunting ( only needed for close up). Now I need them for shooting too so I don't have that problem.
Hmmm...I just figured out something good about getting old n blind :)

starnbar
06-09-2013, 09:05 PM
Been keeping mine in my top coat pocket its got a button so unless I trip and fall on em they keep pretty good and on a wet morning they don't fog up as fast from my pocket.

Duckiller
06-09-2013, 09:25 PM
If you need glasses to see at distances, you are near sighted. Wear your glasses all the time. It is a wonderful world out there and you need to see it clearly. Especially if you are hunting. You need to clearly see what you are shooting at and where you are wandering. I am near sighted and have worn glasses for about 57 years. Seeing things clearly at a distance is wonderful. I put my glasses in a case at night or if camping and I forgot a case the I put them in my a shoe or boot to keep them from being stepped on.

quilbilly
06-09-2013, 09:36 PM
When I am in the field, I rarely take them off since I have trouble seeing details over 50 yards away. I do carry a pair of reading glasses with me in a case so when I do take them off, that case is where they go.

45 2.1
06-09-2013, 09:37 PM
If you need glasses to see at distances, you are near sighted. Wear your glasses all the time. It is a wonderful world out there and you need to see it clearly. Especially if you are hunting. You need to clearly see what you are shooting at and where you are wandering. I am near sighted and have worn glasses for about 57 years. Seeing things clearly at a distance is wonderful. I put my glasses in a case at night or if camping and I forgot a case the I put them in my a shoe or boot to keep them from being stepped on.

+1.... that stepped on business happens.

btroj
06-09-2013, 09:58 PM
Mine are stored neatly on my face. Where they belong.
I may remove them to use binocs but that is the only time.

Last year it rained all Sunday of opening weekend, that made glasses suck.

Beats not being able to see though.

Cane_man
06-10-2013, 12:22 PM
thanks for the suggestions... i am still thinking it over... if i am glassing or shooting i dont need the glasses, it is just when i am still hunting or hiking but i sweat like a pig, and the stuff drips all over the glasses, etc., and i prefer to take them on and off as needed, so i was wondering about some type of lanyard...

06-10-2013, 12:26 PM
laser surgery has been wonderful for my friends. thinking about it myself.

MBTcustom
06-10-2013, 12:33 PM
+1 on laser surgery. I am one of 7 children from my parents. Myself and brother Alex are the only two who have good vision. The other 5 siblings have terrible vision. So far, my dad, my two elder sisters, and my next youngest brother have all have laser surgery. My eldest sister did it first about 7 years ago, and it's still going strong and she can see.
I can say with complete confidence that if I ever start to lose my vision there is no way in hell I'm not going to get laser surgery. I'm going to nip that right in the dad-gum bud no if's and's or but's.
My vision isn't as sharp as it was 10 years ago, but I can still see what I need to far away, and I use a visor for close work to reduce strain, and I get my vision checked regularly.

Now my hearing? That's a whole different matter. Sometimes it's like I'm underwater trying to hear folks talking.

Smoke4320
06-10-2013, 12:36 PM
been wearing glasses for many years .. switched to contacts about 10 years ago .. saw my deer count go way up.. All I can think is sometimes they would see a shine from the lenses..
anybody else experience this ?

Cane_man
06-10-2013, 12:38 PM
had laser surgery 10 years ago and it wore off! would like to have it again but the price has doubled since then...

Bad Water Bill
06-10-2013, 01:29 PM
Where do I place my glasses when not wearing them?

When in bed,on the night stand.

When in the shower, on the lid of the porcelain potty.

On my face at all other times.

They cost a lot of money. Why not use them ALL of the time?

Beerd
06-10-2013, 02:59 PM
What do they call them things you find on sunglasses; "Croakies"?

snuffy
06-10-2013, 05:45 PM
hey fellas, i finally had to break down and get some glasses this year for seeing at a distance... this will be the first year i have to do this when hunting... i dont wear them all the time just for watching TV, sporting events, etc. and now when hunting...

i dont like to wear them unless in need to, so what i want to know is for you guys that take your eye glasses what do you do with them when not wearing them? lanyard, clip on case, or what?

I've been wearing glasses since I was 8. Where do they get stored? On my nose, tucked behind my ear. I'd have a very hard time surviving without glasses. I'm REAL fussy about seeing clearly.

Lazer is out for me. It only corrects the cornea, some of my distorted vision is because the lenses are misshaped. Called residual astigmatism.

Consider yourself lucky that your vision is marginal. I know how people with good eyes hate that lens in front of their eyes, and the feeling of the frames.

Wayne Smith
06-10-2013, 08:15 PM
I put them on when I get up and take them off when I go to bed. Likewise on the bathroom sink counter when I shower. I have a glasses container that the boys got me for one Father's Day maybe 25 years ago and I still use it. Also in a shoe when camping or sleeping away from home.

I've been wearing them that way since I was 9. I too am nearsighted with an astigmatism. Now glaucoma also, had lazer surgery for that. I tried contacts in grad school when they came out with some for astigmatism. First, they never got my left eye correct. Second, I hated the feeling of air on my eyes! They had been protected by glasses for almost 20 years at that point. Still wear glasses.

leeggen
06-10-2013, 08:39 PM
Smoken4320, maybe you can now see the deer that were there an you couldn't see them?????hahaha
CD

foesgth
06-10-2013, 11:42 PM
I use shirt pocket. Check out Zenni Optical. I can get two pair of poly carbonate glasses for around $50.00 delivered. Take the $25.00 pair to the "field." Keep the second $25.00 pair for back-up.

Thanks for the Zenni Optical lead. I just ordered safety glasses from them at a great price. This site alway has better advice than Dear Abby (I'm showing my age).

gbrown
06-10-2013, 11:55 PM
I've been wearing glasses since 24 yoa. Not a lot of correction, now at 66. I can see out to about 150 yds without them, fairly clearly. Have had bifocals since about 53. When hunting, rarely use them. My shots are not that far out. My scopes are sighted in at 100 yds, and I use the naked eye with them. When not on my face, my glasses are on a shelf in the stand, or in a pocket. Same with the range. Only time I put them on is to look at firing pin stamps or primers for signs of pressure. My oldest grandson is practically blind without glasses/contacts. Laser surgery probably in the works for him. As far as contacts, never could see putting something on my eyeball, even as a deputy sheriff getting in and out of A/C in very humid weather. Simply remove glasses. Bad guys within 50 yds at night, not a problem. BTW, Army now goes for corrective surgery for everyone with vision problem. Helps immensely with night vision goggles, protective masks, overall costs.

jmort
06-11-2013, 12:32 AM
"Thanks for the Zenni Optical lead."

They are so very good. For the $$$ nothing comes close to their quality and service. You should have the glasses in about a week.

Cane_man
07-16-2013, 09:21 PM

thanks for the suggestion... decided to get a pair for deer hunting and put them on a lanyard

DIRT Farmer
07-17-2013, 12:12 AM
As a hunter safety instructor and range officer plus retired EMT/P, what kind of nut with only two eyes of whatever condition would not wear their glasses when shooting? Bad desions kept me employed for a lot of years.

Boerrancher
07-17-2013, 12:28 AM
I started having to wear glasses when I got back from Afghanistan. I can see well enough with out them to pass a vision test for my drivers license but I like to see things clearly. I make sure I wear a hat with a brim on it when hunting. I prefer the boonie hat but a ball cap would work well also. The brim/bill keeps the rain off of the glasses when raining and helps keep the light from reflecting off of them. I know it works because I like to get up close and personal with the deer when I am hunting. About half the time I get blood splatter on me from the shot when I pull the trigger or loose an arrow.

Best wishes,

Joe

DougGuy
07-17-2013, 12:43 AM
I use reading glasses, usually about a 2.0 diopter, and I can't focus nearly as good on the front sight if I don't wear them. With them on, I have great focus on the front sight, and I am also noticing that they work better for me in sighting through a scope. Wow. Last time I shot my .308 was about 15yrs ago, I didn't even need glasses then. I have been fortunate enough to hunt with a .44 magnum pistol since then. Close range, who needs a rifle. I also learned that in hunting deer in Virginia and North Carolina, if you go where it is thick and difficult to travel in the woods, you will take more deer home than sitting over an open field.

Bzcraig
07-17-2013, 12:51 AM
I really don't like having to wear glasses and would switch to contacts but I have a hard time putting drops in my eyes. I also have cataracts that will require surgery soon so I'm praying the cataract surgery will negate having to wear the glasses or at least get rid of the bifocals.

Wal'
07-17-2013, 05:42 AM
Mine when not being used hang from an elasticized string around the neck, hang there in the morning & come off when going to bed.

Easily tucked away from damage under your jacket/jumper when doing any manual or physical work, been this way for almost 30 years & have only ever lost one pair in all that time.

gofastman
07-18-2013, 10:11 AM
I cant stand glasses! I sweat a lot and they fog up no matter what I do.

I got some Acuview Trueye daily disposable contacts and am very happy with them

reloaderman1
07-18-2013, 10:32 AM
My suggestion is to put them on !!! When hunting you never know when to put them on !
Some years ago, when I started to wear them, I was sitting under a tree when a buck came sneaking by. He was not in a hurry, just sneaking by, I raised my gun and what do you know... no front sight! I sighted along the barrel and shot....... a limb fell from a tree! He jumped behind a bush and when he looked out again, bang! A pile of mud flew up. There was no third try. So I cursed myself for having my glasses in my shirt pocket ( 3 layers under my coat ). Feeling bad I sat down again and waited. About an hour later here come 4 deer over the hill behind me, one is a buck! I pull up my gun and guess where my glasses were? I sight down the barrel again and put one in a tree! This was too much! I lost my shirt tail on that trip and always wear my glasses now!
Put them on !