PDA

View Full Version : Zastava M57 at AIM Surplus?

LIMPINGJ
06-09-2013, 11:04 AM
Has anyone bought one of these new production M57s and what you think of it?

LIMPINGJ
06-11-2013, 10:48 AM
Guess nobody has bought one of these new ones. What about one of the surplus Zastava M57s? How were they accuracy wise?

waksupi
06-11-2013, 02:25 PM
I've never shot one, but find it interesting that they are back in production.

JHeath
06-11-2013, 04:57 PM
Since nobody else is replying: I have a surplus M57 and so far have read about them more than shot mine. I'm sold on the design and construction. I really like the flatness without the stock grips.

They tend to have oversize bores, more like .311 - .313. Mine is .313 and not very accurate w/ Privi Partizan hardball. It needs a trigger job, but think it will require .313 boolits to shoot well.

I have read that other people have gotten good accuracy out of these pistols, but it might require slugging the bore and loading .311 - .313 projectiles.

I *think* they will feed flattish-nose bullets because the bottleneck case helps feeding. The bullet being a smaller diameter than the case and chamber helps prevent the nose hanging up.

These pistols are very robust and reportedly can be loaded with heavier bullets to impressive velocities, which should make them roughly comparable to a hot .32-20 or compact .30 Carbine.

jrayborn
06-11-2013, 08:03 PM
I have 2 M57's both great shooters and well, well worth the price I paid ($199). I just ordered the new version in 9mm I like them so much. If I can, I will post when I get it. I ordered from Bud's but AIM also has them. 9mm is just easier to load and come by, they huck the brass all over so I do plan to load for the 7.62x25 but suspect brass life will be short due to attrition.

I will add that they seem to sell out quickly. If you want it, get it!

wellfedirishman
06-12-2013, 01:28 AM
I have a M57 and it shoots great as stock. Feels like a 1911 but in a much zipper cartridge, and with better-than-GI sights. The combined fire-control group is very easy to remove/replace. It's a very utilitarian design.

If you can find a Norinco 213 (Chinese Tokarev variant) 9mm barrel, they drop in easily and shoot great.

TheGrimReaper
06-13-2013, 11:49 AM
I can say that a new M57 is on my short list.

khmer6
06-13-2013, 03:18 PM
Mine was very accurate with polish ammo. Haven't had a chance to shoot cast for it yet even though I have everything I need. I don't like the safety on the new ones. I also removed the magazine safety from my surplus gun. I wonder where we can order brand new pristine barrels

LIMPINGJ
06-13-2013, 04:18 PM
Thanks for the replies. I called the LGS and told him to order me one. Will report when it shows up. Now to just find some ammo.

khmer6
06-13-2013, 07:34 PM
Get some s&b ammo. Nice and hot and then send me the brass :-)

Dschuttig
06-14-2013, 12:21 AM
I just bought one myself. I went for the new production because I have read of problems with the add on saftey of the surplus yugo's. Anyone have a original with the saftey on the frame?

warboar_21
06-14-2013, 01:27 AM
I have wanted a 7.62x25 caliber pistol since shooting one of my friends a few years ago. I think I will have to buy a newer one soon as it cools down a bit.

jrayborn
06-14-2013, 06:05 AM
On my two surplus M57's the safety works really well. I removed the magazine safety and often use one as my carry piece, cocked and locked.

khmer6
06-14-2013, 12:51 PM
You can remove the safety they added in america. You will notice on most that the trigger pull comes down from a ridiculous 10-15# to something working able like 6-7. You then can remove the magazine safety above the bow as well. The original m57 did not have a safety. They were meant to be carried at the half cock notch. it is particularly a nasty round if loaded towards max. The results can be pretty devasting. But because surplus guns were made during war times and with materials as needed. Be aware not all may have been made to the same strength.

wellfedirishman
06-14-2013, 07:28 PM
I agree with Jrayborn. I took the magazine disconnect out of mine which was easy to do with a punch.

The US added safety on mine works very well, similar to a 1911.

They are nice pistols for the money.

khmer6
06-14-2013, 09:01 PM
Who was the importer on yours? One of mine the hammer wouldn't even drop even though the safety wasn't engaged. Many people have filed down their safety or removed completely. Anyways report back on the new production and maybe some field stripped pics. Would really be interested in slugged bore. And how the slide is assembled with the new safety. They were selling frames earlier this month for 15$. Too bad shipping and FFL tanked the deal for me

LIMPINGJ
06-15-2013, 11:12 AM
Got one of the new production M57s for $230.00 ordered from AIM yesterday hope to see it sometime next week. Will report when it comes in. No luck finding brass or ammo to get brass from. Has anyone used 30 Mauser brasss? I can get it but have not found case drawings to compare length.

khmer6
06-15-2013, 01:56 PM
Brass is hard to find. Starline is on backorder indefinitely. It is possible to cut down 223. I use the ones with really messed up necks or case mouths. S&b makes good ammo and brass. Someone might have surplus ammo around you. Its been about 2 years since cheap surplus ammo has been abundant. Some was available last year. I don't for see anymore ever entering the US unless the importation laws change.

jrayborn
06-15-2013, 01:58 PM
Starline sells 7.62x25 brass. It will probably be backordered but still, eventually available...

Old Iron Sights
06-17-2013, 11:49 PM
Just bought some star line brass on the broker for about the same price a the online stores.
M57 just arrived today from classic.

khmer6
06-18-2013, 12:00 AM
Make sure you get a brass catcher or you'll be looking for it in the next county :D
Please post pics of it broken down. I really want to see how the safety and hammer pack is integrated in these new ones that had the safety built into the slide

Gee_Wizz01
06-18-2013, 12:32 AM
I bought an M57 a couple of years ago when they first came out. Mine appeared to be unfired. The trigger was about 6 lbs and the frame mounted safety did not work properly. I figured out the problem, but just removed the safety as it wasn't original. I am thinking about having a buddy weld up the holes and re-blue the area. My specimen is quite accurate in spite of the heavy trigger, which I hope to have reworked. I bought several spare mags from Weideners last year, as they are very difficult to find. It is a nice slim gun and has become my truck gun. It is flat shooting and penetrates extremely well. I bought brass from starline before the craziness started and have just begun reloading using the lee 100 gr boolit.

G

khmer6
06-18-2013, 01:09 AM
6lbs is fairly light for those surplus especially with the faulty frame mounted safety lol.

Pier23
07-22-2013, 11:24 AM
Newbie here...

Looking at the Zastava and have read the stories about the safety mucking up the pistol.

CheaperThanDirt has a milsurp I am considering...is it the milsurps that have the problematic safety, new production, or both?

If I go the Zastava route, should I be looking at milsurp or new production?

Thx!

JHeath
07-22-2013, 12:21 PM
A heavier recoil spring might help save brass. Toks are notorious for hurling brass. Search the threads for Clark Magnuson, he found a spring in the Wolff #14 kit. Whether it is too heavy depends on your loads. When I return to the project I plan on *very* gradually filing down the ejector lug to make the pistol eject cases more gently. Consequences of filing too much would be replacing the modular fire control, although it could probably be welded back up.

If your bore is large and you load large boolits, you might find the chamber neck is too tight. You can turn or ream the case necks to thin them. I bought a .340 reamer to enlarge the chamber neck.

Wear hearing protection.

mace2364
07-22-2013, 12:54 PM
Who was the importer on yours? One of mine the hammer wouldn't even drop even though the safety wasn't engaged. Many people have filed down their safety or removed completely. Anyways report back on the new production and maybe some field stripped pics. Would really be interested in slugged bore. And how the slide is assembled with the new safety. They were selling frames earlier this month for 15$. Too bad shipping and FFL tanked the deal for me

On mine, I had to do some fitting between the safety hand the grip panel. The importer didn't do a particularly good job, and the panel would interfere with the safety, usually half-way through a magazine, pushing the safety back "on".