PDA

View Full Version : Sourcing black powder

Pb2au
06-08-2013, 10:28 PM
I'm located in SW Ohio, and I have recently discovered that my usual sources of black powder no longer carry the stuff.
I've seen a couple of sources on the web for ordering it, but I was wondering if there was somewhere local-ish that I could go to. I live just south of Dayon.
Any help will be appreciated

farmallcrew
06-09-2013, 10:36 AM
if you have gun shows around you, check there. last weekend i was at a show 2 hrs away from me. and i scored 3lbs of FFFg for $27.00. my jaw hit the floor when i saw his price.

Fly
06-09-2013, 11:34 AM
Yea gun shows are the place to find it locally.What has happened I was told by my gun dealer is this.
Insurance is just to pricey for them to carry it.It comes down from fireprotection.Even though it must
be stored in fireproof locker, the insurance cost most more than they make from selling it.

Fly

mooman76
06-09-2013, 12:03 PM
I never see it at gun shows here but I don't go too much any more. Too crowded, too many rude people, and cost too much to get in.

fouronesix
06-09-2013, 12:28 PM
lead2gold,

If all else fails and you get tired of spending time and money trying to chase down BP on the cheap locally, give Powder Inc a call. Send them a release statement, get together with a bud or two and order 10 pounds, mix or match granulations if you like. About $17-18 per pound shipped to your door.

mooman76
06-09-2013, 01:16 PM
You can even order as little as 5# at a not bad price. BP lasts pretty much forever.

starmac
06-09-2013, 01:49 PM
At the local gun show, the vendors have to leave black powder outside in their vehicle.
Is there any muzzle loader clubs or associations close to you, if so they will know someone that deals in real black.

wgr
06-09-2013, 01:57 PM
join the NMLRA and go to friendship and buy it. get some buds to go in on it and buy what you like up to 50lb.have to get it during one of the shoots

Baron von Trollwhack
06-09-2013, 02:09 PM
7000 grains in a pound. 65 grain charge in several pieces. 107 shots per pound by simple math. That ain't forever if you are a shooter.
Less than a month for a pound for many actually. The 32s take a 30 grain charge, thats 233 shots in a can if none is spilled. 15 events a year@ roughly 40 shots per..... lotta powder + practice and squirrels & deer. Shotgunners use even more. Ask the Buffalo gun shooters how much they keep on hand for a surprise.

BUY IN BULK to split with your shooting buddies. Store in an old cooler to moderate temperature changes in your garage, shed, basement, or similar. Don't get caught short by gun grabbers. I almost croaked when I saw that Boston explosion knowing immediately it was BP, albeit cheap chinese.

PROPERLY STORED, BL lasts a long, long time.

BvT

wgr
06-09-2013, 04:26 PM
black powder will last for years and years

Fly
06-09-2013, 04:37 PM
Yea since I got this 1863 sharps, I shoot up a lot more powder than my muzzle loaders.
Just more shooting.
Fly

gandydancer
06-09-2013, 05:03 PM
I had some in the small mouth cans goex 3 f from 1933 I used up in 1976 worked just fine. I now have some from 1993 2f 3f & cartridge that is just fine. been sealed up in a steel safe all these years. powder inc. 25 lbs works out to $14.90 per pound delivered to your door. Maine powder house never answered my emails. powder inc was great.

Pb2au
06-09-2013, 05:45 PM
Thanks for the info everyone

Fly
06-09-2013, 06:00 PM
One more thing our friend, make your own, great link above.

Fly

10 ga
06-09-2013, 06:23 PM
Make contact with some re-enactors. Guys that do the "Great War of Northern Aggression" to Revolution to colonial period stuff have access to BP at their events. They are good fellows to know and the guys here usually will get ya some powder. I always try to go by "Back Creek" when I'm in Winchester VA area and a shoot is on and they have BP in about all the types and makes. You should see how much goes out when they are having an artillery shoot, of course it's cannon grade.

retread
06-09-2013, 08:22 PM
Graf & Sons has BP in stock. Check their website.

http://www.grafs.com/

Maven
06-10-2013, 11:33 AM
Also check out this guy: http://addictedtoblackpowder.com/index.html His prices, selection, and service are excellent; and he may be close enough to you to make a visit worthwhile.

Boz330
06-10-2013, 01:03 PM
Deer Creek over in Waldron IN off of I-74. Probably about an hour drive for you each way. And their prices use to be the best of any although I don't think that is the case since it has changed hands. I use to drive up there to get mine.

Bob

GREENCOUNTYPETE
06-14-2013, 04:42 PM
Also check out this guy: http://addictedtoblackpowder.com/index.html His prices, selection, and service are excellent; and he may be close enough to you to make a visit worthwhile.

this is were i go , Jon and his family is good people

if you go visit , the John Deere historical site and birth place of Ronald Reagen are close by.

Pb2au
09-14-2013, 01:06 AM
Update,
Finally got over to Deer Creek products. Happily walked away with four pounds of powder. So, if anyone near to them needs powder, they told me they have about 1000# left in stock, but have another load coming in next week.
Also, if possible, call a day ahead. They do not keep the powder stored in the shop, so have to pull it out of the storage site.