PDA

View Full Version : 500 jrh loads

Bignutt
06-08-2013, 10:09 PM
what are anyone's suggestions for an all around load for this cartridge. I have the 440 lfn mold from lbt and a 5.5 in magnum research pistol. Generally hunt deer but would like to know how much difference there is between lighter loads and full house loads as far as drop at a 100. Also does anyone have any experience with this cartridge past 100 with the 440 lfn bullet? I am considering the ultra dot sight that I have seen discussed on this site but kind of like the open sight feel for just knocking around.

Clay M
06-08-2013, 10:33 PM
I called Jack Hunington about the brass,and he is out of it.He is trying to work something out with Hornady.I would be interested in loading info as well.

Clay M
06-09-2013, 08:44 AM
I think out to one hundred yards you will be able to do anything you need with the JRH. It is beyond that where the 500 S&W magnum will take over with trajectory and power.
I want to be able to shoot the JRH cases in my X frame Smith,because I don't need all the power of the 500 magnum.The smaller case capacity will be better for reduced loads,especially with the ball powders.

44man
06-09-2013, 08:47 AM
7305373052I made my own 440 gr PB mold. I use 29.5 gr of 296 with the Fed 155 primer. 1350 fps. It has done down to 1/2" at 100 yards from my BFR. I use an Ultra Dot, straight 4 minute dot, 30mm.
A different boolit should be worked with loads just in case.
I sight 1" high at 50 yards and it drops a few inches at 100. I have not gone to 200 yet but I expect about an 18" drop.
The gun will not shoot lighter loads with any accuracy but a good load of HS-6 might work. I would reduce boolit weight for a lighter load to see what it does. I won't change because of the accuracy I get.
I have shot a 400 gr that shoots well with the same load.
I am a stick in the mud once I find a load, it never changes---ever. I have one notation in my load book. Recoil be damned!
I put an old scope on mine before I could afford the Ultra Dot. I set 5 shotgun shells on their sides at 50 yards and shot all five in their bases with 5 shots. I centered all 3/4" bases but lost a few in the weeds. Then a group at 50 yards with the Ultra Dot.