PDA

View Full Version : Contender...I'm in!

DeanWinchester
06-08-2013, 08:18 PM
I've been wanting to play this game for years. I finally got my ticket into the park!

Here she be! Bought new by a friend and mentor in 1979, it's had less than a box run through it since it was bought.
http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd371/Reloadingfool/DSC02898_zps4c742bbf.jpg (http://s1216.photobucket.com/user/Reloadingfool/media/DSC02898_zps4c742bbf.jpg.html)

My google skills suck, anyone know the twist rate on these things? I have an awesome 235g plain base that would be a lot of fun. Probably won't stabilize it. One way to find out! I've got so many different boolits to try in this I'll be busy for the rest of the year!!!

Anyone wanna share what they know about them, I'm all ears.
Do I understand correctly that G2 barrels swap but the grip will not?

williamwaco
06-08-2013, 08:39 PM
I've been wanting to play this game for years. I finally got my ticket into the park!

Here she be! Bought new by a friend and mentor in 1979, it's had less than a box run through it since it was bought.
http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd371/Reloadingfool/DSC02898_zps4c742bbf.jpg (http://s1216.photobucket.com/user/Reloadingfool/media/DSC02898_zps4c742bbf.jpg.html)

My google skills suck, anyone know the twist rate on these things? I have an awesome 235g plain base that would be a lot of fun. Probably won't stabilize it. One way to find out! I've got so many different boolits to try in this I'll be busy for the rest of the year!!!

Anyone wanna share what they know about them, I'm all ears.
Do I understand correctly that G2 barrels swap but the grip will not?

No, I am afraid you do not understand correctly.

G2 barrels will most decidedly not work on that frame.

I bought one of them a while back.
I have six G2 barrels. Not one of the will fit the older frame.

kbstenberg
06-08-2013, 08:56 PM
William Why won't a G2 barrel fit a G1 frame?

DeanWinchester
06-08-2013, 09:27 PM
Okay. I knew encore and contender wouldn't swap but I've read several sources saying the contenders will swap.

What are the differences?

I snagged this from Wikipedia. It says the g1 and g2 barrels change.

The original Contender, now known as the generation one (G1) Contender, was replaced by the G2 Contender soon after the Encore came out. The G2 Contender is essentially dimensionally the same as the original Contender, but uses an Encore style trigger group. Due to the changes in the trigger mechanism, and to differences in the angle of the grip relative to the boreline of the gun, the buttstocks and pistol grips are different between the G1 and G2 Contenders and will not interchange. The G2, though, uses essentially the same barrels and fore-ends as the original Contender[5] and barrels will interchange, with the only two exceptions being the G2 muzzleloading barrels, which will only fit the G2 frame, and the Herrett barrels/fore-ends, which are specific for use only on a G1 frame.[6]
Unlike the original Contender, dry-firing of the G2 Contender is possible only in the center (safe) hammer position, located on the hammer between the centerfire and rimfire positions. Also, unlike the original Contender, the break-action does not need to be opened/closed (cycled) to practice dry-firing, provided the hammer is lowered between dry firing "shots". The adjustability of G2 Contender triggers is also slightly different from the original G1 Contender.

kenyerian
06-08-2013, 10:04 PM
Most of the problems are with the pre easy open frame and the barrels of newer vintage. The older ones have a one piece locking bolt and the new ones ( newer easy open g-1's and G-2's have a two piece locking bolt. Any barrel will fit any frame but you might have functioning issues mostly caused by the fit of the locking bolt. The contender in the above picture is not an easy open. The armor alloy frame's work best with armor alloy barrels. Stainless and blued models are pretty much interchangeable

kbstenberg
06-08-2013, 10:13 PM
Thats good because my frame is the easy open. But I am having prob. with a FTF.

kenyerian
06-08-2013, 10:28 PM
This happens when the locking bolt is not reaching far enough into the frame to disconnect the interlock safety. You pull the trigger, but the interlock bar just doesn't drop down enough for the hammer to make contact with the firing pin. This can happen with a G2 barrel on a fairly late original frame . The fix is some judicious filing and stoning on the locking bolt so it can squeeze a bit farther back into the frame. Be very careful and go slow.
Mike Bellm has some good articles on barrel fit on his web page. All contender owners will enjoy his writings. http://www.lasc.us/ArticlesBellm.htm

FLHTC
06-09-2013, 10:50 AM
I have a type II 357 mag that i shoot on my G2 frames. They work fine. The locking lugs often need to be changed but other than that, all the Contender barrels will work on the G2 frames except the Armour Alloy II's.

Shooter6br
06-09-2013, 11:12 AM
Maybe all those years of clarinet playing made strong hand because I have 2 Contenders non "easy open" one never fired that I open no problems.....24 year old son cant ....

Spokerider
06-09-2013, 12:57 PM
Well, there is lots of reading on this site as well as others on contenders, all about them, barrel and frame combo's, what fits and what doesn't, and yes, problems that arise with these guns. Plan on fine tuning and fiddling around with these things, replacing hammer springs and such. Each frame and barrel combo has different frame gap and headspace, which may be a problem for you to solve or it may not be. They are a reloaders dream however, as you can customize your loads for your exact gun.

ubetcha
06-09-2013, 01:40 PM
What caliper?

DeanWinchester
06-09-2013, 01:44 PM
What caliper?

30/30

NoZombies
06-09-2013, 03:33 PM
I have a G2 and an early contender (non easy open, 4 digit serial) and have had no problem with exchanging barrels between the two. I don't have that many barrels, but so far, no issues.

ubetcha
06-09-2013, 09:28 PM
Nice shooter.I have a 14" 30-30 and load with 18gr Sr4759 and a 165gr RCBS silhouette. Very fun to shoot.My favorite and shoot IHMSA silhouettes with it.

flipajig
06-09-2013, 10:52 PM
I have a G-2 frame and all my barrels are a super 14 and all my barrels interchange with out a issue. I read some where that some of the older barrels with the single locking lug can have problems locking up and fireing
If I remember right it's a easy fix by replacing the locking lug with a split one.
Flip

uscra112
06-10-2013, 02:44 AM
Thats good because my frame is the easy open. But I am having prob. with a FTF.

If you've got a Gen 1 the FTF issue can also be the spring that drives the hammer block slide. Mine drove me crazy until I took that spring out and stretched it about 20% to get more preload.

Jeff Michel
06-10-2013, 06:09 AM
You'll like that 30-30, I have a 14" I use for Ground hogs. 311410 with a modest charge of Herco. There is a GB for a 311410 that is GC. I'm anxious to try that one, should be able to push that a bit faster.

earthling121757
06-10-2013, 11:28 AM
http://www.tcarms.com/firearms/chart_contender.php

That should answer the OP's question about twist rate...

NVScouter
06-10-2013, 05:33 PM
That stick grip was my first one. You will change that *** out after your first box of hot loads. The larger better shaped solid or solid e/rubber backstrap are my favorite over the all rubber designs.

My first TC was like yours with a 10: octagon 30-30 barrel....ouch!