PDA

View Full Version : Dental Wax

Hud
09-23-2007, 08:07 PM
Is Dental wax useful in making lubes? I did a search but may not have typed in the right words. Anyway I didn't find anything. Any help or advice! Thanks.

Hud

NuJudge
09-24-2007, 05:28 AM
It looks a lot like the stuff that used to be referred to as 'soft gas checks.' I have not gotten around to trying it with plain-based bullets to see if it lets me run them faster.

CDD

Hud
09-24-2007, 06:12 PM
CDD

Yes, there's some in sheets (samples) and also the type that is used to form impressions for relining or making false teeth. He had a half truck load (pickup) of the stuff and said he was going to throw it away. I don't know if it's all the same stuff or not. Thought I'd ask here before I made a comitment to take it. Most of it has been used for impressions. It's tacky and feels like semi soft beeswax. Just don't know about the lube qualities of the wax.

Hud

kodiak1
09-24-2007, 10:48 PM
Any time I had impressions taken I was under the understanding that it was Bees
Wax. Maybe they have just been pullin my leg.
Ken.

Dale53
09-25-2007, 12:09 AM
As far as I can tell, the "Soft Gas Checks" and dental wax are the same. My son is a dentist and his dental wax and some Soft Gas Checks that I bought look exactly the same in every way.

I used to have a chemist friend who had access to a gas chromatograph but never had an opportunity to run a lab check on this stuff. I have not used it (either type) but there are those that swear by it (soft gas checks).

Dale53

357maximum
09-25-2007, 12:25 AM
oil rich microcrystalline wax, very useful in boolit lube, i would take all you can get.

DanM
09-25-2007, 02:26 PM
Here are linls to two dental wax suppliers:

http://www.2spi.com/catalog/knives/cavex-set-up-dental-wax-sh.shtml
http://www.yates-motloid.com/store/category.cgi?item=47015

Haven't ordered from either. I did use the 'soft gas check' product with good success. Looks exactly like the wax sheets from these dental suppliers. Lately I have been making my own by pouring beeswax over foil. Seems to work as well or better than the commercial product.
BTW....You use this stuff to make 'cookies'. Press sheet down over case mouth right before seating boolit. Cuts a little cookie wad that sets right against base of boolit. Works for me.

Ricochet
09-25-2007, 03:45 PM
It's getting close to Halloween. We'll probably see the old wax lips for sale soon.

Lloyd Smale
09-25-2007, 04:42 PM
according to the msds sheet on the second sight its paraphin based wax not beeswax.