PDA

View Full Version : .44 cal wads, when you can't find them

farmallcrew
06-08-2013, 07:17 PM
I have some lubed wads for 44 cal for my revolver. When they run out, it only costs 10.00 for 50 of them,but in this day and age 10.00 can be used else where.

Are any of you guys coming up with making your own wads?

I know for my 45 and 50 cal single shot pistols, ill use old tee shirts and lube them with something, but i have a lot of lubed patches for them as of right now.

repawn
06-08-2013, 07:31 PM
Hi - I make my own wads using durofelt, a hole punch and a wax mixture which contains beeswax, olive oil and paraffin wax - cut out the rounds of felt , melt a few tablespoons of wax in a pan - toss in the felt and stir until coated - pour into a storage container - sometimes I dust with corneal so they don't stick. Been using those for my .36 cap'n ball. I figure it cost me maybe 15 for something like 3000 so far

mainiac
06-08-2013, 09:56 PM
I found some 1/8 inch pure wool felt at joannes fabric,,not alot of money.I use a 45 colt case to punch out the wads,and nuke them in a plastic bag,with lube.WAY cheaper then store bought wads!

Nobade
06-08-2013, 10:08 PM
I also get felt from Durofelt. $20 gets you a supply that lasts many years. Just tell her what you're doing and she'll set you up. I punch them out with a Fred Cornell press mounted wad punch, and dip them in molten lube. Mutton tallow, beeswax, and gulf wax. Let them dry on wax paper and they work far better than store bought, and are dirt cheap. I also use them under the boolit in boolit firing muzzleloaders.

-Nobade

fouronesix
06-08-2013, 10:32 PM
+3 on Durofelt. Ask for seconds if available in a dense grade in whatever thickness you are used to. Use a 44 or 45 cal punch.
http://www.durofelt.com/products.html

farmallcrew
06-09-2013, 08:02 AM
Like i said i have some wads right now that are no lubed. Im going to give them a try, i know that the lubed ones will work a lot nicer. I checked out Durofelt, good prices. All i need to do is get a punch and see about lube making material, if i want to go the lubed way.

Thanks guys!!!!!! Any other ideas, i love to chit chat.

Driver man
06-09-2013, 08:06 AM
I dont use wads at all. I put semalina over the powder then the ball and then grease over the ball. Have done it that way for years. Have never used a wad ever. Accuracy very good, barrel never fowls up.