PDA

View Full Version : WC844 Pulldown

dale2242
06-08-2013, 03:35 PM
I am getting inconsistent results working up a load in my 223 with Jacketed bullets with this powder.
I am using standard small rifle primers.
I have been chronographing all my loads and am getting quite a spred in velocities.
Does military 5.56 ammo use a magnum primer? I`m thinking I may need a magnum primer as the loading manuals seem to recommend them for ball powders.
Anyone have experience with this powder?
Any thoughts on this matter?.......dale

Jailer
06-08-2013, 05:10 PM
I've used a bit of it and had great results with it. I got mine from Wideners a while back.

You shouldn't need a magnum primer with this powder. I'd look more to inconsistent neck tension as the culprit.

felix
06-08-2013, 05:12 PM
A very versatile powder, Dale, for all of our 30-45 grain case sizes. Play with primers to hone in your best load to date that use normal primers. ... felix

Jailer above is correct also. The load must be good enough before playing with primers. ... felix

texassako
06-08-2013, 07:03 PM
I like using WC844 in my Remington Model 8s, and they have all been neck turned and get a decent crimp. I had odd results when I had mixed headstamps of .30 Remington converted into .25 Remington and some true .25 Remington brass until I realized I had different thicknesses in the necks. It was uneven neck tension as listed above and it also affected the crimp(thicker dug in more along with more tension).

medalguy
06-08-2013, 11:25 PM
I've used about 24 pounds of this powder with great results. As stated, be sure the neck tension is good by pushing down on a loaded bullet point to see if it will move. It should not, with about all the pressure you can exert with one hand. I also use a Lee FCD in the last stage of my Dillon press. Also, I use Wolf 556 primers. Not a magnum primer but a harder cup.