PDA

View Full Version : Ruger mk ll Target bull purchase

superior
06-08-2013, 10:25 AM
Yesterday, I bought a blue Ruger mkll
with what appears to be a 5 or 6" bbl.
if I measure from the entrance to the chamber, it measures 6".
I'm not sure which size it's called. The gun is in like new condition and wasn't fired very much. When I got home with it, I shot groups from the sitting position at 15 yards and was able to keep most shots within a half inch using Federal champions. Remington golden bullets required a total readjustment of the rear sight and didn't shoot nearly as well. I paid $285 for it to the wife of an acquaintance who passed away from a massive heart attack. She had several guns of his up for sale, and I just agreed to pay her what he paid new in 2004. I just figured that at today's prices, I wouldn't get hurt, even though I hadn't actually fired it. I'm still curious as to the actual bbl size and I welcome any input on the merits of the pistol. I've always toyed with the idea of a pistol that can be used with pin point accuracy. Ammo suggestions will be appreciated also.

Superior

historicfirearms
06-08-2013, 10:33 AM
I had a bull barrel mk2 and it was very accurate. One day a friend and I were at the range having a little friendly competition. I wasn't shooting very well and was a little disappointed. I cleaned the bore good and the pistol started shooting great again. Later I tried a different brand of ammo and accuracy dropped off immediately. Switched back to the frat ammo, and still no accuracy. I cleaned the barrel again and accuracy was top notch again. When I stuck to one brand, everything was fine. When switching, a good barrel cleaning was in order before it would shoot again.

44man
06-08-2013, 11:33 AM
All .22 ammo today will drive you nuts. The Ruger is one of the best ever made, it is NOT picky for ammo, it is just the ammo itself. .22 production keeps changing to save money and older rounds have been made into junk.
How the great Ruger will shoot is going to be what .22's you get. CCI Blue tags are the best for normal rounds but there are better. And there are some so bad the gun will never shoot.
This is what I got with a Ruger at 25 yards with good ammo. I missed the last shot from not believing I was getting one hole, brain dead!72986
So many great .22 autos but it is the ammo guys.

Clay M
06-08-2013, 11:43 AM
I have a Ruger MKII slabside In 6 7/8" barrel. I have tried all types of ammo. The best I have found is the Federal Gold Medal Match. Not cheap and the ammo I have was made about fifteen years ago.I can hit the face of a twenty gauge shotgun shell at 50 yds from a bench.

HeavyMetal
06-08-2013, 12:21 PM
I believe they call that a T512 because it is a 5 1/2 inch barrel, I had a Centenial that I let get away in a Trade for a Camero made good money a few years later on the Camero it was a 69, but still wish I had the T512 back.

Currently have Two Rugers in house, a MarkII 6 7/8 and a Mark I that I customized the snot out of.

Ya did good on the price

superior
06-08-2013, 02:07 PM
Could it be a six inch?

sagamore-one
06-08-2013, 03:25 PM
My 512 prefers Federal Auto Match.

country gent
06-08-2013, 03:50 PM
I have one of the 22/45 rugers with the 8" slabed barrel. Easily one of the most accurate pistols I own. At our clubs pistol range from a makeshift table ( its no wheres near a bench) I have out shot many guys with 22 sporter rifles. At 25 yds and good ammo it will put 10 rds inside a dime. Great pistol and a joy for hunting squirrels. Only thing Ive done to it is a trigger job. Trigger is now 2 lbs. But is a fun pistol to use.

Worn_Holster
06-09-2013, 12:15 AM
I got this 1950 2nd year production Ruger Standard from my dad. The red eagle is chipping a bit. It does still shoot remarkably well.
http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab52/myHKiron/RugerStandard_zps4a380865.jpg

Potsy
06-09-2013, 12:23 AM
I bought a 5-1/2" Mk III back in early 2012. I've not played with it a whole lot. Just enough to know that it's a good shooter.
With a decent trigger (Volquartsen probably, the stock one is TERRIBLE) and good ammo, it will be a great shooter.
I've shot Mk I's II's and III's with most of the various barrel and frame options, and I've yet to see one that wouldn't shoot a lot better than I could.

contender1
06-09-2013, 10:47 AM
superior,, you got a nice gun at a very fair price.
I would agree that the barrel is most likely a 5-1/2" one. Ruger didn't make a 6" bull barreled MKII like you described. Model is most likely KMK-512. If you want the approximate year of mfg,, post the serial number, (or part of it) such as; 213-123XX & I will look in my RENE & tell ya when it was made.

Three-Fifty-Seven
06-09-2013, 11:16 AM
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s220/ShawnVT/Guns/Ruger%20Mark%20II/FirstDay.jpg (http://s153.photobucket.com/user/ShawnVT/media/Guns/Ruger%20Mark%20II/FirstDay.jpg.html)

Petrol & Powder
06-09-2013, 12:57 PM
I've had several Ruger Mk II's over the years and they are GREAT .22 pistols. They shoot better than I can! They are simple, durable, reliable and a good value in my opinion. I've shoot some stock and modified others with aftermarket hammers/sears. The modifications can make good triggers even better but there's really nothing bad about the stock trigger. From a rest, the standard barrel models shoot as good as the bull barrel but I like the muzzle heavy feel of the bull barrel when shooting from an unsupported position. I once had an early bull barrel Mark II that would shoot better than some .22 rifles! (sold that one like an idiot) The last one I owned was a slab-side bull barrel competition model and I regret selling that one. Bill Ruger put some great engineering into that pistol and when you take one apart you begin to understand the strength of that simple design. There's a lot more to that design than most people know.
I've shot and worked on Browning Buckmark's, Colt Woodsman's and other .22 pistols. Browning, Colt and S&W made good .22 pistols but I'd take the Ruger Mark II over those pistols in terms of value. You've got a good .22 and I hope you enjoy it for years to come.

Petrol & Powder
06-09-2013, 01:19 PM
As for the ammo question I've found that with all .22 rimfire you have to find what works for your gun. Right now the ammo situation is crazy but when things calm down I'd recommend buying single boxes of different types/makes of .22s and shooting samples from each. When it comes to accuracy, .22 rimfires are particularly sensitive to brands and sometimes even lot numbers. Shoot samples from a rest at a consistent range and record the results. I would fire a few rounds at the beginning of the session from a clean bore before I starting recording groups but I would not clean the bore between groups. When you find some thing that works well for your gun, go buy a large amount of that same ammunition. If possible, get the same lot numbers on all of it.
I have a .22 rifle that shoots one type ammunition far better than anything else. The effect is not as pronounced in a pistol but there are still differences that can be exploited by research. Besides learning what works best for you - shooting a lot of ammo is FUN.

superior
06-10-2013, 09:34 AM
Ty all for the replies. I'm sure it's a 5.5" now. Yesterday, with the help of a YouTube video, I field stripped/ cleaned it. And scrubbed the bore from the breech end. Could the previous owner have hurt the accuracy if he cleaned it from the muzzle? If so, how can I identify signs of crown wear?

lka
06-10-2013, 09:38 AM
I have a mark I and love it :D

Shedhunter
06-10-2013, 10:30 AM
My Ruger .22 pistols will eat anything and are more accurate than I can shoot them. Measure the barrel length from the chamber to end of barrel.

Clay M
06-10-2013, 12:33 PM
. Could the previous owner have hurt the accuracy if he cleaned it from the muzzle? If so, how can I identify signs of crown wear?

Possible, but doubtful.I rarely clean the barrel of my .22's only the action and chamber area.

Petrol & Powder
06-10-2013, 06:28 PM
Ty all for the replies. I'm sure it's a 5.5" now. Yesterday, with the help of a YouTube video, I field stripped/ cleaned it. And scrubbed the bore from the breech end. Could the previous owner have hurt the accuracy if he cleaned it from the muzzle? If so, how can I identify signs of crown wear?

Yes, the bore should be cleaned from the breach but it is likely fine. I would shoot is some and get a feel for it before I started "fixing" it. You've got a good pistol there, enjoy it!

robpete
06-10-2013, 06:47 PM
I have a Ruger MKII slabside In 6 7/8" barrel. I have tried all types of ammo. The best I have found is the Federal Gold Medal Match. Not cheap and the ammo I have was made about fifteen years ago.I can hit the face of a twenty gauge shotgun shell at 50 yds from a bench.

try plain old CCI Blazer. I've tested nearly everything that I could get my hands on over the years. My slabside comp just eats it up. I'm not saying that it's more accurate than the higher end match grade ammo out there, but it's a small fraction of their cost and NEARLY as accurate.

superior
06-11-2013, 12:45 PM
Well, it seems like it likes of all things, yellow jackets !
I don't get it. They shot consistently well. I just hope that after field/ stripping it again last night, that I can find another type it likes from what I have to work with. I have cci mini mags, rem t- bolts, federal champion, rem vipers, rem target, fed bulk pack ( which I haven't tried), plain old rem. hi velocity 40gr , rem gold bulk. I field/ stripped and ran a copper brush through the bbl about 10 times last night, and I hope that makes a difference.