PDA

View Full Version : Drums?

mrblue
06-08-2013, 02:33 AM
So just wondering here, How many pounds of wheel wights would fit in oh I dunno a 55 gal drum? Cause I happened to come accross just that at a scrap yard. Sounds about like 65 cents a poundish. How many pounds would fit in a 4 gal bucket or 5. No way I could transport the barrel I would have to buy a bucket full each week......did i mention there are two barrels full?

fcvan
06-08-2013, 03:28 AM
A five gallon bucket of wheel weights usually weighed about 125 and yielded around 100 pounds after smelting and removing the clips. Range scrap was usually a much higher yield. A full drum would conceivably weigh upwards of 1300 pounds. At .60 per pound your going to be at least $800 for the drum with about 1100 pounds of smelted alloy. You can always sell back the steel clips and recover some of your costs. If the yard will let you buy a bucket at a time you can spread the cost over time. Otherwise, get a bunch of buckets and transfer because if you don't have equipment to load and unload a full barrel your going to have to nibble at it.

ku4hx
06-08-2013, 05:40 AM
If you consider 125 pounds of wheel weights per 5 gallon bucket, 11 such buckets in a drum, that would be 11 x 125 or about 1,375 pounds of weights in a 55 gallon drum. At $.65 per pound to purchase that would cost you about $894 if the drum is free.

I'd buy it and transfer weights to my truck in small batches. But that's always been easier to say than do. Even at fifty pounds per move that's almost thirty transfers. Do they deliver?

bear67
06-08-2013, 09:31 AM
I smelted a level full steel 55 gallon barrel of mixed WWs a year or so ago and across the scales it weighed 1277#. I did a half barrel a couple months ago and it weighed 656. Hard to pick up a full barrel with forklift unless it is on a pallet--don't ask how I know.

gefiltephish
06-08-2013, 10:24 AM
...Hard to pick up a full barrel with forklift unless it is on a pallet--don't ask how I know.

Easy. Tip the barrel back far enough with forks to place 2x under drum (just near the edge), let down, lift away.

MT Gianni
06-08-2013, 11:21 PM
Easy. Tip the barrel back far enough with forks to place 2x under drum (just near the edge), let down, lift away.

It does not let you see if they are a ww or anything else though.