PDA

View Full Version : promo powder with federal plastic hull

deepdarkwaters
06-07-2013, 11:40 PM
needing some help with promo powder after about 17 years im reloading for shotgun again granted and the only powder i can find is promo the alliant tech told me i could use promo for any load that has red dot powder .but promo load data has the fed gold medal hull but only has up to a 1 oz shot for plastic but if i had the fed paper hull it has the 1 1/8 so just wanting to know if you us promo as a substitute for reddot i. its the only powder i can find around tulsa that isnt over priced 10$ a pound im useing fed field and range hulls with waa12 wads 1 1/8 with 23 gr unique but im about out of powder

Johnch
06-08-2013, 03:22 PM
Promo is weight for weight the same as Red Dot
Not as clean
But it works and it's cheap

John

dverna
06-08-2013, 06:46 PM
About all I use is Promo. I use it in Federal hulls as well as AA's and STS's. As stated, you use it the same as Red Dot but it will need a different bushing as it has a different density. But it performs like RD grain for grain.

It is the best bang for the buck out there and it WORKS!!! I shot nearly a 98 average in Trap singles with it last year.

newcastter
06-08-2013, 07:22 PM
I use promo for everything, 9mm 40 cal 45acp .38 special. I also load my trap loads with promo, I shoot around 100 rounds a week to. ATTENTION WAA12 wad will not work well with that hull as it is made for tapered hull and fed plastic is a straight walled hull and you will lose pressure...bad thing...I would suggest the claybuster CB6118-12 for 1-1/8oz and CB6100-12 for 7/8 or 1oz.
I prefer those wads as they are a knock off of the WAA12 but made for straight walled hulls. I use 20gr of promo for 7/8 and 1oz and 19gr for 1-1/8oz but I rarely shoot anything but 7/8 for trap and they are fast and beat the hell out of the birds

deepdarkwaters
06-09-2013, 02:09 AM
Thanks for the reply one ? Have you all ran in to a prob with the volume if its the same grain for grain but promo being denser it would let the wad go down more just a thought I had and the hulls I'm using are fed field and range the tech told me to use fed gold load data

dverna
06-09-2013, 08:15 AM
Thanks for the reply one ? Have you all ran in to a prob with the volume if its the same grain for grain but promo being denser it would let the wad go down more just a thought I had and the hulls I'm using are fed field and range the tech told me to use fed gold load data

The difference is density is enough to effect bushing drops but has no appreciable effect on wad height or crimp quality. My crimps (Ponsness-Warren) look as good as factory.

Don Verna

newcastter
06-09-2013, 05:58 PM
Yes grain for grain Promo will load like Red Dot so use can use Red Dot load date, the only difference is if you are using a bushing chart DO NOT rely on the Red Dot powder drop.
You can use it for a rough idea to get close, for instense on my M bushing for Posness Warren it shows it will drop 19.9 grains of Red Dot but when I use it with Promo it drops exactly 22.0 gr.
Just use a scale to verify your powder charge being dropped, other than that whatever a load calls for in Red Dot use that same data for Promo, just work up to your load.

deepdarkwaters
06-09-2013, 11:26 PM
thanks again everyone for the help now that im older i go by the books more that i did 17 years go when i was in school back then i looked up a load and put it in what ever hull we could find out in the field some was right and some had shot running out im lucky we didnt kill are selfs but i always stayed to the low side of the load data but thank you all again

Garyshome
06-14-2013, 11:31 AM
Good info just got some promo at a good price, will try it out soon!

newcastter
08-05-2013, 11:11 PM
Good info just got some promo at a good price, will try it out soon!

So how did you make out?