PDA

View Full Version : Rusty saeco pot.

bobkk
06-07-2013, 08:12 PM
I bought a Saeco lead pot from my neighbor. It's caked inside with what looks like rust. Used a wire brush still some left in it. Any good way to clean it. Don't know if the rust will get into the lead or not. Guess I'll have to cast some bullets to find out.

JRLesan
06-07-2013, 08:22 PM
My old Lee production pot used to collect rust and crust between casting sessions before spray mold release became available. I would run it thru my bead blast cabinet which cleaned it up nicely. Before I made the cabinet, I'd chuck a 3" diameter wire wheel in the drill press which did an OK job. The cabinet was much quicker, though.

oneokie
06-07-2013, 08:34 PM
Fill it up with vinegar and let it sit overnight. Dump the vinegar, fill with water and plug it in and boil the water. Dump the water and rinse. Fill with lead and go. Use sawdust as flux and it will keep the rust at bay.

Vinne
06-08-2013, 09:28 PM
I bought a Saeco lead pot from my neighbor. It's caked inside with what looks like rust. Used a wire brush still some left in it. Any good way to clean it. Don't know if the rust will get into the lead or not. Guess I'll have to cast some bullets to find out.

Mine is in very bad shape. I sat in salt water for weeks and looks terrible. I did like JR did and ran a brass brush in it to remove as much of the rust out as I could. Have to rebuild the thing as the control fell apart and the wiring is shot!! Still have some pitting but am waiting for a new temp control to fire it up. Wish you luck with yours.

Iron Mike Golf
06-09-2013, 09:36 PM
If you have to break it all the way down anyways, an overnight soak in EvapoRust will take care of the rust in the pits.