PDA

View Full Version : purchasing advise needed

uncle joe
06-07-2013, 05:48 PM
I have been trying to get in touch with someone locally (75m) that had some reloading equipment and machine shop stuff for sale. Finally through a friend of a friend, I found who they were and went to look. This persons brother died and left all this shop and reloading equipment. A friend from work and myself went to look, this little old (81) yo lady took us out to the shop to search and behold, there is a loading bench full of stuff and shelves and boxes and tons of stuff. My heart sunk when she told me it was an all or nothing deal. $3,300 for all. I want to get it but there is a lot I will not need. Here is a partial list.
1 rcbs press-still in box.
1 lyman turret press with at least 1 extra turret
about 15 or so 1 lb cans of various powders
cases of plastic ammo boxes
reloading books
2 mec shotshell loaders
several boxes of empty shells
wads
shot
2 drawers layered with jword bullets best guess about 80 or 90 boxes.
2 electronic powder dispensers
2 tumblers
a case media seperator
about 23 sets of dies-mostly lee
several boxes of various brass cases
a tipton gun vise
shot shell resizer
a dial indicator height gauge for case length
1 lyman powder measure
and likely more, I didn't dig very deep yesterday. I am considering going back to dig a bit more and maybe offer a little less for it since I really don't need it all and would have to work to recoup some of the investment.
any and all advise will be listened to
thanks
UJ

dbosman
06-07-2013, 05:59 PM
I see a couple of grand in used stuff - if one had a use for the majority of it. Odds are a friend or child took a look at new prices and took 2/3s as an asking price. Individually, especially on eBay, it would bring a lot more. As a lot at an estate auction -I- might go $1500 if all looked nearly new. Others will give their opinions.

What else was in the shop? One really good tool could make it all worth while.

uncle joe
06-07-2013, 06:05 PM
well we were late because of connection problems. She has already sold an enco mill and a newer lathe. There is an small old lathe there a couple of welders and a good many hand tools. There is a late 70's or early 80's BMW r65 that is in the best shape I've ever seen a motorcycle that old in. She wants $2900 for it. I am holding out for when she starts selling the guns.