PDA

View Full Version : Funnel Cakes

gspgundog
06-07-2013, 04:26 PM
One of the joys of summer is all the fest and the funnel cakes. The ones I am talking about come from a batter that is poured into hot oil in larger and larger circles until about the size of a dinner plate then covered with powdered suger. Does anyone know the recipe for the batter?

dbosman
06-07-2013, 06:22 PM
There are a lot of recipes, with minor variations, if you Google funnel cake batter
In my experience, convenience and consistency dictates traveling vendors rely on commercially packaged product.

Such as;
McCormick Golden Dipt Fry Easy Funnel Cake Batter Mix, 8 oz
Available at Walmart.

sierra1911
06-07-2013, 08:33 PM
Using boxed batter mix is like loading with j-word bullets. Developing your own mix always produces a flavor and texture most suited to your personal taste.

375RUGER
06-09-2013, 08:57 AM
go to www.cooks.com and search for funnel cake, you should find something there to try

MBTcustom
06-09-2013, 09:20 AM
Seriously? Just use pancake mix!
I'll give you our famous Malcolm family pancake/funnel cake recipe.

2 eggs
2 Tb oil
2 cups milk
2 cups flour
1/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
Mix the dry ingredients and make a well in the middle of the bowl.
Add eggs, milk, oil and stir with a whisk until creamy.

Fill a skillet about 1/2" deep with crisco or your choice of oil.

In order to make funnel cakes, fill a 1 cup funnel with batter, using your finger as a stopper. Use your finger to regulate how fast the batter comes out and move in a progressively larger, spiraling motion.

If you use this recipe in anything other than a cast iron skillet, you have committed sin and you will be punished accordingly.

jroc
06-10-2013, 08:57 PM
Several here:
http://www.recipesource.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi?search_string=funnel+cake&filter=off&dir=.%2Fbaked-goods%2Fdesserts%2Fpies

GH1
06-18-2013, 06:33 PM
I just used pancake batter with extra sugar added. Unfortunately, I tried to use a deep fryer rather than a skillet and the batter sunk to the bottom and formed a large ball. It tasted OK but it wasn't a funnel cake, it was more like a donut hole.
GH1:grin:

reloader28
06-19-2013, 09:37 AM
MMMMMM MMMMMMM good.
The only thing better than homemade funnel cakes are homemade deep fried Milky Ways. Maybe cheese curds.
I dont know what the wifes recipe is. I'll have to ask.

Here is one of the wifes recipes:

Heat some oil in a frying pan just enough to float the cake.

2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups milk(you can also do 1/2 french vanilla creamer & 1/2 milk is really good!).

Put in med bowl flour, baking soda & salt. Beat your eggs and milk together than added to dry ingredients. Put the batter into an old squeeze ketchup bottle.

once oil is hot enough to fry squeeze the batter into the pan. once the bottom is golden brown take tongues and flip. remove once it is all golden brown. drain for a few seconds on a paper towel. now for the fun part add whatever you would like as a topping.. Homemade ice cream, powder sugar, powder sugar with chocolate syrup, make it into a strawberry short cake ect.....

I think i might have to have me a funnel cake tonight...:bigsmyl2:

Shiloh
06-22-2013, 04:46 PM
Any boxed or homemade pancake batter works good. I've added almond extract to mine.

Shiloh