PDA

View Full Version : 32 special cast loads and IMR 4320

Doc.Holliday
06-07-2013, 09:51 AM
Good morning; I as well as my powder supplier have run out of Imr 3031. I would like to do some shooting this weekend with my Winchester 94 in 32 special and I do have a pound of IMR 4320 on my shelf. I am shooting the RCBS 32-170 at .323 with a GC and the are weighing about 182 grains + - .
I see this powder in the older manuals for 32 special with 170 grain jacketed bullets but never seen a reference for cast loads.
Has anyone any experience or loads they would like to share with this powder?
It cannot be far from 4064 in burn rate but I seem to remember it developed more pressure.
I have used 4320 with great success in 308 winchester and 250 savage with J bullets.
Any help much appreciated
Respectfully

Doc

Char-Gar
06-07-2013, 10:33 AM
Early on in my reloading I used allot of 4320 at it produced max velocities in medium sized cases. I moved away from it in favor of 4895 and 3031. 4320 has about the same burning rate as old Hercules Hi-Vel.

I think there would be better powders for cast bullet use in the 32 Winchester Special (I like H335), but we are living in times when we have to use what we have or can find. So, I see no reason not to give 4320 a whirl in the 32 WS.

If would start with about 25 grains for around 1,500 fps and work upward going very slow. Or, if you have jacketed bullet data for this powder, cut the charges about 5 grains and see where you want to go.

I have no actual experience with this powder in this round, but this is my thinking on the issue at hand. However, it is your rifle, your powder, your eyes and body, so you are on your own.

Doing this stuff require a goodly amount of common sense and attention to detail and I hope you have them. I do note you say you spend half the year in Mexico, if that is current I might question your good judgment. I live just three miles north of the Rio Grande River and there is no way, I am going to cross it into Mexico..no way!

frnkeore
06-07-2013, 12:12 PM
I don't use 4320 because I rarely shoot jacketed and it's a excellent powder for that, especially because of it's smaller grain size. It's burn rate is about 1/3 slower between 4064 and 4350.

I don't know how clean it burns in pressures below 40,000 but, that may be your biggest problem with the 32 Spec. as pressure goes down, using it. Just as a guess, if your going to use it, I would say to start 10% below 4064 and work up, using a chrono would help with seeing erratic pressures.

Sorry that I can't be of more help.

Doc.Holliday
06-07-2013, 03:39 PM
I had reasoned the start might be 25 or 26 grains working up in 1/2 grain steps. i never went over 30 grains of 3031 in the 32 special as the gains are minimum and It is a 32 special that cannot be reloaded to magnum velocity or energy so what would be the the point?
Canada or Mexico no elephants here or there ha ha.
Yup I got agree with you Char Gar, I would stay out of Northern Mexico as well, mind you I hear the border area of Texas might not be WHERE I would want to live either but I wouldn't question your good judgement . I just happen to like the beach when she starts to ice up here.
anyway thanks for your input

Doc.