PDA

View Full Version : Look What I found in my Linotype!

rbertalotto
06-07-2013, 07:46 AM
A neighbor who knows I cast bullets gave me a couple coffee cans of Linotype a while back. I was mixing it with pure lead, a handfull at a time, when something happened to catch my eye.

http://images55.fotki.com/v1603/photos/3/36012/69369/NRALinotype-vi.jpg

Interesting find to say the least!

imashooter2
06-07-2013, 07:50 AM
Very nice! That one would go on the shelf for looking at if it were mine. I've seen some interesting logos over the years, but nothing that I would save from the pot.

41 mag fan
06-07-2013, 07:50 AM
I'd keep that...not throw it in the melt. NRA might even be interested in it as part of their history collection.

possom813
06-07-2013, 07:57 AM
How big is it? I'm assuming roughly the same size as other lino, but there isn't anything to compare it to in the pic.

Pretty cool, no matter the size, if it's not something that floats your boat as a nicknack, you could definitely sell it here, maybe auction style or as a site benefit auction.

Just a thought, cool little piece of lead

Char-Gar
06-07-2013, 08:00 AM
That was not the National Rifle Association but the National Recovery Act. A FDR program to help recover from the depression that was declared unconstitutional by the Supreme Court.

Vopie
06-07-2013, 08:02 AM
I believe that is from the National Recovery Act of the 30's, not the National Rifle Assoc.

rbertalotto
06-07-2013, 08:18 AM
WOW! I didn't even think about that! As National Recovery Act it might have great widespread value!

But it does say "NRA Member"...."We Do Our Part"

The eagle is holding a bunch of lightning bolts and a gear wheel.

it is roughly a 5/8" cube

I need to look through those cans before I melt anything else.....

boltons75
06-07-2013, 08:20 AM
Yep national recovery,
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Recovery_Administration

rbertalotto
06-07-2013, 08:25 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/3b/NewDealNRA.jpg

New Deal NRA..........The beginning of the end of a GREAT country.....Where all "Gimmi" programs started!

We are now into the 5th generation of some folks NOT DOING THEIR PART!!!

Teddy (punchie)
06-07-2013, 09:41 AM
I in a way I see a need for these programs. NOW THAT SAID I THINK THEY NEED TO WORK, NOT SIT AND COLLECT A FREE RIDE!!! Reasons maybe for free ride : people that are sick and need help, too old (health). Other then that make them pick up trash, clean out a stream or creek, clean walking trails in a park. Most we already paing for there health care, so what if they get hurt. Many other areas they can help out, but they should do community service, I'm talking 30-50 hours a week, most are not going to work very well. No free ride.

Bzcraig
06-07-2013, 09:52 AM
Either way that is a great conversation piece! Great find.

bangerjim
06-07-2013, 10:02 AM
Do not EVER meld down large print or logo blocks like that!!!!!

They are worth money to type collectors like me. I have an antique press and have drawers full of those. Over 900#. Will NEVER melt them down. Will buy Lino for Roto before destroying history like that.

Worth to much as historic items.

KCSO
06-07-2013, 10:08 AM
That's not OUR NRA it's from the 30's National Recovery Act IIRR take it to Pawn Stars.

GlocksareGood
06-07-2013, 10:16 AM
Are those large blocks not usually monotype?

STP22
06-07-2013, 10:47 AM
That looked familiar so I just dug thru some things and found that I have one of those window posters. It measures 14"X11".

Neato!

mroliver77
06-07-2013, 11:31 AM
So was this before NRA or any logo was copyrighted? Or did fdr just ignore the law on that too?
J

GOPHER SLAYER
06-07-2013, 02:24 PM
I bought about forty pounds of print type in a yard sale and found the attached piece in it. The letter in the center is replaceable.

captaint
06-07-2013, 02:51 PM
Yes. The blocks are monotype. The strips are linotype. Mike

Char-Gar
06-07-2013, 03:06 PM
Do not EVER meld down large print or logo blocks like that!!!!!

They are worth money to type collectors like me. I have an antique press and have drawers full of those. Over 900#. Will NEVER melt them down. Will buy Lino for Roto before destroying history like that. Worth to much as historic items.

I recently bought 100 pounds of type metal, with all kinds of letters and designs on it, as the person told me it was lino. It is softer than line and about Bhn 10 or 11. Do you have any idea what this stuff is?

Bullwolf
06-07-2013, 06:03 PM
I kept a few pieces of Mono-type from back in the family printing business days.

I recently found a mono block with the old General Tire Logo.

It's about a 1 inch x 2 inch block.

I use it as a paper weight on my reloading table. Most of the blocks were harder than my small type letters, or any Lines of type (Linotype). My spacers were all over the place from soft to hard.

I still have quite a few individual letters that I still haven't gotten around to melting down yet.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=52418&thumb=1&d=1403145390

- Bullwolf

David2011
06-07-2013, 07:00 PM
Guys,

It's been a long time since I took Typography in college but I believe those large pieces are Foundry Type. It's much harder and larger than Monotype. Monotype is small, text sized type that ran on rails in response to the keyboard letter being pressed and when the printing job was done the Monotype was returned to its storage location in the typesetting machine. Each letter had a unique profile that made it possible to mechanically sort. Foundry type was set by hand and was often used in display ads. A professor told us that computer and photo set type was a fad that would pass and hot set type would prevail. I kinda wish he had been right.

David

fatelk
06-07-2013, 07:52 PM
A friend of mine had one of those old NRA posters hanging in his workshop by his reloading setup. I never had the heart to tell him it wasn't the NRA he thought it was.

Neat find on the type block. Definitely one worth saving even if it's the wrong NRA!

Shiloh
06-08-2013, 10:59 AM
I believe that is from the National Recovery Act of the 30's, not the National Rifle Assoc.

Correct. The lightning bolts are what did it for me.
Still worth keeping out of the melt.

Shiloh

BubbaJon
06-08-2013, 04:13 PM
Very nice! That one would go on the shelf for looking at if it were mine. I've seen some interesting logos over the years, but nothing that I would save from the pot.
Heck yeah! Nice find!

Smoke4320
06-08-2013, 04:36 PM
That NRA would be a collectable history item in my book .. cool !!

pls1911
06-09-2013, 08:43 AM
Nice pick!!
Out of a 55 drum of Lino and BIG block print, I have maybe 100 neat little artistic castings.
Most are commercial logos and colun separations or seasonal in nature. Would be a neat collector hobby.