PDA

View Full Version : Fine tuning the lee Powder dispenser

kbstenberg
06-07-2013, 07:46 AM
In the near past someone posted how to fill the pours in the Lee perfect power dispenser. But I cant find the post. If someone could give me directions on the post or the process. Please help. Kevin

Maven
06-07-2013, 11:37 AM
Kevin, You may want to sort through these: http://www.google.com/cse?cx=001951264366462437169%3Aggn3vg-bjum&ie=UTF-8&q=fine+tuning+the+Lee+Perfect+powder+measure&sa=Search

mdi
06-07-2013, 12:31 PM
What model powder measure? Lee make a couple different types.

john hayslip
06-07-2013, 12:49 PM
I think I was the one who posted the solution out of the cast bullet society magazine. Send me a snail mail address and I'll copy and send you a copy of the article.

repawn
06-07-2013, 01:01 PM
Not sure exactly which powder measure you have but this is what I have done with the perfect powder measure.

Wipe the inside with a dryer sheet.
Then fill with powder.
Set it to dump a good amount a powder - like 40 grains.
Cycle all the powder out of it.

Then use as normal.
That worked very well for me. Not sure if it will help you though.

PS Paul
06-07-2013, 01:25 PM
What model powder measure? Lee make a couple different types.

I'm thinkin' he means the Lee Perfect Powder Measure in drum-style and not the Pro Auto Disk? There are guys who have tuned these powder measures up with graphite, dryer softener sheets, judicious polishing, etc.

I used one for years and it only caused issues with ball powders like 296. It would have to be "loosened" then it would dribble/leak a fair amount of powder to make it work. but it does work. I know there is an article on lasc.us that states it is to be avoided due to a mishap with Unique flake powder, but if they are broken in well, I've NEVER had this issue. In fact, I've found they work pretty well with flake powders..... Just my .02

joec
06-07-2013, 01:27 PM
Not sure exactly which powder measure you have but this is what I have done with the perfect powder measure.

Wipe the inside with a dryer sheet.
Then fill with powder.
Set it to dump a good amount a powder - like 40 grains.
Cycle all the powder out of it.

Then use as normal.
That worked very well for me. Not sure if it will help you though.

I did the same with graphite dry lube I bought at Lowes. It worked well and when I used it was real easy to get it set to the perfect drop with both flake and stick powders. I've not tried it with small grain powders as for that I use the Lee Pro Disk system. I do have LPP mounted to the Lee Powder through expander die using an adapter by http://store.gun-guides.com/Perfect-Adapters-_c_12.html I use it mostly for my 45-70 rifle loads.

Wheeljack
06-07-2013, 02:16 PM
In the near past someone posted how to fill the pours in the Lee perfect power dispenser. But I cant find the post. If someone could give me directions on the post or the process. Please help. Kevin
Not quite sure what you mean. If you mean how to get an accurate and constant fill, I can tell you what I found. Disregard all the tapping stuff. I disregard all the numbers on the Metering Rod and Thimble. Well, of course you do have to get to the neighborhood to start. Then it's just turning the metering rod in and out until you get to the weight you want. What works best for me is no tapping or bumping. Carefully turn the lever to the filling position. Do not slap it into position, just gently raise the lever to its top position for filling. Wait a second or two then smoothly bring the lever down to empty the powder into the shell. Again no tapping or bumping. This gave me the most consistent loads.
I also made a baffle for the hopper (I cut up a soda can for the material), I use the measure fitted directly into the Expander Die and I had to add shims to make the rotor fit better and stop powder from squeezing out. If none of this is or any use to you, please restate what your trouble is. I couldn't find the other article either.
http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd493/WaltStanley/Measurefix_zps360a2e50.jpg (http://s1222.photobucket.com/user/WaltStanley/media/Measurefix_zps360a2e50.jpg.html)

kbstenberg
06-07-2013, 09:48 PM
Wheeljack Where my dispenser leaks is around the drum where it mates with the housing. If I remember correctly a solvent is mixed with graphite to fill the pores of the drum and housing. Kevin

Wheeljack
06-08-2013, 12:19 AM
Wheeljack Where my dispenser leaks is around the drum where it mates with the housing. If I remember correctly a solvent is mixed with graphite to fill the pores of the drum and housing. Kevin
If you use the parts names that Lee uses, it makes things clearer. My leak was between the Body (part AP1645D) and the Rotor (A649) at the point I show in the photo. I used powdered graphite on the rotor and in the body. I unscrewed the rotor from the body and coated the meshing surfaces with the powder, put the parts back together tightly and worked the Lever (AP1541) back and forth for a good while. But the shims I made up from a couple of pieces of metal and forced against the measuring chamber put pressure of the rotor opposite of where the shims were and that stopped my leakage. I used the graphite to get smoother turning but not to stop the powder leaks. Of course you have to keep the rotor screwed in as tight as you can and still get smooth turning.