PDA

View Full Version : Hygenall LeadOff FOAMING wash for Hands & Face - Anyone tried this?

orisolo
06-07-2013, 04:54 AM
Hi Guys,
I was reading somewhere that lead doesn't come off ez from your skin with regular soup.
Which lead me to a small research.

I found the D-Lead soup on Amazon that should be made specially for heavy metals and was mentioned in the post i was reading.

Digging more i found this product but i know nothing about.
What do you guys think?

Here is the Highlights of it:
"Hygenall LeadOff Foaming Soap does everything regular soap does, plus one more thing: Hygenall foaming soap breaks the electromagnetic bond between skin and Lead, and is made under license from the Centers for Disease Control. Meets EPA rules for lead dust removal."

http://www.theleadoffstore.com/Hygenall-LeadOff-FOAMING-wash-for-Hands-Face-1-gallon-HN21121G.htm

btroj
06-07-2013, 07:00 AM
I just wash a couple times with regular soap. I am not dealing with "lead dust" so I don't worry about it. I think those products are geared more towards industry where people are working with fine particles that key imbed in the skin a bit. I am not generally working with anything that fine so I don't think a special soap is required.

dbosman
06-07-2013, 01:29 PM
I agree with the fine particle theory.
I worked as clean up labor in a sinter plant and coke plant, way back when, summers to pay for college. The iron dust and coal dust got inside your pores. Washing took care of most of it, but if you floated in a swimming pool, a fine red or black halo would surround you after a few minutes.

nhrifle
06-07-2013, 09:59 PM
Never tried washing with soup. Usually just eat the stuff.:kidding:

Sorry, brought out my inner smarta$$!!

06-08-2013, 05:44 AM
I usually use one of the familiar auto parts store grease/grime removers such as "Goop" or "Simple Orange" to get any lead residue off my hands before going inside to use soap and water.

mikeyjones
06-08-2013, 08:45 AM
I used to use dlead but it started getting too expensive so now I just use the automotive stuff.

ssnow
06-08-2013, 12:53 PM
"breaks the electromagnetic bond between skin and lead..."

I'm no expert on the subject :) But it seems to me that the lead would need to be magnetic before there was a need for a product to break the magnetic bond. Just saying....:)

Idz
06-08-2013, 03:43 PM
I agree the advertising is using psuedo-science hokum in their electromagnetic claim. The EPA used to recommend phosphate detergents (i.g. TSP) to clean up lead. It seems the lead is converted to insoluble compounds and becomes harmless. Unfortunately the greenies have now got phosphates banned from detergents, which is why your dishwasher no longer cleans very well. Anybody know whats in D-Lead?

MrWolf
06-08-2013, 05:22 PM
From my bottle of D-Lead: Water, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Sodium Dodecyl Benzene Sulphonate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Sodium Phosphonate, Sodium Chloride, Cocamide DEA, para-Chloro-meta-xylenol, Propylene Glycol, Fragrance, D&C Red #33, FD&C Red #4.

I use it so I don't glow in the dark :kidding: Don't know if it really works but figure it can't hurt.

dbosman
06-08-2013, 06:37 PM
Sodium Laureth Sulfate .....surfactant
Sodium Dodecyl Benzene Sulphonate .....component of detergents
Cocamidopropyl Betaine .....surfactant
Sodium Phosphonate .....salt of phosphonate ?? Component of detergent ??
Sodium Chloride .....Salt
Cocamide DEA .....foaming agent
para-Chloro-meta-xylenol .....anti microbial
Propylene Glycol .....penetration enhancer .....helps get the detergent in your skin

stink and color.

orisolo
06-08-2013, 06:50 PM
Hi Guys,
Thanks for all the input.

come to think of this i do have few lb's of TSP somewhere in the garage.
I didn't know they don't sell it anymore.

I will order this product and give it a try, i guess it can not harm.

AlfredD
06-12-2013, 10:08 AM
I am not familiar with Hygenall LeadOff foaming wash, but I suspect it is the same thing that we were issued in the Army because the Army package said Hygenall FieldWash on it, which I cant find anywhere. I found the Hygenall FieldWipes, and Hygenall ToxOff on Brownells.

With respect to lead being magnetic, if I remember from chemistry class, all elements are either Anionic (negative charged), Cationic (positive charged). Lead, or Pb is Cationic, therefore maintains a positive charge, and since most surfaces and skin are negative charged, the positive charged lead will stick, and I think that is what the Hygenall people are saying on their website.

I will list off the Hygenall ingredients when I get some, but the D-Lead soap ingredients look to be the same as any regular soap or soup, whichever you prefer.

I know nothing about TSP, but i think you have to be careful about poisoning or burning yourself. I would just go with regular soap.

Idz
06-12-2013, 12:00 PM
I think the active ingredient in D-Lead may be the sodium phosphonate. Its a chelating agent like EDTA. I wouldn't use TSP as a hand soap since its a super degreaser and etches paint. You can still find TSP in the paint section of hardware stores but you have to check the label that its trisodium phosphate. They market other junk with a TSP label that is just detergent and doesn't work very well for cleaning.

fredj338
06-12-2013, 03:10 PM
I don't think it does any better than soap & water.

Idz
06-13-2013, 12:05 PM
Actually the chelating agents clean lead a lot better than handwashing. For more than you'd ever want to know about it see:
http://www.astm.org/DIGITAL_LIBRARY/JOURNALS/JAI/PAGES/JAI103527.htm
But wearing gloves and a mask when handling lead (especially dust) works even better. Wash your clothes with a tablespoon or so of TSP added to the detergent and you're good to go.
Since my generation was exposed to lead toys, lead paint, lead fishing sinkers crimped with our teeth, lead solder, and lead ammunition and yet still managed to invent jet airplanes, rockets to the moon, computers, nuclear power, amazing medical advances, and a bunch of other stuff I'm not too concerned about the hysteria some people have over miniscule amounts of lead.

AlfredD
06-13-2013, 03:37 PM
The link you supplied goes to an article written by the CDC scientists that invented Hygenall.

I am more worried about my kids being exposed to lead than I am myself. I got so much lead and other **** on me in the Afghan desert, I am probably too far gone to worry much about lead dust.

landers
06-13-2013, 10:38 PM
I do use the D-Lead soap for the end of a casting session but I use the regular auto type during casting and reloading. I don't know if it works any better but I figure it cant hurt at the end of a good casting day.

orisolo
06-14-2013, 04:10 AM
I agree, There must be a lot of hype around lead since it is probably paying for someone to push it.
Its like Freon that destroys the Ozone layer that was "discovered" right before the patent expired on it.
"Freon is bad" research financed by DuPont corp (Freon patent holder) R134 is much better, the new thing in town (patented by DuPont) interesting...

My generation grew up in a smoking environment, My dad smoked in the house, people smoked in the bus and movies, My bank manager used to offer me a cigarette in the early 90's when we meet at the branch.
This days you smoke in the park on the beach or the sidewalk and someone from across the street is coming to complain.
Cigarette are bad? Yes!, Are they so bad as it sound today?
I would think the young generation would not exist today since my generation should have been long dead.
Out of proportions.
(Yes, they should ban cigarettes once and for all if you ask me.)

But, ignoring the fashionable hype, I do have children in the house and wouldn't want to risk them with anything that might harm them.

I ordered the D-lead soup for a "bargain" price of $12/8oz I will probably order next time the gallon from the link above since its cheaper for the long run.

Better safe then sorry? YES

P.s I thank everyone who voiced and shared their opinions and experiences with me and the community.

orisolo
06-14-2013, 04:17 AM
When i was in the army during training we would run and shoot the whole day hundreds or thousands of rounds. We would have tanks and artillery shooting around us.
On the breaks we would open our field rations and eat with our hands.
We didn't have soup and not always washed our hands.
I don't remember any of us dying from lead poisoning.

Need to keep everything in proportions.