PDA

View Full Version : Teaching a left handed twelve year old

L Ross
06-06-2013, 09:40 PM
I have found a worthy candidate and he only lives a couple of miles away. Good family, supportive parents and the kid loves to shoot.
His Mom and Dad have a Ruger GP-100 in 38 spl. We worked on that two weeks ago, and 7 m/m Rem. Mag for his Dad's rifle last weekend.
The lad is a lefty and we are both finding this a challenge. We were casting with a 4 cav. H&G #50 38 wadcutter mould. He found it a bit heavy for his wrist and awkward for left handed operation. We did manage to cast up a couple hundred, mixed up some Recluse lube and loaded 150 rounds. Any advice from veteran left handed casters/loaders? Can I reverse the blocks so he can hit the sprue cutter with his left hand?
He is reading my Lyman Cast Loading Manual and he has been on line quite a bit dreaming of equipment. He told his Mom he can get everything he needs for $1,200.00. I explained to her that we can get by for much much less.

Duke

texassako
06-07-2013, 10:49 PM
I turn the mold on its side and give it a tap down with a rag below to keep the sprue plate from hitting the table, or if pressing open with a gloved hand I put my thumb on the left block side and pull with my fingers(thumb gets pretty hot). I have learned to do it as a righty would as well and it helps the wrists with the heavy ones to switch.

454PB
06-07-2013, 11:09 PM
I'm a lefty. My advice is to let him do whatever feels natural, but adapt to a right handed world. All my long guns are right handed, I play guitar right handed, and do all the "swing sports" right handed. The key is to begin right handed if possible.

Power tools are a royal pain for us lefties, and some are even dangerous...such as the locking function on drills, and the guides on saws.

gmsharps
06-08-2013, 03:28 AM
It seems that most lefties are more adept at being ambidextrous than righties. We live in a right hand world but if you really look at it things are not that bad. Look at Colt SAA those are made to be shot left handed and use the right hand for the ejection. I only own 1 left handed rifle. I concentrate on a good first shot and if placed properly you have plenty of time for a follow up. I have heard the issues with AR rifles and brass hitting you in the face or down your shirt. I only saw this issue with General Motors M16's the H&R's and Colts worked fine. When casting I use either hand depending on how tired I am and switch off from time to time. I see no need to modify anything as that usually puts the mold at ackward angles and then safety becomes an issue. Ever drive stick shift vehicle? I would rather use my dominant left arm to control the vehicle and right to shift than the other way around. Maybe we are in more of a left hand world than we are wiling to admit.

gmsharps

Lefty SRH
06-08-2013, 08:34 AM
I'm a Lefty also and have had to adapt to a RH world the best I can. I competed and learned to shoot a RH bolt rifle in high school and was very successful. BUT when it was time to buy my first high powered bolt rifle I ordered a LH Savage and I still have that rifle. Whenever possible I bought LH bolt rifles. I only have 2 RH bolr rifles, one I got at a steal of a price and the other is a mil-surp Mauser.
Casting....? I have know idea if I'm doing it LH or RH....lol I hold the mold in my LH and the hammer in my RH. Sometimes you don't have a choice and have to go RH.
Like one said, be there for his safety but let him do the job and fingure out the best way fro himself.

country gent
06-08-2013, 09:18 AM
Reloading, casting, and such. set him accross from you and let him watch what you do and the movements then have him do a dry run working out whats comfortable for him. The movements will be the same somewhat just from diffrent hands. Molds can be turned in the handles if it makes it easier for him. A leather or wooden malltet might be easier for him to break sprues with than a dowel or hammer handle. Let Him work and decide what He needs to do. Lefties can be diffrent but its still the same basic movements. Have him dry run molds, sizers prep equipment and presses empty to decide what he needs to do before there is hot maetal or powder and primers there to make it so dangerous. Keep him safe and guide him thru.

Bucking the Tiger
06-08-2013, 10:13 AM
Am a Lefty and I do put the striking "ear" of the sprue plate away from the handles. I hold the mould in my left hand and open the pot's valve( bottom pour) with right. Then pass the mould to right hand and use wooden hammer handle with left hand to tap open sprue and drop bullets.

Artful
06-08-2013, 10:26 AM
I started as a Lefty but my folks forced me to be righty - Now I'm an Ambi (can do most everything with either hand)

Some rifles (Single Shots for example) work well as lefty guns - you can find dedicated lefty bolt guns - some lever guns and semi-auto's work well from left shoulder. I actually find Colt SAA to be more left friendly than other revolvers (S&W). I don't remember casting left handed except the Lee 6 Bangers.

L Ross
06-10-2013, 09:17 AM
Thanks for the responses everyone, you are all taking part in training this young man. I learned something else this weekend. I forgot that a 12 yr. old boy does not have the strength of a man yet. In particular I watched him struggle to close the bolt on the Springfields we were shooting with cast Saturday. The rounds were loaded to firmly engrave into the rifling. When he could not get the bolt closed with his right hand he would try to reach over the action with his "stronger" left hand.
The super cool part though was the dawning of understanding as he realized how pleasant a 30-06 could be with cast bullet loads. How accurate they were, how hard they smacked the steel discs off the rail.
Of course there is always a problem when a new shooter uses the gear and ammo of an experienced shooter. It seems so easy until the learning curve raises its ugly head.

Duke

sundog
06-10-2013, 09:22 AM
You might want to determine his dominant eye before you get to far along on shooting. If it is the right, he might want to learn to shoot right handed, or otherwise accommodate for right eye dominance, such as an eye patch.

Jim
06-10-2013, 09:35 AM
Another 'south paw' here.

As has been mentioned, I set the blocks with the sprue cutter tongue away from the handles. I've got more manual dexterity in my left hand, so I hold the mold in my right and cast/cut sprues with my left.

I developed osteoarthritis in my elbows a coupla' years back. Holding and supporting a heavy mold became difficult, so I find using multiple cavity big block molds to be very 'user unfriendly'.

When I brought this up some time back, RayinNH sent to me as a gift one of his custom made small casting ladles. That made a huge difference for me. I still use it to this day and think of Ray quite often when I cast.

I clearly understand the difficulties we lefties face living in a right handed world. I also understand the problem of the lack of strength. Twenty years ago, I would say I do this and I do that. Now I have to say I 'usta' do this and that.

L Ross
06-10-2013, 09:38 AM
Ya know Sundog, I never even thought to check because he came to me as his family "sharp shooter." All of his adult relatives like to tell about the boy's prowess with a gun or bow. His folks bought him a Tikka left hand bolt 30-06 and he and his Dad were on one ridge and the youngster dropped a nice buck on the opposite ridge about 180 yards away. The first day he was here I dragged out a Martini "Famous 12" and after he mowed down a bunch of 4" steel squares at 80 yards from a rest I knocked off a couple off hand. He wanted to try that and smacked 3 in a row. I have watched him shoot from either shoulder but he prefers left handed. Next visit I'll check his master eye situation. I can shoot from either side with both eyes open, long gun or hand gun and practice that regularly, but am strongly right handed and right eyed.

Duke

popper
06-10-2013, 10:01 AM
Mom is a south paw, always gets to sit at the end of the table, I'm a righty. I'm right eye dominant but that one doesn't work so well, I learned to shoot rifle left handed with iron sights.
I hold the mold in my right and cast/cut sprues with my left. Gee is there another way to do it? Adapt to a RH world. For the heavy mould, let him rest it on something while pouring, waiting for the sprue to cool, etc. to save strength. I have 1 GS that is right eyed, left footed and pretty much ambidextrous handed but bats right, the way he was taught.

Nickle
06-10-2013, 06:31 PM
You might want to determine his dominant eye before you get to far along on shooting. If it is the right, he might want to learn to shoot right handed, or otherwise accommodate for right eye dominance, such as an eye patch.

I can't echo this enough. I'm an instructor, been the Chief Master Instructor of Project Appleseed. Taught tons of newbies and experienced shooters. He really should shoot with his dominant eye. My son is a lefty, right eye dominant (righty shooter). My girlfriend is a righty, left eye dominant (lefty shooter, w/ righty guns at that). They call it "cross eye dominance".

You can force eye dominance, but it's best with optics.

300winmag
06-10-2013, 06:55 PM
My girlfriend is a righty, left eye dominant (lefty shooter, w/ righty guns at that). They call it "cross eye dominance".

I know that feeling, been doing it for 45 years.

Nickle
06-10-2013, 07:02 PM
Funny thing is, before me, she was using her left eye, shooting as a righty!

I picked up on that right off. Since, have had her do that as a "shooter" at an instructor training course. Stumped a few of them for a bit.

brow_tines
06-10-2013, 07:07 PM
This is how I do it also

Am a Lefty and I do put the striking "ear" of the sprue plate away from the handles. I hold the mould in my left hand and open the pot's valve( bottom pour) with right. Then pass the mould to right hand and use wooden hammer handle with left hand to tap open sprue and drop bullets.

NLS1
09-09-2013, 10:40 PM
As a lefty, I have learned on all right handed guns, or those that are fine for either.

I actually prefer right handed guns, except for an ambidextrous thumb safety on the 1911, and a tang safety instead of the slide safety on a long gun. Even ar platforms are better as a lefty, you never have to move your firing hand. With semi auto handguns your trigger finger does the job of the thumb for slide release, mag release. Double action revolvers you use your left thumb for the cylinder release, push through with the right hand, hold the cylinder/frame with right thumb that just pushed the cylinder through, eject with left hand, and reload, it's very quick. And single actions are easier for lefties since the grip stays in your hand for loading and unloading. No difference for pump or lever actions, especially pre-slide safety guns. Single shots, no difference.

The only time a right handed gun really hangs me up is with a right handed bolt gun with a long scope while standing. Otherwise a right handed bolt gun is way nicer when on a bench, prone, or on sticks. Bull pups I have never messed with and are probably a huge pain.

When casting I usually bump the sprue plate with my right hand with a rubber mallet, while holding the handles in my left and operating the bottom pour with my right since the handle is on the right. If the handle for the bottom pour were on the left I would do it the opposite.

I bet your young friend is largely ambidextrous like most lefties learn to be, myself included. In short order he will easily overcome any difficulty using a right handed gun, and may prefer it actually.

And great job helping that young man, what a cool thing to do for someone outside your family, he will no doubt appreciate it all of his life!

I have a box of 100 hornady j words in 30 cal for his .30-06 I would be happy to send if he want to cover the shipping, I won't be needing them, cast only in my 30-30 from now on.

Dan

LynC2
09-10-2013, 01:02 AM

I agree as I have read that the dominant eye is the one that should determine it as it is easier to retrain the body than the brain. I shoot a rifle LH, but a pistol RH. Actually I shoot either pretty well either way, but I was pretty much ambidextrous from childhood and recall playing baseball left handed. The bad thing is I was self taught and my master eye is the right one. I had a heck of a time using my left eye for shooting since the right one had the stronger image. One can block the view while learning, but it takes a long time from my experience. BTW, I'm pretty much right handed now after years of adapting to a right handed world.

winelover
09-10-2013, 07:59 AM

I too, find this the best way, except I don't switch hands to cut the sprue.

Winelover

myg30
09-10-2013, 08:46 AM
I too, find this the best way, except I don't switch hands to cut the sprue.

Winelover

Same here. I've found that some times I just push the spruce open with my gloved right thumb depending on how hard the mix is. If I need to wack it then the mallet is also in my right hand. I try to put a spacer under the heavy molds to rest them on during long cast sessions to keep my wrist from hurting. I started this way and don't know if its a left or right thing..... but it works fer me too.

Mike

mroliver77
09-12-2013, 09:02 AM
I am right handed. I was left eye dominate and dad taught me to shoot lefty. I lost my right eye at 8 years old. People asked if I had to relearn to shoot. It had never dawned on me before that that I was shooting "wrong".
Dad was a lefty and they tied his left arm up as a child to make him use the right. He claimed it just gave him a resentment! lol He said the military really frowned on lefties in WW2 and Korea. He was told the M1 Carbine and the M1 Garand would hit you with brass. Nope. He also shot a Mod. 12 Winchester and was amazing with it! No empties in the face.

My friends laugh at me as I carry the Mod 12 kinda weird so as to work the safety and having a stiff neck I have learned to move my body to compensate. They Laugh like mad at me when a rabbit goes out at 7-10 oclock as I turn "the wrong way" to get a bead on it.
But on topic, being a mechanic and a builder I use both hands pretty well. I still am very right handed but can learn any task requiring dexterity very quickly. I even keep my mold, and mallet in my hands at all times while casting and find no need to contort cut the sprue and roll the mold to dump the treasure.
After being busted up a bunch in a car wreck I went through a rehab program to make me employable as a semi cripple. There was lots of dexterity testing involved. The state employed personnel almost all were wimpy academic types. The type that seems to like having power over a big man.(Know the type?) One particular wuss didn't like me and seemed jealous that I performed most tasks with ease. Some he would say things like"Only females are proficient at this type of manipulation" Or even" Go ahead and watch this take you down a notch or two" or some other cut down. There was even a crude landing simulator that included the use of both hands and feet and finger manipulation. After a warm up I eased through it. I am not bragging but saying that while some of this is natural ability, I worked at training my hand eye coordination and was successful at it if I set my mind to doing it. You see I was told I had a handicap missing the right eye. I have been told hundreds of times that I have NO depth perception. I like to throw a punch at people that tell me this and just barely touch their nose.

I didn't mean to write a book but just wanted to point out that one can train themselves If they have a goal and then practice until it is ingrained in the brain. One can also relearn things if the motivation is there. No need to stand on your head to function in a right handed world!
J

jakharath
09-12-2013, 09:43 AM
Sadly we live in a right handed world. Have him do whatever feels comfortable. You should see me using a right handed bolt rifle, it's all kinds of funny. I'm 41 and still have problem with those darn right handed hammers. ;)

L Ross
09-20-2013, 10:26 PM
NLS1, thanks for the offer of the Hornadys but I found a box of bulk WW power point 150's I'd forgotten I even had.
I gave him a Commission rifle back on his 13th birthday near the end of June and he absolutely love that old rifle. He likes to tell people he has a gun 110 ears older than he is. You lefty guys are correct, he manages to shoot that old bolt gun just fine. Still working on casting, it was so hot for a while we did bother with it, now he's back in school. He wants to practice some clay bird shooting with a shotgun tomorrow.

Duke